X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wierdscience
    • Jan 2003

Sandblast gun pics

As promised the pics of my sand blast gun.

It's a copy of one from an Econoline cabinet.The body is made from brass,it's what I had,it can also be aluminum or steel even plastic like UHMW for that matter.

The body of the gun is 2-3/8" long over all.The carbide nozzle in front requires a 9/16" bore for a depth of 1-3/8",the airjet in the back requires a 1/2" bore throught the remaining 1".
    The sand pickup tube in the bottom is simply a section of 5/8"OD tubing slipped into place with a little loctite to retain it in the bore.There are two 1/4-20" setscrews one to retain the nozzle and one for the airjet.

The air supply connects to the airjet and is controlled via a foot valve on the floor.I have mine connected to a short whip with a quick connect on the end,this way I can unplug and use the gun for blasting outside of the cabinet.

The parts for the unit can be purchased from McMaster Carr and are as follows-
    1/4" 12cfm carbide sand nozzle item #328k71 $27.24
    5/16" 25 cfm carbide sand nozzle item #328k72
    $30.14

1/8" airjet item #328k68 $12.18

5/32" airjet item #328k73 $12.18

The nozzle size depends of course on the size of your compressor,the 12cfm works great on a five hp two stage unit.The 25 works on a 7-1/2-10 hp unit.

The 1/8" airjet is for the 1/4" nozzle and the 5/32 for the 5/16".

The nozzles are solid carbide and will last a very long time,if you don't want to spring for the carbide you can make your own simply by maching one from O-1 drill rod and hardening it glass hard and not drawing down the temper.The air jet I would buy since it incldes the carbide jet tip and the brass fittings to connect the unit to air.

If a person wanted to they could size down the nozzle size and the sand pickup.I think 3/16 would suffice for the nozzle bore and the pickup could be cut down to 1/2" tubing.

One word for those who might want to make the're own nozzles.The hole is drilled straight through,but has a 60* counter sink on the sand end to help the sand flow.

This gun is a vast improvement over the pistolgrip guns most cabinets have since the airflow though the nozzle is unrestricted.

I just need one more tool,just one!
Working...
X