PDA

View Full Version : Tap storage?

panchula
11-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Does anyone else have problems keeping their taps stored in an organized manner? Most of my taps have come to me as hand me downs (I found six taps and an endmill buried in the sump sludge of my Colchester) without any sort of container,much less an organizer. How do you store your taps?

-Mike

Evan
11-08-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't have a pic handy but I use a wood board with rows of appropriate sized holes drilled in it. Stick them in standing up, all similar sized ones together. I generally buy my taps as highest quality singles and so don't have a factory made tray to hold them.

C - ROSS
11-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Try to store mine in wood along with the correct drill bit.

Ross

SGW
11-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Quite a while ago I bought a plastic 60-drawer storage unit at K-Mart for about 14 bucks. It gives space enough to store everything from #0 to 1/2" NC, NF, NS, and then some. And it was cheap!

Paul Alciatore
11-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Check out my suggestion for reamer storage here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/005942.html

It's about 1/3 of the way down the page, with pictures.

Paul A.

joahmon
11-08-2005, 05:36 PM
I do same as SGW, except mine is a castoff from a neighbor that was moving.

Labels on the drawers make finding the right size a "walk in the park"

I cut the trays that some taps are shipped in to fit the drawers to keep the taper, plug, bottoming taps from banging on each other

[This message has been edited by joahmon (edited 11-08-2005).]

jkilroy
11-08-2005, 06:20 PM
http://www.huot.com/

gizmo2
11-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Accro Bins! (like SGW suggests) When you get a new size just reorganize. In the gunschmitten racket, you get some real oddballs, 1/4-22,25,32, plus the usual 20 and 28 count f'rinstance. So they each go into their own bin,with the correct tap drill, clearance drill, and the die and counterbore if I've got them. Then the whole drawer gets pulled when needed. New taps are kept seperated cuz sometimes a new tap is the only way to go. If a size is used frequently then the three tap set is procured (starter, plug, and bottom) Some you use ALL the time, you might end up with a dozen or more, and you really don't want them banging about. The old primer trays are good holders up to #10's, but the newer primer containers are individual pockets and not suitable. Left hand taps are clumped in their own drawer.I also label the tap and clearance sizes on the bin. It's worked pretty well!

nheng
11-08-2005, 10:18 PM
For 1/4" and up, I have them standing vertically in a 1" thick "rail" of maple. Having accumulated various duplicates over the years, I just drill more holes and shift them over. At a glance I can see the type of cut and the size and pitch are marked on the wood.

For smaller sizes, I put them in one of the Plano (one of the rare USA products at Wal-Mart) adjustable plastic boxes. Duplicates go in the same compartment. Odd sizes go in the same compartment as the standards (i.e. 6-48 gets dumped in with 6-32).

I'm finding that visibility (to me) seems to be more important than a nice file box. Just grab 'em and use 'em. Similar "in line" arrangments inside a drawer are pretty good too. Den

madman
11-09-2005, 10:41 AM
I use my old .45 acp ammo boxes. Go to your gun shop look at ammo storage boxes and kerfroink something might come to mind.

Forrest Addy
11-09-2005, 11:28 AM
I use a maple board drilled for the tap shanks. So why is it empty and why are there taps aall over the shop?

Rust is death on taps. Keep them clean and in a warm place.

david_r
11-09-2005, 12:18 PM
madman just gave me a really good idea. I picked up some plastic reloading boxes at harbor freight a few years ago (made in USA, thank you very much). The rifle ones are two piece that slide together and should be perfect for the taps that don't have boxes.

Leigh
11-09-2005, 06:33 PM
As with all hardened and sharpened tools, you must keep each one separate from the others. If they bump against each other, you can damage the cutting edges. Vertical holes in a block of plastic is one good solution. Wood absorbs moisture and could pose a rust problem over time.

------------------
Leigh

PolskiFran
11-09-2005, 08:42 PM
The next time you make manacotti at home save the plastic trays that the noodles come in. They don't keep the taps from banging together, but is does keep them sorted by size (0's, 1's, 2's, etc.) for easy picking. They are a little flimsy, but you can always double them up.

Frank

Buckshot
11-12-2005, 02:44 AM
.........I use various sizes of clear vinyl tube, bought by the foot at Lowes. Taps are kept in a labeled 40 drawer parts cabinet with their associated dies. Since this tube varies by 1/8" ID it isn't always a perfect fit.

In that case I use the next smaller size and cut a spiral slit in the tube and it gets wrapped around the tap. I use the same deal for oddball reamers that didn't come as a set, boxed or in indexs.

Endmills are kept this way and as most shanks are in 1/8ths, ie: 1/8, 1/4, 3/8's etc, the vinyl tubing slips over part of the shank but covers the sharpened flutes. The cost for the tubing is very reasonable, clean, cuts easily and as it's clear you can see the tool and it's condition.

Rick