PDA

View Full Version : propane conversions

Tuckerfan
08-17-2001, 04:31 PM
There's a couple of companies out there selling kits for cars. You might do a search for them and see if they've got any advice, or would be willing to do most of the hard work for you. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

halac
08-17-2001, 04:33 PM
I have a Generac 3.6kW generator in my Slide-in truck camper. Works like a charm. Oil stays clean and I don't have to worry about a carb gumming up with rotten gasoline. It runs off of vapor rather than liquid. I've also planning to covert a '70's vintage Onan to propane also. A friend of mine gave me the regulator and the LP carb. Now I just got to find the time to convert it over. Maybe I'll get it done by next hurricane season.

Hal C.

darryl
09-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Anyone ever do a propane conversion on a motorcycle?

wierdscience
09-27-2004, 09:01 PM
No,but all you need is a reg and vaporiser,oh you need hot water too.

But,uhhh... why do you want sissy fuel? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Jaymo
09-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Higher octane. You can run more compression/timing advance/both.
Your motor oil stays a LOT cleaner.

Jaymo
09-27-2004, 09:53 PM
You'll need a regulator(vaporizer), a filter, a fuel lockoff(part of the filter, if you use an Impco model J regulator and filter), and a carburetor. You'll need to run engine coolant to the regulator(to facilitate better vaporization).
I highly recommend the Impco model J reg/filter, and Impco CA55 carb. Stone reliable, durable, and simple to adjust.

wierdscience
09-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Jaymo,yes,the model J are excellent,and the motor will stay clean,but one more question,where will he fit the tank?

Surely the thing will require a 10lb cylinder if there are many cc's involved.

Jaymo
09-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Dammit, Wierdscience, now you're making me think. I don't like to do that at night. haha!
See, this is the danger of free advice, especially when the advisor is really tired.

I didn't think about the tank.
Run it off a couple of 1 pound Coleman tanks.
haha! Should get at least a couple of miles before it dies.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to ride a motorcycle with a 20+ pound bomb strapped to it.
The things are 2 wheeled deathtraps as it is. (although they are beautiful machines)
Strap a pressure vessel full of explosive petroleum distillate to it and it could be a really exciting crash. For a fraction of a second, anyway.
At least he'd go quickly, and not end up in Shephard Spinal Clinic.

speedy
09-28-2004, 03:14 AM
I was fitting LPG conversions to cars a couple of decades ago, mostly Impco as they were highly tunable and in my opinion miles better than Renzo Landi or any other brands of the time. It never crossed our minds to fit LPG while on a motorcycle, we found it easier to do it the conventional way http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif. We fitted CNG also, we would add all that extra weight to vehicles so they couild "save" money and gain"efficiency", it was a large joke at the publics` expense, a total waste of money and effort.Imagine that, 3000lb pressure tank sitting just inches from your back. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif
If your looking for more bang for your buck then use Avgas 100+ octain and do some basic flowing/ tuning mods.
cheers. Ken

darryl
09-28-2004, 04:02 AM
Just wondering. I had a chat with someone today who wanted to get away from the rotting gas syndrome when parking it for months at a time. There's always fuel conditioner, but he said he would prefer propane. I've never seen it done on a bike. Probably have to have a noise maker on the bike so it still sounds like a bike. I think it would be hard for anyone who has ridden to accept the weaker performance.
As far as the tank, I think someone could paint a cool scene on the side of a propane tank just as easily as a regular gas tank. Heck, mount it in place of the gas tank. If something goes wrong, you stand a pretty good chance of being thrown clear. Clear across town, that is, in bits and pieces.

Mark Jones
09-28-2004, 07:05 AM
The pressure in an lpg tank is about 90 psi.
it is over 100 octane but it has less calories...to take full advantage of it , you have to increase the compression ratio and fiddle about with the ignision advance curve.
the lpg take off is as liquid ...so has to come from the bottom of the tank or have a dip tube.
for small motorcycles ....they do a lot of conversions on go-karts ...so find a go-kart manufacturor and ask them about a kit of parts.
The tanks are heavy...something like 3-4 mm wall thickness.
I woulds say that the only feazable motorcycle to convert would be a Honda Goldwing or such like because the fuel tank is low down ......you would have to go for a total conversion ...would run on lpg only..you would then have to have a tank manufactured to take the place of the Goldwing fuel tank.....certified and tested to your regulations in your contry.
all the best...mark

wierdscience
09-28-2004, 08:05 AM
A gasoline engine running on propane works pretty good,but a diesil is poor at best.

The best propane setups I have seen have points dist. with flywieght advance.Other than that you end up with a "special" electronic ignition module that is only found on Mars for many$$$$$

Out of a 151ci four cylinder I can get maybe 6 hours if I don't flog it on a forklift,but thats a 40lb bottle and most of that is liquid so I still don't see much hope.

Plus even with hot water they run like crap till they warm up.

Chester
09-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Have an '89 Dodge van (5.2L) that was converted to propane (dual fuel) and no modifications were done except a "fix" on the ignition module to compensate for when the fuel pump is not running. Advantages are smoother running engine, cleaner oil and cost (propane is half the price of gas here) Just completed a 5200 km round trip to Newfoundland (all on propane) and the oil is just beginning to show some colour. Absolutely no problems, although propane does slow it down a bit on really steep grades.

speedy
09-30-2004, 02:39 AM
The best way to go with LPG is dedicated. I used to do vehicle conversions years ago when the NZ govt were doing the big push on conversions during the "oil scares". Dedicated `Impco` LPG conversions came up tops on the dyno, in most cases exceeding the performance figures for petrol. My son currently owns a Holden 3.8 v6 auto with dedicated Impco LPG and it can haul; on top of that the oil is clean, tune ups are hardly necessary except for plugs and leads
and the motor isn`t being worn out with carbon contamination. The only drawback is running out of fuel but a 9kg BBQ bottle can solve that problem.
cheers, Ken

laish
11-23-2005, 12:33 PM
hi i hope you will read this masege i nead sum halp with impco model j i have acar that run on lpg end its not working good with my sistem its landi hartog end i have a new impco j vaporizer and i dont know if it poseble to fit it on my sistem with raplacing only the vaporizer i dont know if i nead any carburator or what i have its inuf pleas help me

IOWOLF
11-23-2005, 05:21 PM
"Have an '89 Dodge van (5.2L) that was converted to propane (dual fuel) and no modifications were done except a "fix" on the ignition module to compensate for when the fuel pump is not running. Advantages are smoother running engine, cleaner oil and cost (propane is half the price of gas here) Just completed a 5200 km round trip to Newfoundland (all on propane) and the oil is just beginning to show some colour. Absolutely no problems, although propane does slow it down a bit on really steep grades."

You are not going to tell us this was on 1 tank of fuel,are you?

------------------
The tame Wolf !

Chester
11-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Nope! Many re-fills. You can expect to get 4 KM/L city and 5 KM/L Hwy on this one or similar eight cyl. vehicles. (did that NFLD trip again this past Sept. with same results)

Anyone interested in propane fuelling might find this helpful:

http://cars.rasoenterprises.com/index.html