PDA

View Full Version : Removing Chrome Plating

Yorkshireman
11-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi
I have a chrome plated tool, of which I'd like to use a part for a Live Steam Model.
How do I remove the Chrome Plating, so that I can prime and paint it like the rest of the model? A shiny bit of Chrome would look add on a locomotive.
Yorkshireman

Shuswap Pat
11-20-2005, 10:30 AM
If you have a 'chrome shop' near you, take it down, and they can strip the chrome off, in their chrome tank.

Swarf&Sparks
11-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Just de-plate it. Battery charger, tool +ve, any bit of scrap -ve. Salt water will do for electrolyte on a job that small. Just be aware that it will give off chlorine gas. Trisodium phosphate is a lot safer and usually available at home-brew stores.

Your Old Dog
11-20-2005, 11:01 AM
If you're sure it's tool steel it should be no problem. I once had a Vibroplex keyer de-chormed so that I could work on it and it turns out it was some kind of cast part that the de-chroming process left very porous and ruined the part.

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 11-20-2005).]

Swarf&Sparks
11-20-2005, 11:04 AM
Re reading your post,you probably don't even need to de-plate. Just etch enough to key your primer.
Rgds, Lin

Evan
11-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Decorative chrome plate is only a zillionth of an inch thick. Hydrochloric acid will take it off (muriatic acid at the hardware store) leaving the nickel substrate. Then paint or the nickel can be removed in an anodizing bath probably leaving copper which can be removed with sulphuric acid as well.

radish1us
11-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Why not just give it a quick hit with a sand blaster to rough it up and give the paint something to grip too, then into it with the paint

JCHannum
11-22-2005, 07:32 AM
I once deplated a Luger using a battery charger and battery electrolyte. It worked quite well, with very little damage to the substrate.

It only takes a few minutes, and the sulfuric acid is less damaging than hydrochloric.

astroracer
11-22-2005, 07:57 AM
All he has to do is rough it up a bit like a few others have mentioned. Removing the chrome is NOT necessary. Degrease it well after blasting or sanding and it will be ready for paint. I do this all the time with chrome car and truck grilles.
Mark

rsr911
11-22-2005, 07:26 PM
I usually remove chrome by parking in the wrong neighborhood..... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

------------------
-Christian D. Sokolowski

Yorkshireman
11-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks
I've used the sand blasting option and it worked very well.
Johannes, Yorkshireman