PDA

View Full Version : wire drills....How do you chuck them?

farmwrench
07-18-2001, 09:23 AM
I would like to make a very small hole,(<.045) but I do not know how to properly hold the drill bit. I have a set of wire drills, but can't use them for this reason. I picked up a jar of .046 (I think) drills and a K.R. Wilson tool holder for them in a box of junk from the church rummage sale but I am unsure of how to proceed smaller. I checked the index of the Enco cat. and didn't find anything.

bdarin
07-18-2001, 06:16 PM
I did this once using a tiny chuck from--I think--a dead Dremel tool. Took it apart, trued up the shaft, and held it in a bigger chuck. Worked ok, maybe I just got lucky on the trueness of both chucks. Good luck.

MikeHenry
07-18-2001, 09:15 PM
How about using a pin vise?

toff
07-18-2001, 11:45 PM
Hi,
You might try:
www.micromark.com/ (http://www.micromark.com/)
They have a lot of goodies that most of us didn't know existed. Model oriented and somewhat pricey. look for drill chuck adapters for Dremel tolls. Not as good as an Albrect but sufficient at 1 tenth the price.
Another is:
www.smallparts.com/ (http://www.smallparts.com/)
Expensive source for unobtainium but, have it when you need it.
toff

halfnut
07-19-2001, 05:53 AM
I have a 1/4 jacobs which I made arbor for paying close attention to run out. I have drilled several holes this size range with it. Fun part is finding center drill small enough. Even more fun is sharpening these little rascals, it can be done with a stone and a Jewelers Loope, I sure don't like doing it. But when the only drill you have is dull, and people are clamoring for this glue tip to keep the line going, you do it.

The best thing for this type of drilling is a sensitive finger arbor and an albreit chuck. They have about 1 of travel and a ring to push with.

Bought myself a 1/4 Albreich chuck on E-bay, I love it, been years since I had used the real thing. Waiting on glue nozzles, have a supply of #74 drill bits, won't have to resharpen.

farmwrench
07-19-2001, 08:12 AM
What is a pin vice?

JimH
07-19-2001, 02:31 PM
Look at the ebay auction below. It shows the Starrett set of 4 pin vises. If the URL doesn't come out correctly, just do a search in ebay on the item number at the end of the URL.
Jim

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1617155401

Ron LaDow
07-19-2001, 07:36 PM
Farmwrench,
A pin vice is usually a hand-held item with a 4-jaw collet chuck. The jaws essentially close to a zero diameter.
It's made specifically to hold really small shafts, drills, etc.
The one I have is double ended but the 'handle' is hex, so it could be gripped in a standard drill chuck.
To be honest, I've had it so long I have no idea where it came from. And I can't imagine ever wearing it out.
Try www.micromark.com (http://www.micromark.com)

[This message has been edited by Ron LaDow (edited 07-19-2001).]

roberlt
07-19-2001, 10:29 PM
I second Micromark.I needed to drill the tap hole for a 0-80 thread (in a part held in the lathe). I got the tap,drill,screws.and drill holder from them.

George Hodge
07-25-2001, 10:02 PM
Hey,Wrench,I've heard of wrapping a 1/2in. of the drill in small diameter solder and then gripping it in the drill chuck you have.Make the wraps close together and even 2 layers thick if it needs it! GH.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by farmwrench@aol:
I would like to make a very small hole,(&lt;.045) but I do not know how to properly hold the drill bit. I have a set of wire drills, but can't use them for this reason. I picked up a jar of .046 (I think) drills and a K.R. Wilson tool holder for them in a box of junk from the church rummage sale but I am unsure of how to proceed smaller. I checked the index of the Enco cat. and didn't find anything.</font>

John Olson
07-27-2001, 03:52 AM
go down to the local welding supply and ask them for a nozzel file holder for cleaning torch nozzels. they come in differant sizes so bring along your bit. they work just as good as a wire drill chuck, but only cost a coupla bucks.

Drillbilly
07-29-2001, 04:28 PM
Drilling small holes can be tricky. I ran into this situation once. I had to drill #80
air holes and didn't have a pin chuck. So I
cut off a chunk of 1/8 stock. And put it in
a drill chuck in a mill. Make sure the ends are faced off. And put the drill in the vice.
Then indicate to true center. I drilled the
1/8 pin by spinning in the chuck and the drill staying stationary. this is a very delicate operation. So very light presser on
the down feed. After yo drill about a 1/4 deep. Take the pin out. And superglue the
shank of the drill in the hole you just drilled. Now you have a #80 drill with a 1/8
shank.

Thrud
08-18-2001, 02:14 AM
I use an Eclipse #160 Pin Chuck (comes with the #161,162,163 collets). It will hold anything from 0.000 - 0.098" or 0mm - 2.5mm. The pin chuck has a 1/4" shank and can withstand 20,000 RPM from my Foredom Flexshaft. There are cheap ones on the market but I found that the collets are superior on the Eclipse. That is important if accuracy is you goal. One cheap one had over 0.040" runnout. I use HSS drills as well as carbide - no problems

Dave Burnett
08-19-2001, 07:32 PM
I have for many years and a lot of small holes later used a Jacobs #0, 0 to.156 or a Albrecht 30JO 0 to .125 chucks with a 1/0 center drill. Use the center drill to make a small dimple in the part, put on a drop of Tap Magic and start drilling very carefully. Peck the drill and clear the chips and you should have no problems. Good Luck, Dave Burnett