PDA

View Full Version : wood planer cutter head

chip's
11-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Does anyone know of a place to get plans for cutter heads or gibs for planers? I have an old belsaw that has the gib screws in the top and when you tighten the screws the knives raise also! It is a pain to change the knives because of this. I would like to make gibs with front screws or change the whole cutter head. I would be grateful for any help, thanks.

[This message has been edited by chip's (edited 11-29-2005).]

freddycougar
11-30-2005, 12:37 AM
i cant help u there ,but i want to make a molder need ideas, or a plan.....
freddy

chip's
11-30-2005, 12:42 AM
There is a set of plans in a popular mech. magazine for a planer that I think you could make into a moulder.

freddycougar
11-30-2005, 01:18 AM
chips ,,very interested..what was the date of the puplication...or how can i get this information?
thanks
freddy

wierdscience
11-30-2005, 09:12 PM
I have the same planner with the same problem.Converting it to another typw would be difficult since the jib slots are actually dovetailed.

I have come up with a solution though.What I do is polish up the slots and jibs so the're slick.Set the knives in loose and jack them up to gage hieght.Snug the jibs to 3/4 tight,grab up a couple pine blocks maybe 1x2" and use them along with a hammer like a punch to tap the knives down on the jacking screws,when the're tapped down tighten them the rest of the way.Hope this helps.

Luke55
11-30-2005, 10:36 PM
There's a planer plan in PM Shop notes 1949.
reprint available at Lee Valey

chip's
11-30-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks Weird. I do the same thing but it still sure takes a long time to change knives. I can change out my jointer knives in about 15 minutes. I guess I'm just spoiled with the ease of doing that. I am going to be running some molding with this planer too and the thought of changing the knives between sessions 5 or 6 times doesn't excite me much. If I was able to run all the different types of molding at once it wouldn't be quite as bad. I will try polishing things up to see if the speed for changing out increases. Thanks again.

chip's
11-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Freddy, as for the planer plans I saw they were in a 1970 issue of PM. If you want to know which one I can check. I know I have only part of the issue, which is why I never messed with it. If I find which issue it is, maybe we could get a copy somewhere. I would like to see the whole article

[This message has been edited by chip's (edited 11-30-2005).]

freddycougar
12-01-2005, 01:06 AM
thanks guys.. it might be my next machining project, after
i FINISH... the bandmill!!!!!
thanks
freddy