PDA

View Full Version : OT - ? 4 British members

joahmon
11-30-2005, 10:09 AM
While watching a movie in which the word "sir" was used many times, a question came to mind.
Here in the US we use the word "sir" to politely address a man whose name we do not know.
Since the British use the word "sir" as an honorific, what how do you politely address a stranger?

thistle
11-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Oi you! ger orf moi land.

Timleech
11-30-2005, 12:58 PM
'sir' (or'madam').

Generally when you want their money http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Tim

Norman Atkinson
11-30-2005, 02:05 PM
It is a convention to use Dear Sir or Madam in correspondence when we don't know the person to whom (not who) we address. Note the Royal Wee. Sorry- we.
Again, if we are really standing as formally as we dare, one( note the third person singular) says Sir or madam.
One can terminate with:-
I have the honour to be
Sir
Your Obedient Servant

This is especially useful when you both know that you really mean- Hey, you, Sunshine or you bag of ****e.

Sir, is again used to denote rank. the commonest- and they usually are- knights- who have probably been Siring- or baronets which are little barons are all addressed as Sir-who the f*** are you. Dames are not the organisers of brothels- sorry- usually the orgaisers of brothels and places of ill repute but respected members of the opposite sex who have gained honour in the field- of the arts, politics or the like. Do you like politics- like?

Kings- when we get any- will be addressed not as " Hey, you, Big Ears" but "Sire" and from all reports, Elizabeth Alexandra Mary's laddo has done a bit- I mean- a bit of that.

I trust that this has proved to open up some of most interesting bits in polite English protocol.
Clearly, one- note the order- has to proceed with the utmost caution in HM Forces. One uses the word "Sir" to anyone with a Royal Warrant down or up to the rank of Warrant Officer- and with assorted scrambled egg on his hat. Here recognition becomes difficult with sexual freedom when one can wear a crown not on the head but on the shoulder and rings- not on fingers or on lower parts of the anatomy but on one's sleeves. One has thin rings, middle size rings and broad rings and they should be switched off in aircraft, places of entertainment and worship- but worn in warships.
No doubt that you will be getting the feeling for all of this and whilst it is frowned upon by the Vatican is readily accepted by the Church of England.You know the thing- another fellow feeling?

I now rest my case.

Norman

Norman Atkinson
11-30-2005, 02:10 PM
It is a convention to use Dear Sir or Madam in correspondence when we don't know the person to whom (not who) we address. Note the Royal Wee. Sorry- we.
Again, if we are really standing as formally as we dare, one( note the third person singular) says Sir or madam.
One can terminate with:-
I have the honour to be
Sir
Your Obedient Servant

This is especially useful when you both know that you really mean- Hey, you, Sunshine or you bag of ****e.

Sir, is again used to denote rank. the commonest- and they usually are- knights- who have probably been Siring- or baronets which are little barons are all addressed as Sir-who the f*** are you. Dames are not the organisers of brothels- sorry- usually the organisers of brothels and places of ill repute but respected members of the opposite sex who have gained honour in the field- of the arts, politics or the like. Do you like politics- like?

Kings- when we get any- will be addressed not as " Hey, you, Big Ears" but "Sire" and from all reports, Elizabeth Alexandra Mary's laddo has done a bit- I mean- a bit of that.

I trust that this has proved to open up some of most interesting bits in polite English protocol.
Clearly, one- note the order- has to proceed with the utmost caution in HM Forces. One uses the word "Sir" to anyone with a Royal Warrant down or up to the rank of Warrant Officer- and with assorted scrambled egg on his hat. Here recognition becomes difficult with sexual freedom when one can wear a crown not on the head but on the shoulder and rings- not on fingers or on lower parts of the anatomy but on one's sleeves. One has thin rings, middle size rings and broad rings and they should be switched off in aircraft, places of entertainment and worship- but worn in warships.
No doubt that you will be getting the feeling for all of this and whilst it is frowned upon by the Vatican is readily accepted by the Church of England.You know the thing- another fellow feeling?

I now rest my case.

Norman

malbenbut
11-30-2005, 02:59 PM
It was hard trying to understand N.A the first time. It was doubly hard the second, does anyone apart from me not understand what he says or is it just my lack of intellect

[This message has been edited by malbenbut (edited 11-30-2005).]

Norman Atkinson
11-30-2005, 03:15 PM
M!
I think tht you will appreciate that the correct explanation written in the cold light of day would probably be just as incomprehensible to someone who has separated by a common language.

I was poking- there used to be a law against it- fun- and there is not a lot about- English- now there's a joke- language.

Over to you,kind sir, over.

NA

Alistair Hosie
11-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Ah the evils of strong drink.OOOOOOOPs sorry Norm http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifAlistair

Norman Atkinson
11-30-2005, 03:21 PM
And a Happy St Andrews Night to you- and all me wavers of that great Saltire.

Hic! Hic!

And Alistair

I meant it.
Now for a rousing " Ball of Kirriemuir"

Norm

[This message has been edited by NORMAN ATKINSON (edited 11-30-2005).]

John Stevenson
11-30-2005, 06:52 PM
The term Sir in the UK is a generic form of respect.
It applies to people you wish to address politely, as in "Excuse me Sir"

When applied to a honorific it's usually prefixed before that persons name as in "Sir John"

Unless you are aquainted with the honorific then it's hard to know they are titled so the generic Sir will surfice.

Sr John, [ Earl of Sudspumpwater ]

John Stevenson
11-30-2005, 06:54 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malbenbut:
It was hard trying to understand N.A the first time. It was doubly hard the second, does anyone apart from me not understand what he says

</font>

No I think it's an excess of bromide in the tea or having to wwear short trousers into his 30's.

Sir John.

aboard_epsilon
11-30-2005, 07:07 PM
It was hard trying to understand N.A the first time. It was doubly hard the second, does anyone apart from me not understand what he says

Anyone used to doing cryptic crosswords would have no bother understanding him....... Me.........I dont do crosswords.
All the bbest.mark

chief
11-30-2005, 07:30 PM
In the service we of ocurse had to address officers as sir or by their rank but the convention wisdom was that if you addressed an offcier as sir, you were implying that he didn't know who is real father was.

bobbybeef
11-30-2005, 11:52 PM
If it speaks to you say Sir as you salute.
If it doesnt speak but moves salute it.
If it doesnt move pick it up and take it away.
If it is too heavy to pick up, then paint it white.
These are a soldiers rules.Especially for recruit.
bobby.
PS Of course if you are trying to sell a chap a ten year old car then you always call him Sir. B.

Norman Atkinson
12-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Sir John,
Re this bromide thing!

" malbenbut" is an anagram of a 'a numb belt' Just exercising me little brain!

Yes, Mark, after 55 years, they are almost admitting the funny things that we did.

Matron calling- back to the coffee.
Tastes funny?

Norm

[This message has been edited by NORMAN ATKINSON (edited 11-30-2005).]

joahmon
12-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Sheesh, sorry I asked http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

malbenbut
12-01-2005, 07:03 AM
I have never been on bromide though my wife says I should have been. In the past I have ingested things that have killed millions of brain cells. I did not have lead soldiers with a head left on,usually bitten off after seeing "King Kong" at the local flea pit. I used to carry lead air gun pellet in my mouth as many of my friends did, as a result I am on nodding terms with Al Zimer and Sen Decay. I to have tried a bit of brain exercise with an anagram on Normans name but all I could come up with was "ANSTINKAN MORON" I am sure someone will come with one more apt on his and my names

[This message has been edited by malbenbut (edited 12-01-2005).]

malbenbut
12-01-2005, 07:12 AM
i cANT REMeMBER rITIIn ThAT

Norman Atkinson
12-01-2005, 08:46 AM
I like the Moron bit which is better than Namron Nostnikta- the Russian about clown!
As age has inevitably taken its toll, I shall have to find something more in keeping with an age of incontinence pads and zimmer frames.
In the twilight of our lives, don't you think that as cottars, borders and villeins, we could ask his Tony-ness to give our Shire- Reeve of Nottinghanshire, some tangible memento of his contribution to Anglo- American relationships?

I await your deliberations with fervent anticipation.

Wor Norm.

malbenbut
12-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Does Sir John know Robin Hood and Friar Tuck
I was told Friar Tuck was a dirty Devil to find his real name you have to transpose the
first letter of each of his names but for politness the historians changed his name to the one we all know now. I dont believe they were machine tool dealers because MTDs robbed from anybody and kept it for themselves
PS incontinence pads are great for mopping up spilt oil etc