PDA

View Full Version : Pyrometer

jfsmith
11-12-2002, 07:53 PM
I am looking a panel meter type pyrometer, it need to go to 2200 or 2400 degrees F. I need everything from the probe to the meter. I don't want to spend a bunch on this.
The over all plan is for a small heat treat oven, but it doesn't have to be precise just within a few degrees.
I do have a nice digital thermometer that I use in my three ovens now. But I am making this for my brother.

Many thanks,

Jerry

Rotate
11-12-2002, 10:50 PM
Check out the OMEGA website.

www.omega.com (http://www.omega.com)

They sell hermcouples, sealed probes, and the meters.

BTW, at that temperature you won't be able to measure "just within few degrees.". Count on no more than +/- 5% of the reading for accuracy.

Albert

jfsmith
11-12-2002, 11:03 PM
I was never sure of the accuracy at those temperatures. In the past, I used the color of the steel as the indicator, but that was in my forge.
I already have a high end Omega meter, but the HH308 seems to be in the ball park of what I am looking for.
You may want to look at this one that I found at a pottery place:

http://pottery-books.com/cgi-local/axner/loadpage.cgi?user_id=31298088&file=equipment/pyrometers.html

Jerry

docsteve66
11-13-2002, 12:07 PM
Jerry, Omega usedto make a catalog that listed the thermocuple wires. The output of a thermocouple is sufficnet to drive a good meter. You have a good calabrating device. Stick your thermocouple wires along side your calibrated instrument, and get a few reference points and make a chart (easier than making a meter face) for him. Omga has all the theory you need in the catalog.

alsinaj
11-13-2002, 12:29 PM
Jameco (www.jameco.com) sells two digital voltmeters that will read a K-type thermocouple (included) up to 1200 degrees celsius with 1 degree resolution. Prices are $79.95 (item 155475) and $89.95 (item 155491). JCA

docsteve66
11-13-2002, 07:00 PM
A thermocouple may RESOLVE to one degree but still be accurate to much less. One degree is one tenth of one percent at 1000 degrees. There may be thermocouples that are accurate to 1%- I'd expect at least a few percent error.

But I am nitpicking cause the needs stated don't require that tolerance, I think. But many a man has paidfor resolution thinking he was getting accuracy. Like a six rule with the end cut off.
Steve

Peter S
11-13-2002, 07:09 PM
I heard that some trucks have a dash mounted gauge which reads exhaust gas temperature? Probably not high enough for you? I don't know.

jfsmith
11-14-2002, 11:13 PM
I have looked at several commercial use and potters use. I am going with a low priced Omega. The people in the pottery trade think too much of their panel meters and thermocouple, the prices are way too high for me.