PDA

View Full Version : Leather grinder wheel ?

lugnut
12-02-2005, 04:50 PM
This morning I went to a Yard Sale that had advertised a lot of tools. At the sale I picked up a couple of “C” clamps and a couple of “Brand name” needle nosed pliers, and a electric motor that I needed. The motor came with a pair belt driven grinder pedestals. One has a wire brush wheel and a fiber brush of some sort. The other has a 6” emery wheel and a wheel that appears to be leather, 6” in diameter, ½“thick, with a ½” arbor hole. The Leather wheel had a few nicks on the edges so chucked it up in my lathe using a ½” bolt, couple of washers and nut, thinking I could dress up the edges and smooth it out. Well, guess again! That sucker took the edge off of the HSS tool bit I was using so fast, rounded it over after only moving maybe a 1/8” of the way across, and polished it slick and shinny. I couldn’t believe how fast if took down the cutter bit. I had to give up on dressing it up and making a square face on it. I’m not sure what it’s good for other than putting a fine, smooth finish on the end of cutter bits. Any thoughts of what it might be and it’s use?
Mel

BillH
12-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Polishing metal?

DancingBear
12-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Probably a 'power strop' for final sharpening of knives, wood chisels, etc.

Rockler sells them (not a plug, no relation).

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10090

lugnut
12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys, I think the "power strop" is the answer. Any ideas how I can get it flat across the surface again? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Your Old Dog
12-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Lugnut it may not need to be flat across. They are very forgiving and a real nice addition to a grinder especially if you sharpen knives and WOOD CHISELS! I strope my hand chisels with Green Chrome polish on a leather pad for a razor finish right now! It's a good score!

Evan
12-02-2005, 06:05 PM
When I grind up HSS bits for my lathe I give them a quick polish on the buffer. I hold the cutting edge away from the direction of rotation. After that I retouch the very cutting edge top with a few swipes of a diamond hone. It makes for a nicer finish on the turned material.

lugnut
12-02-2005, 07:28 PM
I’m sure it will be something I will use. What really surprised me was how fast and how much material it removed from the HSS tool bit in such a short time. I don’t think that a Aluminum oxide wheel could remove material that fast! I just got in from the shop and let me assure you that it will polish metal just fine! Again, thanks for your help.
Mel

[This message has been edited by lugnut (edited 12-02-2005).]

gunsmith
12-02-2005, 07:35 PM
If your trying to true up the wheel you can use a hack saw blade teeth against the work surface. This will give the wheel flat face and a surface that will hold either grinding or polishing compound. This also works to clean the wheel if you should want to change from one compound to another. Leave the blade in the hack saw frame for a better grip although you can use it by hand if your are comfortable that way.

J. Randall
12-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Mel, the hacksaw blade will work, or chuck your bolt arbor in a handheld drill and run it against a belt sander. James

lugnut
12-03-2005, 01:42 PM
James, thanks, the hand held drill and belt sander did the trick!!
Mel

J. Randall
12-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Mel, glad it worked. Sounds like something I might like to rig up to put the final hone on my highspeed cutting tools. James

Your Old Dog
12-04-2005, 09:41 AM
lugnut, I should have mentioned but forgot. Maybe you are unaware but those strope wheels are frequently "charged" with compound by simply holding the stick of compound like green chrome to the wheel for a few seconds. Maybe everyone already knows that in which case gawd I feel like such phool http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 12-04-2005).]