PDA

View Full Version : Knives that holds an end

ndav8r
12-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Machining or sharpening an edge on a knife seems to be a lost art. Any prefences of knives or methods of sharpening?
Hans.

ndav8r
12-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Sorry guys, the topic subject should of read "Knives that holds an EDGE"

Hans

mike.a.henry
12-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Marble.
I have a few I inherited from my dad, for obvious reasons I'll never part with them, but wow, do they hold an edge. I'd sure like to have another couple so I could fairly split them between my kids, but the few times I've run across them at sales they're pretty pricey.

Your Old Dog
12-03-2005, 12:30 AM
For my money just give a nice carbon steel blade that is exquistly executed! I don't mine oiling and careing for them. I enjoy sharpening.

I hate stainless, 6m2, ceramic and all the other exotic steels except maybe a nicely crafted damacas blade. I think too much is made over high tech these days and part of the fun of owning this type of tool is in careing for it. You don't have to do nothing to stainless but it's harder than hell to sharpen at least for me.

Tin Falcon
12-03-2005, 09:16 AM
TITLE: Step-By-Step Knifemaking: You Can Do It!
by David Boye
ISBN: 08785-7181-7
Publisher: Rodale Pr
Publish Date: November, 1977
Binding: Paperback
List Price: USD 16.95
Available for $ 9.50 and up
http://www3.addall.com/New/submitNew.cgi?query=0878571817&type=ISBN&location=10000&state=&dispCurr=USD
Excelent book have had a copy for years

Ross
12-03-2005, 10:16 AM
I make knives as a hobby and for fun. Sharpening a knife is part of the battle but the other part is in the heat treatment of the knife. If it has a lousy heat treatment making it too hard or too soft it makes it harder to keep a good edge on. Plus the hardness or softness can also be a preference of the user and how they like to hone and sharpen adn how often. Also you have to take in to consideration the angle of the knife edge and what the knife will be used for, I have made knives that i can shave hair right off my arm with no problmes but if you use them for chopping on sticks or anything harsh it dulls quicker. But i have sharpend them at a different angle making them great for chopping and more brutal tasks but i cant shave hair off my arm with them. Both are sharp in thier own right but in differnet ways

I am only learning about sharpening but there is a lot too it and a lot of factors go into it. That is wha even with machine tools end mills, planer baldes etc there is lots of research into them about the angles they use the type of steel and how they get sharpening.

Just my 2 cents.

Ross

Ross
12-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Tin: That is a good book i have it also on the shelf.

Here is a book on sharpening i just started reading...not sure how good it is but i am enjoying the read so far.

http://www3.addall.com/New/compare.cgi?dispCurr=USD&id=8190&isbn=1561581259&location=10000&thetime=20051203101209&author=&title=&state=AK

Ross

C - ROSS
12-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Don't mean to steal the thread but now there are two of us.

How confusing.

Ross

SJorgensen
12-04-2005, 01:04 AM
My father is a gourmet cook hobbiest. In Salt Lake City the oldest and most well known sharpener is the Lorenz Knife Shop. My father learned about a knife that all the chef's seem to be going for. He was so impressed with it that he bought one for himself, and his sister and one of his sons (me.) I can't tell you the name because all the labels are written in Japanese. It is an impressive blade. It cuts like a saphire blade. It will be a while before I know how well it holds an edge but it is my most special knife.

Spence

Your Old Dog
12-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Spence,

It ain't Ginzu is it?

(just kidding of course)

I started buying my wife the Henkles Tree Brand made in Solengen Germany. Very stylish and supposedly a first rate piece of cutlery but I'll be damned if I can sharpen them. I've gone back to carbon. We wipe off any rust before using them !!

Rustybolt
12-04-2005, 11:15 AM
I can sharpen a carbon steel blade so you can shave with it. I can't put an edge on stainless steel to save my life.

Your Old Dog
12-04-2005, 11:23 AM
I feel better now! You know how misery loves company http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

mattc
12-04-2005, 11:36 AM
I find if I have a little patiance I can put a sharp edge on most knives with one of these
http://www.lansky.com/products/systems/standard.html
how well it will hold the edge depends on the quality of knife