PDA

View Full Version : Engraving?

paulgrandy
12-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Anybody into engraving? I'm thinking about doing some engraving on soft metal, alum, copper, etc. I'm a pretty good artist so I figure I could get one of those electric etching tools, predraw something with a pencil, and then just copy with the etcher. But I figure it would look better if I got one of those engraving tools that have a little table and the arm to just copy something. That way the depth of the etch would be consistent. I've seen some that are pretty cheap on eBay. Any input would be helpful. I'm not looking to go into business so I don't want to sink a lot of $$$ into this project.

IOWOLF
12-01-2005, 07:11 AM
I think you are looking for a Pantograph,what are the size ranges?

------------------
The tame Wolf !

paulgrandy
12-01-2005, 07:25 AM
OK, I looked around the web at pantograph machines. But the cheapest I found was around $1K that would do what I wanted. I'm thinking that by now someone would have invented one that you could attach those cheap engraving pens to. Sort of like those stands that you bolt an angle grinder to and turn it into a chop saw. I'd be engraving on metal blocks about 1"X 2"X 3".

Ross
12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
I am not an engraver but i do frequent a knife forum that has some engravers on it here is a link to that: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46

If you search the forum i know there has been threads on what to buy for startup and how to get started.

Here is another link i just found didnt read through it but seemed like a lot of info: http://engravingarts.com/infopage.html

Hope it helps I have seen a lot of beautifull engraving on knives and it amazes me what can be done since i am not too artistic.

Ross

mjydrafter
12-01-2005, 09:29 AM
There are plans available for sale on E-bay for a Pantograph that you can build. That uses a Dremel tool as the engraver. I believe that it used drafting stencils as the lettering guide, pretty cool. but the book is like $40. It has a picture of the pantograph so you can see what they are talking about.

IOWOLF
12-01-2005, 10:33 AM
In the late 80's or early 90's HSM or PIM had a article on building one for a dremel tool.Someone may have a copy they can xerox for you, but it was small I think.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

mjydrafter
12-01-2005, 11:27 AM
The one that IOWOLF is talking about is the one in the book on e-bay. The listing said that it was a book collection of magazine articles. Is that legal? Here's the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKE-A-PANTOGRAPH-LABEL-MAKER_W0QQitemZ7567481013 QQcategoryZ25281QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKE-A-PANTOGRAPH-LABEL-MAKER_W0QQitemZ7567481013QQcategoryZ25281QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

It looks like you could probably make it from the listing pictures...
[This message has been edited by mjydrafter (edited 12-01-2005).]

paulgrandy
12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the info. My old HS Shop Teacher is into that custom knife building.
I hadn't looked at his site in years. He's looking old. He got me into taxidermy back then. I kind of gave that up when the Game Warden came into the shop and confiscated a Red Tailed Hawk I was stuffing up. Good thing he didn't look up in the rafters at all the other birds I put up there after I finished them. Never did figure out who ratted me off, but as I told him, "I just found it lying dead in the middle of the road with a bullet hole in it".

http://www.sparksknives.com/sparksKnives.html

Alistair Hosie
12-01-2005, 02:55 PM
I just bought a dedicated Alexander deep throat engraver with a chest of brass templates /letters.my college has just cleared out a load of stuff.It's a real lil beauty.I am figuring it out as we speak/write.I will post more when I get more information regards Alistair

Jim Caudill
12-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Interesting topic / timing. I just bought a couple of the pantograph type engraving machine at an auction. I bought a New Hermes ITF-K and a Green Engraver model 106. I bought the New Hermes with a friend in mind that wanted one (he has yet to firmly commit to buying it though), and the Green just sort of came along for the ride. I don't really know their value, but both appear to be in good condition. I asked for input on their value at the PM website and may list them for sale over there. Any ideas on their worth from you folks?

Frank Ford
12-01-2005, 03:18 PM
If you are an artist, and have the hand skills already, why not get into hand engraving? You can do just about anything with a GraverMate - it's like a little impact hammer that holds engraving tools, so you have good control, and can almost engrave as though you were sketching:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRS-GraverMate-IMPACT-ENGRAVING-Warranty_W0QQitemZ5057383019QQcategoryZ34083QQssPa geNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lbender
12-01-2005, 03:35 PM
paulgrandy,

There is an article by Rudy Kouhoupt in the Nov-Dec 1990 issue of Home Shop Machinist on building a pantograph. His looks much nicer than the one on E-bay

Good luck on your engraving.

Your Old Dog
12-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I am (was) an engraver. Why not sharpen a small chisel out of tool steel and beat on it with a little hammer (chasing hammer) like craftsman have done for centurys?

If your intent is to engrave it takes next to no equipment but plenty of time and a bit of skill. At one time I had a Greivermaster but sold it in favor of working more traditional with hammer and chisels. A good place to start would be to pick up a copy of James Meeks "Art of Engraving" It goes into way more detail than necessary but if you don't live near anyone who can show you it's better than trying to go it on your own.

Some of my past projects can be found here:

http://www.raysstuff.com/Completed%20Projects.htm

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 12-01-2005).]

paulgrandy
12-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Your Old Dog...That's some good looking work. But it looks like a lot of time was spent doing it.

I can find plenty of letter and number punches, but nothing of a decorative nature. I'm thinking of a small Eagle. So since I'm just going to to some quickie stamping of soft copper I'll get a small Eagle pin with a concave shape that has some detail and stick it in a round steel tube at the bottom, and fill the tube up with epoxy. Then just press the design into the copper. I'm thinking the epoxy once hardened won't give and the flat on the arbor head will keep it from popping out and it will have a round band around it. I got plenty of scrap to play with.

This whole project is kind of a one shot project so I don't really want to get too far into it costwise or timewise. I see plenty of custom die makers on the web, but nowhere can I find a site that sells generic type stamps.

[This message has been edited by paulgrandy (edited 12-05-2005).]

mjydrafter
12-05-2005, 12:40 PM
I think Brownells will make you a custom stamp, with your design.

Ross
12-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Paul,

NIce looking knives on that site you posted from your old teacher.

Ross