PDA

View Full Version : OT pic of truck towed by RV..in park

jamscal
12-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this picture. Hard to believe.

http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=13384

wierdscience
12-03-2005, 10:44 PM
At what point did he say"awh s---!" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

That's about like one my buddy saw.He was driving truck out west one night.He saw another truck dragging sparks along side one of the fuel tanks.He pulls along side and the guy is dragging the station pump down the road by the nozzle still stuck in the filler cap http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

coles-webb
12-03-2005, 10:55 PM
People like that should not be allowed to reproduce!!!

C - ROSS
12-04-2005, 12:10 AM
I hate to let the cat out of the bag but they have already started to multiply.

While in texas last winter saw another motor home dum-dum do the same thing. He had stoped at a rest stop and decided to run the engine of his tow car, then forgot to put the tranny back in neutral. He left 600 yards of rubber on the road and then ran out of power, couldn't make it up the hill. No rear tires, no wheels.

I also drive one of those things and tow a car behind. Hope that the dumbs never hit me that hard. If it ever happens I will quit driving the thing and sell it.

Ross

Pat Miles
12-04-2005, 12:56 AM
When you are towing you take a lot for granted, especially when the towed vehicle is a newer model. Wonder what the gentleman was thinkig when passing cars honked and waved frantically.
Tell you a story I witnessed. Camping with the ex in our trailer. Rained all night. The next morning a fellow who was camped a couple hundred yards away was trying to get out. He was just spinning his tires in the mud. He spun the tires so long that one of them blew out. Quite a comedy watching him change that tire in the mud. Spare was up under the truck.

Ed Miles
12-04-2005, 06:25 AM
All events are not the result of stupidity, some are just down right bad luck, but funnier than hell. Caming out of a camp ground in southern Florida one time, the early morning dump station line up was longer than I felt like sitting around for and waiting so off we go up the Inter State. Now my trailer is an older design with relatively low ground clearance common to the mid & late 70's construction. Booting down the road I tucked in behind a rig and let him break the wind for me, which was considered a gas consumption reduction practice.

Well, as luck would have it, there was a huge chunk of Firestone road kill ahead. My truck is a 4 door crew cab dually and the outside tire on the drivers side went over the tread carcass and rolled it up before it went under the trailer. When I looked in the rear view mirror you can imagine my horror, all you could see from the back left side of the trailer where the grey water and the black water valves are located was one big spray. This was the accumulation of 9 days in the park being spread down the highway.

Fortunately it was 7 am and no one behind me that we could see so down went the pedal and off the Inter State at the next exit to find a camp ground to hide in and make repairs (4 days) to reconstruct the tanks and plumbing.
The funniest part was what went through my mind at the instant the spray started. Don't let there be a State Trooper or a pack of the Hell's Angels be back there. To this day I have not left a camp ground without cleaning the tanks out first, no matter if it takes till noon to get it done.
Ed

dicks42000
12-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Yes, they breed....
Monday morning rush hour traffic heading in to Vancouver. Ahead of me was a huge, old, rusty LTD, trailing sparks...Several drivers around it were honking & trying to get the guy to pull over. The cars propane tank was dragging on the road, hanging by one bracket...
I noticed the noise when he pulled on to the bridge, followed him for almost 3/4 of a mile & couldn't get him to get off the road even when I spoke to him at a light.
Stupidity plus....

Leigh
12-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Stupidity is its own reward

------------------
Leigh

Old Time
12-06-2005, 12:27 AM
I have a question, how can they tow a vehicle with an automatic transmission without pulling the drive line? I've been told not to tow a new(post 1960) automatic at all.

GregC
12-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Why are 76 year old retirees allowed to drive 25000lb motor homes towing 5000lb SUV's with no Commercial Driver's License?

Just think, that's the jamoke barreling 70mph down the freeway while your wife and 6 month old daughter is coming the other way.....

C - ROSS
12-06-2005, 08:43 AM
You just pushed my button.

I have been campaning for years. Everyone that drives one of those things should be required to have a CDL. Even the one that I drive, empty weight is well above the minimum requirements for a CDL, and is equiped with air brakes. Why are RV's, Firemen, and farmers exempt from the law???

Ross

snowman
12-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Ross,

Are firemen seriously not required to get a CDL?

I knew farmers weren't, but in all honesty, that one really doesn't bother me. My friends started driving the truck back and forth to the elevator at age 14. I do have to say, most of those guys at age 14 have spent more time driving than your average 21 year old.

I lived in a pretty big farming community, and the only farm related accident I EVER remember happened to my best friend's family farm. A guy was doing about 90 on a back road, the farmer was pulling out of a field with a hay wagon and the guy ran into the rear tire of the wagon on his road bike.

I dont think you can blame that on the farmer.

As to firetrucks and RV's...Yes, they need to have a CDL. Firetruck drivers should also be required to get the extra certification for tanker trucks. I dont remember what that's called.

-Jacob

C - ROSS
12-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Jacob

Yes at least here in Nebraska. It scares me to see one of those things, lights flashing and all, going through congested streets.

Now don't get me wrong!!!
I have known a lot of firemen and they are great people, with a job that I wouldn't want (except for the time off). The training that they go through is designed to create a huge ego. They think that there isn't anything they can't do. Now that's the guy that I want coming into a burning building to rescue me, but not the person I want to meet driving a truck down the street. Think about it.

As for farm related accidents. God loves farmers and ranchers, they spend more time talking to him than most people. Although during critical times of the year there is a lot of temporary help used. If you have ever watched your new hired man (city kid) take your 18' rake through the new 12' gate you would understand my concern

Ross

snowman
12-06-2005, 10:15 AM
quote:
"If you have ever watched your new hired man (city kid) take your 18' rake through the new 12' gate you would understand my concern"

Ouch.

I guess I'm used to farms where the people working it have either been working for the farmer for many many years, or are family. If they hire "city kids", it's to stack bails.

-Jacob

Evan
12-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Which of course explains why you see so many stacks of hay bales falling over and propped up by 2 x 4s...