PDA

View Full Version : Mentor for a project?

Pat Miles
12-08-2005, 08:23 AM
I am wanting to build a 5C collet closer for my lathe as shown in the article by Norman Telleson in the May/June and July/August 2001 issues of HSM. While I understand a good portion of the article I am having trouble with other portions.Would there be anybody out there who would be willing to mentor a relative newbie with this project. It will require some emails back and forth and maybe a few phone calls.I am not planning on starting until January, 2006. Any takers?
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Pat Miles (edited 12-08-2005).]

LES A W HARRIS
12-08-2005, 08:55 AM
Pat, I am just down the road, (Las Cruces). Les H.

andy_b
12-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Pat,

if you do this project, why don't you take planty of photos and document what you do for the entire process. not to re-write the article, but to show how a newbie goes through the process and any pitfalls or mistakes you make.

personally i would find this to be VERY interesting as i am a newbie myself and seeing exactly how another inexperienced person went through things would be helpful.

andy b.

Doozer
12-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Make one to use ER type collets. Less stick-out, more grip range. --Doozer

jkilroy
12-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Doozers idea to make an ER closer is a good one. Also, you have available to you on this site a tremendous collection of highly capable individuals that can help you with whatever might come up. Just don't be afraid to ask questions you might think are stupid.

I openly classify myself as a help-e rather than a help-er. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif