PDA

View Full Version : OT/National Finals Rodeo accident

torker
12-10-2005, 12:35 AM
I don't know if any of you here are rodeo fans but it made me sick to see Jake Barnes get his thumb cut off the other night.
He was a real threat to win the World Championship in the teamroping and now his career could be over.
I went to one of his Pro teamroping schools years ago when I first started roping. The guy was amazing.
I still can't believe he did this....but it proves that no matter how good you are...you can still screw up.
He got his thumb caught in the dally (where the rope is wrapped around the saddle horn to hold the steer) and when the rope tightened it popped his thumb off.
Russ

mochinist
12-10-2005, 12:42 AM
I seen it happen to one of my Dads friends at the local roping arena when I was about 9 or 10, we all went out and looked for the finger but never did find it.

Evan
12-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Rodeo, especially bull riding, sorta reminds me of base jumping without a parachute. Will you get hurt?

torker
12-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Geez...this reminds me of another one.
An old couple we know own a small ranch. The old girl went out to split kindling one day.
She caught the tail of the handle in her open jacket and the hatchet swung over and cut off her little finger.
She ran into the house where they wrapped her hand up and where going to run her into the hospital.
Her daughter remembered they better retrieve her finger.
She ran into the woodshed just in time to see a big rooster pick up the finger and try to gulp it down.
They ended up chasing the damn chicken all over the yard but he eventually escaped under a feed shed.....with the finger!
The old girl was pretty shocky but when she heard about the chicken making off with her finger she started laughing so hard that she forgot about her plight for awhile and was okay for the trip to town.
Russ

IOWOLF
12-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Ya pays your money, you takes your chances.

Another dumb "sport". IMHO

------------------
The tame Wolf !

jr45acp
12-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Agrees with Evan, sooner or later it happens. Rode bulls for years without incident, then one night it was Bull 10, Bull Rider 0. Got 12 busted ribs, one collar bone, dislocated shoulder, and a broken neck. Never rode again.

John B

mattc
12-10-2005, 08:01 AM
about a year ago my neighbors wife called me and asked of I could come quick her husband had just run his hand through the table saw, so I went and hauled him to the hospital,
he ended up loosing all 4 fingers at the knuckles and his thumb at the first joint on his right hand (he was right handed) needless to say his wife wont let him use the table saw any more,
all this after falling off his second story deck and breaking his neck about 2 years before
just remember your day could always be worse

torker
12-10-2005, 08:38 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:

Another dumb "sport". IMHO

</font>
I sure can't agree with that. Teamroping is one rodeo event that is a very useful tool on a ranch. Up here we have vast areas of open range where the cattle roam the mountains and valleys.
If one needs to be doctored this is the easiest way to do it.
Problem is... the average "hayseed" can't rope for ****. The guys who practice in the arena can catch the animal with little fuss and don't get the cattle all stressed out.
But the Bull Riding....I got ironed out a few times myself and thought I better quit while the quitten was good.
But nothing can compare to the stupidity of sitting at a table in the middle of the arena and waiting for a bull to run over you. That is the absolute form of Darwinism!
Russ

C - ROSS
12-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Most folks in this area are dally ropers(girls & boys). A large percentage of them are missing one or more digits, goes with the territory. Used to be a hard and fast calf roper. Tried a dally once, decided no more. As for bull riding, decided that I would rather stand in front of a RR train, same results less work.

Ross

gkman11
12-10-2005, 09:41 AM
If he can't abuse bovines any more maybe he can set fire to kittens to entertain the crowd.

bob308
12-10-2005, 10:20 AM
it is very common for the ropper to lose a thumb.

irnsrgn
12-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I rode bulls when I was younger, then a spinner that layed down on a friend of mine and he was in a coma the rest of his life, made me quit. I took up clowning then, I think the clowning was the more dangerous of the two, but I saved a lot of fellas from serious injury.

mochinist
12-10-2005, 10:45 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gkman11:
If he can't abuse bovines any more maybe he can set fire to kittens to entertain the crowd.</font>

LMAO

Dawai
12-10-2005, 10:58 AM
The psychatrist calls it type (T) personality on 20/20. Thrillseeker. Seems some children have it from one year old on.

If you run into burning buildings for a thrill they call you a fireman and a hero.

If you ride fast motorcycles or play with large dumb bulls you are just a nut to society.
That is from a outside perspective thou, not from the thrillseeker himself.

What's the old saying? If you play with the bull, expect the horn?

The chicken and the finger, ha.. I feel like chicken tonight, chicken tonight..

Fasttrack
12-10-2005, 11:00 AM
abusing bovines? gimme a break...

Fasttrack
12-10-2005, 11:04 AM
if you call that abusing bovines then call football assault and battery http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

WLW-19958
12-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi There,

I'm not a fan of rodeo but I feel for the poor fella. I lost a thumb when I was 28 years old. Luckly for me, the doctors were able to re-attach it and my thumb works pretty well (about 85%). I hope they can help him too.

-Blue Chips-
Webb

jkilroy
12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Roping is one thing, an actual useful skill, but Bull riding? Its not like people saddle break bulls and actually ride them, totally stupid. How about we "kick it up a notch" and have Kodiak Bear Riding?

moldmonkey
12-10-2005, 12:56 PM
The idea with dally roping is that you can let go quickly when something starts to go wrong. As in pasture roping when the horse acts up, the cinch loosened up after a long day,the heeler misses and the steer starts to run behind you, etc. Hard & fast guys carry a knife but I can't imagine being able to cut the rope near fast enough in those situation.

AZSORT
12-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Torker - you remind me of the day I was splitting kindling and tripped the axehandle, deflecting it into my index finger. Split it back to front between the knuckles. Doctor delayed sewing it up for over an hour 'cause he had to show me off to all his buddies. Except for a lot of blood, didn't hit a thing. Regained total function with impressive front and back scars. Most memmorable Thanksgiving ever - and I still am. God showed me my fallibility and His mercy that time.

Greg C.

snowman
12-11-2005, 02:41 AM
"he ended up loosing all 4 fingers at the knuckles and his thumb at the first joint on his right hand (he was right handed) needless to say his wife wont let him use the table saw any more,
all this after falling off his second story deck and breaking his neck about 2 years before
just remember your day could always be worse"

So what you are saying is that you bought a tablesaw cheap?

My grandpa gave my dad his when he cut his thumb off on it a few years ago. We bought him a power miter saw as most of his work was just chopping a piece of wood in two anyway.

-Jacob

wierdscience
12-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Bull riding-

It's near the top on my list of things I never do http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
#12 jump into woodchipper
#13 vote democrat
#14 ride bull
#15 stick hand in blender
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

snowman
12-11-2005, 09:59 PM
"#15 stick hand in blender"

What's wrong with that?

Yah, it's gonna hurt....but you can take it.

-Jacob