X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • project280
    • Jul 2005

maximat v10-p lube

What is the correct amount of oil to put in the quick change gearbox on a Maximat V10-P?
  • WJHartson
    • Oct 2002

There should be a sight glass on the headstock of the lathe located behind the chuck. This sight glass can get dirty and it really doesn't look like your standard sight glass. Fill the headstock with oil so that the sight glass is just over half way.

Joe

Comment

• Too_Many_Tools

Curious...what do people use for lube in the Emco gearhead lathes? Emco mills?

TMT

Comment

• project280
        • Jul 2005

Thanks for your reply, but I wasn't clear in my first post, I meant the power feed quick change gearbox, not the headstock. The only manual that I have says to "fill with the appropriate amount of oil", but it doesn't tell me what the appropriate amount is.
        As far as what to use, the best answer I came up with, after searching quite a bit, was an ISO 68. I am using Mobil DTE 26 Hydraulic Oil Heavy Medium. I bought a gallon of it at my local Grainger.

Comment

• WJHartson
          • Oct 2002

The mill uses grease but Emco doesn't specify what type to use. I have used an automotive EP grease in mine.

Project280, The lathe I have is a V10 so I don't have the power cross feed. My guess would be to fill the power feed box about 1/4 to 1/3 full if there isn't a sight glass on the gearbox. The lower gearing will carry the oil to the other gears.

Joe

Comment

• project280
            • Jul 2005

That's kinda what I thought but I was going to see if anyone had a manual that told the level. Sorry, it's the OCD coming through.

Comment

• project280
              • Jul 2005

Sorry, I forgot to say in my last post, I am using Mobil Mobilith AW2 Industrial Grease in my four speed milling head.

Comment

• enray53
                • Dec 2003

Emco state 250ml of SAE 140 gear oil for the norton feed box.
                200ml SAE 10 for the headstock gearbox
                both to be replaced every 100 hours of use
                Ray

Comment

When you do put some oil in the quickchange gear box, have a towel ready to catch all the oil as it is thrown out of the slot where the gear lever comes out of the quickchange box. I just put some light weight oil in there and then turned it on, boy oh boy, what a mess.
                  I had to devise a hanging wall, fitted to the top of the quickchange box, to stop the oil from being thrown out, the oil now hits this bit of plastic that I have fitted to it and then falls down to the bottom of the quickchange box for recycling.
                  NO more mess, just a quite gearbox now.

Forgot about the quantity of oil, just fill it until the oil starts to touch the largest gear,maybe a tad more, when everything is spinning in there, the oil gets chucked around like crazy. It's a real good splash feed when everything is rotating.

[This message has been edited by radish1us (edited 12-12-2005).]

Comment

• project280
                    • Jul 2005

Thanks radish1us, I measured it out and put it in this morning. I think the gear oil works better in there, as opposed to the hydraulic oil. I was having trouble with the thin hydraulic oil migrating to the area where the drive gears for the leadscrew are located. I don't think the gear oil is going to do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X