PDA

View Full Version : New toys, need info

Kansas_Farmer
12-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I guys..

I just picked up a Starrett set of 0 to 3" No. 436 mics in a wood case with 1" and 2" standards. Nice set, almost brand new near as I can tell. Along with that came a "Interapid 312B-2 Dial indicator. This indicator is used, and measures in .0005" per 'tick". I'm not sure what I'd use this thing for, but I got it. Ebay purchase, $225 for the works.

Anyway, the question I have is do you ever use any kind of lube at all on the mic treads?

Thanks~

Brendon

banjoallen
12-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Yes,use oil on the thread's.Starret make an oil for this. Allen

SGW
12-10-2005, 06:45 PM
A good quality instrument oil. As banjoallen says, Starrett sells appropriate oil, probably slightly overpriced but since a can will last you "forever," it's not a big deal. You can get it from a place like MSC www.mscdirect.com (http://www.mscdirect.com) .

Leigh
12-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Use sewing machine oil. Best oil you can find for precision instruments, and it's cheap. Any company will make oil for machinists without regard for its quality, but no company would risk the wrath of half the women in America http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
Leigh W3NLB

Mcgyver
12-10-2005, 09:58 PM
have you a lathe or mill? if so, hang on to that indicator, it is a fundemental to working with both machines! For example setting work up in 4 jaw or faceplate, on mill for tramming the head sq to the table or aligning the fixed jaw of the vice to the table's travel, etc, etc, etc. keep the oil out of the indicator, and unless you are doing a huge amount of micing, oiling them is an infrequent event - probably more danger in dinging a thread or dirt getting in than there is benefit in oiling them constantly, imo

banjoallen
12-11-2005, 10:52 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Leigh:
Use sewing machine oil. Best oil you can find for precision instruments, and it's cheap. Any company will make oil for machinists without regard for its quality, but no company would risk the wrath of half the women in America http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

</font>

good point!

pgmrdan
12-11-2005, 02:08 PM
I caught all kinds of hell for saying it here a while back but there was no way I was going to buy Starret oil when I can buy Singer sewing machine oil for about 1/3 rd the cost and I'm sure it's at least as good as Starret's. I get it in the sewing department of Wal Mart.

Some people here tried to attribute all kinds of unfounded mystical qualities to Starret oil and called me a cheapskate because I wouldn't pay 3 times as much as an equivalent product costs.

Singer sewing machine oil has been working just fine for me.

I second Leigh's suggestion.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 12-11-2005).]

sauer38h
12-11-2005, 05:43 PM
I've never oiled a micrometer. I wait for them to talk to me and tell me they need it, and that hasn't happened yet.

I've seen a lanolin-based lubricant which was supposedly meant for micrometers. Lanolin is the oily stuff which gives sheep's wool its useful properties when wet. It's commonly used in hand creams and Cosmoline. In the good ol' days, sewing machine oil was sperm whale oil, which wouldn't gum up with age. But sperm whale oil is rare nowadays. I don't know what Singer is currently putting in those little bottles.

pgmrdan
12-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Singer probably puts in their little bottles the same stuff Starret puts in theirs.

Kansas_Farmer
12-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys.

I'll keep the indicator so when I do get my lathe I'll have it.

Singer sewing machine oil it is. Since these are new to me, I'll take em apart, put a little oil on the threads, calibrate them and then leave em alone. I did mess around with them a bit last night. I used the standards and that little wrench to set the 0, then mic'd some Ball M2 mil-spec ammo. Darn stuff is 0.3074" to 0.3077" It's supposed to be 0.3080!! (Yea, I was bored and wanted to play with my new toys).

Anyway, thanks again!

Leigh
12-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi Farmer,

Your 7.62 is nowhere near accurate enough to use as a standard for checking a micrometer. You need gage blocks (jo blocks) or a length standard designed for the purpose.

To lube the mic, just unscrew the thimble all the way. It will pull straight out after the threads disengage. Apply a drop of oil to the female threads, then screw the thimble back in. It's usually not needed, but it doesn't hurt.

------------------
Leigh W3NLB

Kansas_Farmer
12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
"Your 7.62 is nowhere near accurate enough to use as a standard for checking a micrometer. You need gage blocks (jo blocks) or a length standard designed for the purpose."

Yea, I know, that's why before I did anything else I used the 'standard bars' that are in the kit to set the 0's. AFTER I did that I messed around measuring the bullets. I don't have 'gauge blocks' only the little bars that Starret put in the kit that are 1" and 2" respectivly.

flatlander
12-12-2005, 11:52 PM
If your mic & the Interapid dial test indicator are in good shape, I'd say you got a buy - Interapid is one of the better Swiss-made brands, and the 312b-2 indicator, when on sale at Enco, is priced at $157. I bought a 312b-3 from them last year when I began tooling up, and feel it's a fine indicator for the chambering of match grade barrels I've been doing on the lathe.

Kansas_Farmer
12-13-2005, 07:17 AM
The mic's are basically new. I can't find any wear on the carbide tips of any of them. All of them have a mirror finish. I don't have any better way or the know of any better way to check a mic for wear other than just looking at it and seeing if it'll still read correctly. The dial indicator is used, but doesn't show any visable reason why it wouldn't work right. I don't have any method or ability to test it for accuracy that I am aware of at this time. My only wish for this indicator would be for it to have a magnetic base.

I am not at all unhappy with this purchase. I'm happy even if the indicator is junk based on the mic's alone. I looked that set up at various vendors, it seems to run for $350-$450.

Thanks!