View Full Version : o/t arrow air

motorworks
12-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Link:
http://www.cbc.ca/nl/story/nf_arrow_air_20051212.html

Note how the NL reporter covered this.

Evan
12-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Hmm. Broken Arrow is the code for loss of an atomic weapon.

Norman Atkinson
12-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Sadly, I have "been there". I was deeply involved with a military aircraft crash and understand just how those involved felt and feel. Amongst our cards today, came one from Doris whose brother died on the 21st April 1949. The date is correct and it was exactly 50 years to the day that I took her to see where her only brother died.- and to see a plaque finally unveiled in honour of him and his two pilots. That was the 21st April 1999. Finally, the Royal Air Force Museum has let slip part of the story but only in the past few days. My Christmas card has yet to go- do I tell her just what we were actually involved in?

There are times when I am really serious- and this is one of them. Well, good folks?

Norman

[This message has been edited by NORMAN ATKINSON (edited 12-12-2005).]

Your Old Dog
12-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Evan, you sure about that? I thought it stood for a military type with any kind of serious firepower who became unstable (read nuts).

Evan
12-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Yep, I'm sure.

From the FAA:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
12-4-2. NUCLEAR WEAPON ACCIDENTS ("BROKEN ARROW")

a. The affected military installation (usually the Base Command Post) shall notify the ARTCC/CERAP of the following in the event of a "Broken Arrow":

</font>

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/MIL/Ch12/mil1204.html

John Garner
12-12-2005, 08:12 PM
In nuclear-weapon-system-speak, Broken Arrow is the term used to identify the most significant type of weapon system accident. Any physical loss of a nuclear weapon would be a Broken Arrow, as would any type of event that resulted in a nuclear weapon being engulfed in flame or the release of nuclear material.

The next-lower category of incident is Bent Spear, with the least-significant category being identified as Dull Sword.

A Dull Sword is a plebian event affecting a nuclear-weapon-capable system. A flat tire on a bomb cart could be reported as a Dull Sword if the cart is rated to carry a nuke.

John Stevenson
12-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Makes broken taps and blunt drills seem insignificant doesn't it.

Sir John.

JIMofalltrades031
12-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Norman, yes. I think you should tell her if it would make her feel better about what happened.

andy_b
12-13-2005, 07:54 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
Hmm. Broken Arrow is the code for loss of an atomic weapon.</font>

didn't any of you see the movie? it was okay, but nothing spectacular.

http://www.all-reviews.com/videos-2/broken-arrow.htm

andy b.

spope14
12-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Isn't this s atory about a civilian airlines called arrow air?

Evan
12-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Yes it is. However, the plane in question was carrying military and the headline is "Broken Arrow..." I would guess the significance of the term wasn't appreciated by the person writing the headline, especially since the troops were on peacekeeping duty. It's rather inappropriate.

Weston Bye
12-14-2005, 10:54 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
Yes it is. However, the plane in question was carrying military and the headline is "Broken Arrow..." I would guess the significance of the term wasn't appreciated by the person writing the headline, especially since the troops were on peacekeeping duty. It's rather inappropriate.</font>

Yep. And these "educated" media types are the ones who keep us informed.

Wes