PDA

View Full Version : Wilton3230K Bandsaw Opinions

Pat Miles
12-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Down at the local tool emporium this afternoon. Being in the market for a horizontal/vertical bandsaw I noticed the Wilton model(5 x 8,coolant,hydraulic feed system, etc.). I know that this saw is offered by various other manufacturers differing only in cosmetics. Who among this learned crowd has a Wilton and what are your opinions?
Thanks

Fasttrack
12-12-2005, 09:55 PM
This probably won't be of much help but here it goes:
I worked with a wilton horizontal bandsaw over the summer (at least i'm 88% sure its a wilton http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif ) anyway it is owned by my brother-in-law who is a row crop farmer. Its a 230 volt unit and they have had it for years. Infact i think it is over thirty years old with some super hard use...its almost impossible to kill. I dont know what their quality is like now, but based on that one, i'd say it was a damn good saw.

JCHannum
12-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I am not sure of the model number, but the last shop I ran had a Wilton horizontal bandsaw and it was a pretty sorry piece of junk. It was new, and it was a small maintenance shop with only two mechanics, so it was not used heavily or abused.

The sorriest part was the vise, it had a quick operating screw, and would not clamp anything tightly without popping open.

All the usual cheap Asian problems, stripped bolts, broken castings, poor plastic parts. It is a shame to destroy the Wilton name, but I would not buy one for my own use. They sell at a premium over the rest of the imports due to the name.

jlh28
12-14-2005, 01:14 PM
From having just used a newer version of a Wilton drill press, I would have to agree with JC on this one. Quality is nowhere near worth the premium paid over other asian machines. In fact I would never buy a new Wilton product based on my experiences.

[This message has been edited by jlh28 (edited 12-14-2005).]

SGW
12-14-2005, 01:22 PM
I have an idea Wilton ain't what it used to be. They are now part of the same company that owns Jet.

Fasttrack
12-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Thats a shame, seems like wilton used to be a good manufacturer. I've got a cheap cut off saw from HF with one of those damn quick positioning deals...what a dumb idea for a vise!!