PDA

View Full Version : Drill Chuck replacement

Kansas_Farmer
12-16-2005, 10:45 AM
I have an old 90's version Porter Cable 12v cordless 3/8's drill. The keyless chuck won't hold a drill bit anymore, and I'm tired of tearing up my expensive bits every time the bit locks up and slips.

Request info on where to secure and how to replace said with a real chuck.

Thanks~

Joel
12-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Decent chucks are available from all of the usual suppliers. I would look at Enco first since they usually seem to have good prices and plenty of sales, but MSC, J&L, or your local hardware store will have what you need. Pull your old one to see what thread size you have, but I would think that it is 3/8”-24 tpi.

Here is a link to a chuck:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=891-2926

Here is an old thread with directions on how to remove the chuck:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum3/HTML/001446.html

Edit: Enco link didn't work.

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 12-16-2005).]

Kansas_Farmer
12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Cool, thank you sir!

"all the usual suppliers" Being new to the machinists world, what are these.

I've gathered that enco is one, and possibly McMaster Carr, what are others?

I'll do some searching here also, if there's been a thread on this in the past. No sense in asking the same questions a million times over.

Joel
12-16-2005, 03:39 PM
I have had decent luck with all of the following: Enco, MSC, J&L, McMaster Carr, Grizzly, KBC, Travers, Grainger, and a few others that aren’t coming to mind right now.
Like I said though, if you factor in shipping, you will probably come out ahead by just going to the local hardware store for something as common as a small keyless chuck.

Call up MSC at 1-800-645-7270 and request a copy of their catalog, it is giant and makes a handy reference.

Kansas_Farmer
12-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks man!

Going to the 'local hardware store' out here is not as easy as it may sound. The local place that says hardware store over the door would really more resemble a General Store of the old days. They don't have drill chucks, nor can they order them. It's 15 miles to something that might be called a hardware store, and they don't have chucks either. A real hardware store is 50 miles away, and someplace like Lowes or Home Depot is 250 miles down the road. There are few instances where my fuel and wear/tear on my vehicles would be cheaper than most companies shipping expenses.

gkman11
12-16-2005, 05:59 PM
On the "how to replace" this usually works on reversable drills.

With a straight slot screwdriver hammer driver remove the screw in the bottom of the chuck. Then chuck the short leg of a big allen wrench in the chuck and give it a good rap with a hammer to loosen the LEFT HAND thread and screw the chuck off.

IOWOLF
12-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Whoa, the screw is left handed.

The chuck is right hand ,at least ALL I have ever done was

------------------
The tame Wolf !

IOWOLF
12-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Hummmmmmmm, no comments huh?

------------------
The tame Wolf !

gkman11
12-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Wolf,
You're proberly right. Been a while.

IOWOLF
12-18-2005, 07:51 AM
I guess My point is there is alot of people on this board who don't have a clue on some things, and on other things they are experts.No one knows it all,thats why they are here,or at least one reason.

So when we give advise, we should give Good advise,not "IIRC" or "I think it was this way". This time the guy could have ruined a cheap 3/8s drill,next time someone could put the wrong oil in a Bridgport head.

Sorry If I have offended anyone.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

Alistair Hosie
12-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Theres nothing offensive about correcting well meant advise your just trying to help.Alistair