View Full Version : Collet "System"..What is it??

12-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey guys...what the heck is this for?
What do the collet "sizes" stand for?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/4quick-change-collet-system-with-3-COLLETS-AMAZING_W0QQitemZ7569852378QQcategoryZ41947QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

12-14-2005, 02:16 PM
The main body has a slip ring on the OD, the collets will quickly slip in or out (with the ring held up,let ring drop down to hold ) The sizes given are the different size Morse tapers. Used on drill presses, for rapid tool changes.


12-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Good question...

Some guesses:

the #4 means Morse 4 taper shank.

The collets are 4x2, 4x3, 4x4. So they fit the #4 head, but sizes?

With the tanged shank we know it's not for milling. For a drilling machine or tapper?

This listing in itself would be enough to make me not buy anything from the seller. Apparently he doesn't know enough about his product line to accurately describe it to potential buyers.

12-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Doug and DR...I was sort of thinking they where adapters for MT's but the 4X4 one threw me. A #4 MT to a #4 MT ...unlikely...but I don't know.
It is a kind of slick looking rig though.
I have actually bought stuff from them but I don't think they are real knowledgable.

12-14-2005, 05:30 PM
It is a Collis QC system. The master holder is probably MT#4 with a quick change holder loke vmil described, the inserts are MT #2,3 & 4. There are two photos, one of the holder, one of the holders, so size is misleading.

They are primarily for drilling, and can be changed on the fly if you are so minded.

12-14-2005, 05:51 PM
It's a quick change chuck for a drill press.I have and use one for several production jobs.To use one you leave the spindle run ,and just lift up on the outer ring and tool(drill,reamer,tap.ect.) drops out.Then it's just a matter of slipping the next tool in.It doesn't do real well to try to use it like a drill chuck.It's used more in conjunction with fixture plates with drill bushing in it.
I hope this makes sense I've been at work sense 5 AM running and debugging some new programs(probably be at it for the next couple of days) for the boring mill at work.

12-14-2005, 08:30 PM

what you describe is EXACTLY how i have seen these collets used. man is it sweet. without turning anything off or risking damage to your fingers, you just pop the holding ring up, pop out the holder (with the drill in it), and pop in the next holder. for a production job with drilling jigs it looked like a fast way to do things.

andy b.

12-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks guys...now it makes sense. I thought perhaps you changed the drill bits them selves. Never thought of having the bits seated in the holders and the holders being released. I'm assuming if you had to drill a bunch of holes with drills of the same MT that you'd have to buy more adapter sleeves.

12-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Okay, now I see what it is.

Leave the spindle running, huh? I can see that for dropping the previous drill out. But, putting a new drill into a rotating spindle? Just don't be holding the new drill tightly when the chuck grabs hold.

12-15-2005, 03:57 AM
You really don't hold the drill you hold the collet.It protrudes out of the holder enough to switch tools safely.the way they accomplish changing the tool while the spindle is running is that there is a ball that protudes on the inside.This is what drives and holds the collet.Then you lift the ring the ball falls away so the collet can be removed or inserted.

12-15-2005, 08:38 AM

Yeah, I understand that, it's the idea of holding any object (sometimes heavy) tightly enough to insert it up into a socket and then have it grab up to speed instantly. Potentialy dangerous.

12-15-2005, 09:22 PM

the gent i saw using them had a good film of oil on them, and as Burnlast stated, you aren't holding the bit, but the collet. first, they aren't turning at 2000 RPM, second, with all the oil it just starts spinning in your fingers and you let go. by the time the holder starts to grab the collet, it is already held secure enough that you can just let go of everything and nothing will fall out. it looks dangerous, but in use it is no worse than a tapping head.

andy b.

12-15-2005, 09:52 PM
I can guarantee this system is not going to get the blessings of OSHA. Unless the tool change is done with the spindle turned off.

12-17-2005, 11:29 PM
The Collis "Magic Chuck" Quick Change System has been in service for a long time. It is still in current manufacture, which would indicate that OSHA does not have a problem with it. A similar system made by McCrusker requires you to stop the spindle to change the tools, as it function like a Universal Quick Switch holder. I have both systems and each has its place in a production shop environment. If you are properly trained, the only time you touch the mounted cutting tools, is during the tool set-up. Once the system is running, you only grip the holder. I have never seen anyone , nor heard of anyone who was injured properly using this tool holding system.

12-18-2005, 01:17 PM
"The Collis "Magic Chuck" Quick Change System has been in service for a long time. It is still in current manufacture, which would indicate that OSHA does not have a problem with it."

No, that doesn't indicate anything.

Let's see here....

To release the previous tool you grab the rotating knurled ring (presumably the ring spins freely after you grab it) and push it upwards. With the other hand you try to grab the still rotating tool which has fallen out of the holder (hoping you catch the collet portion of the assembly in your hand rather than the tool itself).

To insert a new tool, at the least, you have to insert it up into a rotating socket with a bit of force where it's going to be brought up to spindle rpm instantly. Maybe you have to lock it with the knurled ring, but hopefully the ring self locks with the upward force of the tool insertion.

Anybody who thinks that'll fly with OSHA is dreaming.

I bet they recommend changing tools with the spindle stopped.

BTW, I don't see the Collis Magic Chuck on their website.