PDA

View Full Version : Looking for NewCordless Drill

halac
12-11-2005, 03:03 PM
I've had a Black & Decker 3/8", 14.4 drill / driver for about 12 years now. It been a real champ, but after replacing three batteries, two chargers, and the outside case, I've decided the chuck, which doen't grip like it used to, isn't worth the cost.

What I'd like to get is something that is similar, but with either NiMh or Li-ion batteries. I would also like the batteries to be able to recharge in an hour or less. Another requirement is that the chuck is able to grip down to a #60 or smaller drill bit.

My wife is letting me choose my own Christmas present. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I welcome any experiences or comments you wish to share.

Tin Falcon
12-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Halac:
I personaly Like the deWalt DW980k-2 it has a 1/2inch chuck and uses 12v batteries. It recharches in less than an hour. I have had mine since Sept 10 2001. It has provided geat service. I do not think it will do the # 60 without an adapter chuck. I shopped around in the spring for a drill/driver for my 16 year old son. He has been helping me with shop projects since he was about three and have been buying him real tools for christmas since he was five. After comparing everything that was available at sears lowes and Home Depot we ended up buying a second one like I have. Seems to be the best buy in the long run.
Good luck in your search
Tin.

ZMAN
12-11-2005, 04:21 PM
The new favorite cordless in construction is the De Walt units! The Makita used to be number one! But the thermal cut off would kick in way to often! Go the De Walt way!

IOWOLF
12-11-2005, 04:41 PM
18volt Dewalt drill driver. Go with the 3 speed,the 2 speed isnt as good,I have 2 of each

------------------
The tame Wolf !

halac
12-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Do the DeWalts have a NiMh or Lipoly batteries? I haven't been able to find out on their website. I'd like to be able to get away from NiCads due to their charging memory problems.

------------------
No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C. , www.teampyramid.com (http://www.teampyramid.com)

[This message has been edited by halac (edited 12-11-2005).]

IOWOLF
12-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Nicad.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

ZMAN
12-11-2005, 06:38 PM
They do not seem to suffer any memory issues! we recharge constantly without completely running them down! Scott

ZMAN
12-11-2005, 06:39 PM
http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/article_cordless.asp?Site=cordless&ID=702

wmgeorge
12-11-2005, 07:29 PM
I have a Makita, but my son has a Bosch and I can't believe the power differance and ease of use over mine! I also have an Hitachi down at the lake cabin and I love it. Was a big fan of Makita... things have changed. B.G.

Rich
12-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Check out the Panasonic 15.6 V.I've had Porter Cable and Dewalt in the past and the Panasonic is by far the best I've used.It has gotten good reviews in Tools of the Trade and Fine Homebuilding---outperforming some of the 18V drills.The battery is Ni-MH rated at 3.5 amp hours.All the other manufacturers offer batteries in the 2-2.6AH range.The panasonic is smaller and lighter than the 18v,19.6v models I have used.Balance and ergonomics are good although the battery is a bit sticky to remove at times--a spritz of silicone cures this.Mine will be 3 yrs old in April and I'm still using the original batteries.I am just now noticing diminished performance and will just get a new drill soon.No sense in getting replacement batteries @ $75 ea when a whole new kit is $199.

J Tiers
12-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Wife gave me a DeWalt 996 (K) 14.4V setup back in the early 90's. Just finally had batteries give up this year.

Bought a newer setup, as cheap as just the batteries.

Not sure I like the new setup, has carbide tip chuck jaws, and I figure they will be good for about 2 hours until they chip into oblivion. So I'm still using the old drill with the new batteries.

I too-often ran the batteries too low trying to get one more hole before climbing down for another pack.... probably killed them early by reverse-charging. Even so, they lasted what has to be around 12+ years.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 12-11-2005).]

BillH
12-11-2005, 11:04 PM
We have a panasonic drill, the one complaint I have of it is the screwy keyless chuck that is on it. I would guess Panasonic has since fixed that though.

J Tiers
12-11-2005, 11:15 PM
deleted stupid duplicate.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 12-11-2005).]

darryl
12-12-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm waiting for the compact model with one of those RC electric BLDC motors in it. You know, the ones that go 60,000 rpm before being geared down, and draw 600, 900, 1200, 2200 etc, watts. I figure that would be a drill that Tim Taylor could be proud of.

Seriously, a very small electronic motor, like those RC ones, would be very efficient at all operating speeds in a cordless drill. Because they are so torquey, you might not need a gearbox, except for the initial reduction from 60,000 to about 3000 rpm or so. Even the 600 watt motor would be able to twist your arm if it didn't have torque limiting circuitry bult in. Another benefit would be faster braking.

Something like this might be better off with a different type of control, probably a trigger controlled torque output instead of speed. It would probably have a separate maximum speed dial, but the trigger would also vary the speed with the first say 20 percent of the trigger travel.

Smaller size, lighter weight, equivalent or better performance- would make me happier.

Bruce Griffing
12-12-2005, 12:57 AM
I have several drills. The 18V DeWalt is great for some things, but too heavy for most work. I find I use my 12V Makita - even though is has less high end capability - for most tasks. It is simply easier to manage when up on a ladder or leaning out a window. If you have another drill available, even corded, I would choose a 12V model.

BWS
12-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Construction job:Guy gets out of van,grabs cordless and then has to find power outlet to plug up recharger........this is one of lifes great mysteries to me?

Exactly how many 2" screws will that model drive?Just kidding,I don't own a cordless.

DeShazer
12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
I have had a keen interest in batteries for a long time. Each of the new type of batteries has its advantages as well as its limitations. I am surprised that Li-ion have made their way to into the portable tool market. I would probably stay away from Li-ion because no matter how well you take care of them, they will need to be replaced after a year or two and they are very expensive. These are the same battery chemistries that you will find in your laptop computer. The NiMh are probably a good choice because they are lighter weight than Nicad and have increased capacity. Nicads still win the war in suffering abuse and longevity. Nicads haven't had memory issues since the seventies.

Alistair Hosie
12-13-2005, 03:06 PM
If I were buying a new drill and wanted top of the range I would buy MAKITA opver DEWALT
as I find their stuff much better. I have some DEWALT stuff but mostly Makita.However if buying why not try some of the newer chinese drills I bought an 18.5 v drill with Rohm chuck keyless and 2 baterries and quick charger for 320 Uk all in a nice fitted case, so I am just sorry for all the time I use them I didn't buy 2 as the would have done me a while.I don't care what anyone says the drills batterries go dead just lying even if you don't use the drill etc the baterries die as they lie my 2 cents worth good luck Alistair

matador
12-13-2005, 03:09 PM
I haven't seen any power tools with Li-Poly batteries(yet).In any case,these require very careful charging ,and in model aircraft use many packs have caught fire in mid-air,due to excessive amperage.As such i doubt whether we will see these used in power tools,since they are often abused.Until a better battery is developed(which i'm sure will happen),there's no better than Nimh for the moment.Yet most tools still use Ni-Cad,mainly for cost reasons.

------------------
Hans

sandiapaul
12-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Best drill by FAR than any other I have ever had.

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=564178&id=1

ZMAN
12-13-2005, 03:28 PM
BWS! quote! Construction job:Guy gets out of van,grabs cordless and then has to find power outlet to plug up recharger........this is one of lifes great mysteries to me?end quote!! I have one of those cheap cigarette lighter 70 w inverters so you can charge on the move! works great! Scott

Tin Falcon
12-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Has anyone tryed the DW9116 1hour charger that has the tune up mode. It is supposed to add 20% run time to the batteries? I have been thinking about buying one.

halac
12-13-2005, 06:39 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by matador:
I haven't seen any power tools with Li-Poly batteries(yet).

</font>

I actually meant Li-ion batteries. Milwaukee offers a line of tools which uses this type of battery.

I know of the "characteristics" of Li-Poly batteries. I use them in my combat robots. They are great for their power to weight ratio. Just got to be careful on how you charge/discharge them.

------------------

halac
12-13-2005, 06:45 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeShazer:
Nicads haven't had memory issues since the seventies.</font>

Many friends of mine use Ni-Cads in their combat robots and still have memory problems if they don't practice a good charge/ discharge regime. NiMh batteries don't seem to suffer from this memory problem.

------------------

halac
12-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Went looking at several different brands and models last night. Boy is there a lot of choices out there. I'm going out again soon to see what some other stores have to offer.

I looked at DeWalt, Milwaukee, Kawasaki, Ryobi, Black & Decker, Rigid, and Skil.

Has anyone out there had any recent experience with Skil? At Home Depot they had a package deal that included a drill/driver, reciprocating saw, circular saw, flashlight, two batteries, charger, and some other accessories. Only thing is the price is rather low for what you get and than kind of concerns me. Sometimes the old adage "You get what you pay for." is quite true. Opinions anyone?

------------------

[This message has been edited by halac (edited 12-13-2005).]

timz1999
12-13-2005, 10:00 PM
i bought the Craftsman 19.2 volt i like it. I only have two negative thing about it 1 the keyless chuck is junk can't get it tight and 2 the batteries if you use them they get warm and you can't plug them in into the charger right away (one hour charger) this becomes a problem when you have different tools and try to use the same batteries. I guess i will have to go out and buy more batteries.

Tin Falcon
12-14-2005, 06:59 AM
I have been disapointed with any attrepts at ryobi.

Tin Falcon
12-14-2005, 07:00 AM
I have been disapointed with any attrepts at ryobi.

GregC
12-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Bosch.

Plus, I'm not sure where they're made, but I am pretty sure it is not China - which is where DeWalt is made.

Rustystud
12-14-2005, 08:20 AM
I know I am going to step in a big pile when I say what I am going to say but I am going to say it anyway. I have gone through several cordless drills over the years. There has been some improvement in both quality and battery life. The better drills today seem to be more interested in ruggedness. I use a cordless drill for drilling trees to put in steps for deer hunting. I expected to drop my drill and break it before it actually wore out. Therefore I decided to buy the absolutely cheapest drill and the extended warranty. I headed down to buster knuckles tools and bought one of their 18 vold cordless drills when it was on sale for $39.00. For another $5.00 I got an additional years warranty. Low and behold that drill is now 3 years old. The drill gods have been looking after me or that drill. I have not dropped it nor has it failed me. It does require frequent charging. I can get about about 65-75 3/8 X 3" holes before I have to recharge. I am not sure that this drill would hold up under comercial use. But I could buy 7 of them to one of the name brand cordless drills of the same voltage. You can do the math. But that is my .02 worth. I have both cordless and corded drills in my shop. But the 6 air powered drills I have just about replaced them when I am working.

Rustystud

halac
12-14-2005, 09:19 PM
After much deliberation, ranting, and raving I took the plunge and bought a new drill/driver. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I got the Milwaukee 14.4 volt combo. Comes with two batteries, one hour charger, work light, driver bit, quick release belt clip, and carrying case. Home Depot had it on sale for $169.

I want to thank one and all for the advice and comments posted here on the forum.

------------------

darryl
12-15-2005, 12:34 AM
sandiapaul, that's pretty much the drill I was describing as what I would like. Thanks for the link.

Now I'm gonna step in **** too. I took a chance on a no-name cordless and it turned out to be good. I went back and bought a second one. I have an older bosch cordless and it lives up to the torque rating, but it's gears can't take it. It's been a piss-off ever since it first broke itself, and bosch wouldn't stand behind it. That's a few years ago now, and the drill still works, but the teeth are damaged. These no-name drills have been the workhorses.

I had this same thing several more years ago when I bought another unknown brand. They were 7.2 v drills, and I bought a second one of those also because they worked well.
Based on these experiences, I would have to think long and hard before shelling out a lot of dollars for a 'name brand'.

The milwaukee 'should' be good. It'll be interesting to hear how it stands the test of time.

quasi
12-15-2005, 12:53 PM
buying Miwaukee is never a mistake, if you can afford them. They are not made or priced for the home handyman market, but if you make money with your tools, they are an INVESTMENT.

They are the most reliable, heavy duty line of power tools made, in my expierience.

J Tiers
12-15-2005, 01:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by quasi:
buying Miwaukee is never a mistake, if you can afford them. They are not made or priced for the home handyman market, but if you make money with your tools, they are an INVESTMENT.

They are the most reliable, heavy duty line of power tools made, in my expierience.</font>

I think they are the WORST CRAP......

Spent the money for a corded Milwaukee.... 3/8" drill. Wasn't cheap.

The output shaft sheared off one day while using it. Just twisted off like a chinese drillbit. Wasn't that old, either, and was drilling a hole about 5/16" dia or so, not abusing it.

Soft, weak, crappy steel..... and they didn't stand behind it.

It was gonna cost money to fix it, and at that we'd probably get another "tempered silly putty" output shaft.

It's still around somewhere, if it hasn't gotten thrown in the trash.

Peter S
12-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Lets face it, forums like this don't work well on a subject such as "what is a good cordless drill"! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Most of us justify the choice we have made, don't have much else to compare drills with, don't do similar jobs, have different standards of good and bad, etc etc...what a waste of time!! And then we go out and buy the one thats on special anyway!

That is why I like and support independent outfits like Consumer (in NZ), I am sure you have the same in other countries. Unfortunately, Consumer in NZ only tests home handyman drills, I wouldn't touch them anyway.

Can anyone tell me who does comparative tests on industrial grade power tools? It would be interesting to see the results on cordless drills.

Locksmith
12-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Got to this topic a little late, but here goes...
I am a Locksmith, as you would guess from my name. I have had or used, over the last 20 years, the following drills : Craftsman, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita and Ryobi. Out of those, I always preferred Bosch, which I used to buy rebuilt, and Milwaukee.
However, since I install a lot of door closers, I also tend to have drills hit the floor after a 5 foot drop. Ocaisionally they also get stolen or forgotten.
I've found the 18 volt Ryobi to be the best deal for the money I've ever seen. At 99.00 for a charger, drill, and two batteries, plus the drill has balls and a 1/2 inch chuck, how can you beat it? if it's broken or lost, big deal;It doesn't kill me to get another.
Something else : Ryobi makes a ton of accessories that fit the same battery. That alone makes it worth the money. I've got the sawzall, jigsaw, circular saw. vacuum, flashlight and will be getting the angle drill and probably the hammer drill and an angle grinder if they make one.All the one's I've used so far have performed very well.
I already have corded tools : Milwaukee sawzall and hole shooter, Bosch jig saw, and plunge router, Hilti hammer drill, Craftsman grinder, circular saw, Dremel. The thing is, for me at least, it's so much easier to use cordless, that I rarely use the the corded stuff, except as back ups.

MickeyD
12-19-2005, 12:40 AM
I have both a Makita and a Bosch 18 volt. The Bosch has the hammer feature that often comes in handy, but I really like the way the Makita feels. I was using the Bosch with a 1/2 by 12" drill bit on some landscape timbers and the bit caught, unwound it and then started going the other way before I knew what happened. Amazing how much power these things have.

Timleech
12-19-2005, 02:24 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Locksmith:

I've found the 18 volt Ryobi to be the best deal for the money I've ever seen. At 99.00 for a charger, drill, and two batteries, plus the drill has balls and a 1/2 inch chuck, how can you beat it? </font>

I've had an 18V Ryobi for a few years now, along with Makita and Metabo, plus a 'JCB' branded 24V job.
The Ryobi is one of the nicest to use, it's done some hard work & hasn't let me down.

I've just bought a new Makita 12V set of drill/driver plus impact driver, haven't used it yet. Picked it because I wanted an impact driver & it was the best deal I could find, bearing in mind I already have Makita 12V gear, the other choice was DeWalt but it was a bare machine & I have no deWalt batteries.