PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hunting Bambi With A Civil War Era Cannon!

Tuckerfan
12-12-2005, 08:08 PM
No foolin'! http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When an unsuspecting deer happens to wander in front of your Mountain Howitzer Cannon, PULL THE CORD! Make sure that the deer is within 250 yards range and directly in-line with the howitzer's bore. Also be sure the deer is no closer than 100 yards. A minimum distance of 100 yards is a "must" for reasonable meat recovery. ( less damage ) You don't want to hit the deer with all 148 musket balls. ( your goal is to shoot the deer with your mountain howitzer, not "pulverize" him ) Also, at extended distances, it will be less likely that you will shoot off the horns if the deer is a really nice Buck.</font>

BillH
12-12-2005, 08:40 PM
More fun than my .50 cal black powder. LOL

Forrest Addy
12-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I don't need no steenking caannon. I found running deer into exhaustion to be stimulating exercise besides it improves the flavor of the meat. I try to run them towards the meat packers so I can dispatch the deer on their doorstep but that doesn't always work. Elk are even more fun but you gotta be in pretty good shape for all that uphill mountain running.

Tuckerfan
12-13-2005, 01:43 PM
I've always found that being in a car traveling around 70 MPH is an effective way of bagging a deer. (And you don't have to worry about getting winded.)

Jaymo
12-13-2005, 09:27 PM
I've started putting headlights on all of my bullets. Now the deer jump out in front of them.

Dawai
12-13-2005, 10:14 PM
I still prefer the bazooka method. Less work dragging the corpse out of the woods. Just fish a little stew meat out of the trees..

madman
12-15-2005, 12:36 AM
I prefer a Galil with dual 50 round steel mags duct taped together. In 7.62 caliber with the army surplus russian night vision scope its a surefire game getter. With the modified selecto matic switch and in three shot burst mode its great on small herds of deer that are foolish enough to bed down at night. Usually a bottle of whiskeys required to get that eye in tune aiming fluid we call it. If the herd happens to spook from any sudden noise (like if i drop the empty whiskey bottle) a quick thumb flick into full auto ensures a bit of meat for the family to eat. Contrary to popular belief the drunker i get the better i seem to shoot. Just a bastard loading up 7 to 12 50 round mags for an evening of sportsmanlike huntin activities. I wish we had wild boar runnin around here cause i grew up with pig roast field partys. Take care merry xmas everyone.

Norman Atkinson
12-15-2005, 01:00 AM
I suppose that this is the American way of making Bambi Burgers. Just a thought- Just a thought!

Norm

Dawai
12-16-2005, 08:55 AM
I was going to print out the cannon dimensions.

It had a link to materiels list too..

ANybody save it?

cheechako
12-16-2005, 01:04 PM
WTF, over!

Evan
12-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Slightly off topic, I have a friend who is an ex navy seal. He wears a tee shirt that says "SNIPER
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired."

rockrat
12-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Looks like the page is suddenly gone. I went back to save it off and nothing. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

But... Google kept the text. Might look around there and see if there is someting that you can use.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:3WxI66OPotcJ:www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm+%22When+an+unsuspecting+deer+happens% 22&hl=en

Another link to a different text location.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/discus/messages/542/HowitzerHunt_1_-165233.html

dicks42000
12-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Gone indeed. Looks like it's not politically correct or legal to publish plans on how to build your own cannon, but you can buy a cannon, Parrot rifle or Coehorn mortar from several sites....
Go figure.

Evan
12-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Not just the page is gone but the entire site is too from that hoster. I suspect it generated too much traffic and the price for hosting went up.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-17-2005).]

Dawai
12-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Yep, gone gone..

I have followed links all over the place. I found information but this gentlemans site is indeed gone.

I think I want to build a breech loading 4.5 inch bore canon anyways.. right after I take a shower. (yeah right..)

Alistair Hosie
12-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Why not just nuke the terrified creature and be done with it.?Alistair

crews1
12-17-2005, 09:34 AM
The deer fight back.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051202/ts_usatoday/deerattacksnaturecivilizationlockhorns

Dawai
12-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Alistair:

I had a friend in the 70s. He was young, just out of the special forces Ranger division in the military.

Like Forrest above, He swore he stalked up to deer and cut thier throat with a knife, except he was serious. The day I walked up behind him carrying him a beer and scared him to death I never believed it. He was boastfull, and sure of himself. But exagerated and "was brain washed" to actually believe it himself.

Deer are not Bambi-sweet cartoons, Them hooves after you get kicked once or twice, you take a stick from then on and touch the deer's eye before trying to field dress em (so they don't resist the knife). And them antlers are sharp for a reason. Nothing like being mauled by a "dead" deer far from the transportation vehicle.. Your legs and knees look like you got "cleated" by a member of the "other" team.

It only happened to me "once".

The funniest story? and I don't know if it is true.. a young man tagged the dead buck, laid his rifle across the antlers to have a picture took.. the deer jumped up and ran, carrying off the $600 rifle with it, tag flopping on the antler as it ran off.

I DO KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE, two bikers, hit a deer with thier 70s ford.. Put the dead deer in the trunk. As they were going down the road the deer came to.. was thrashing and trashing the trunk.. One decided he would open the trunk, other would shoot it with a 44 pistol.. Deer jumped over the fender, other shot a hole in the gas tank leaking out all the gas.. I rescued these Eienstiens that night.

Alistair Hosie
12-17-2005, 11:42 AM
I think hunting is fine so long as you eat the meat, and from what I can see you hunters definitely eat all you catch but to kill something for a trophy is very wrong in my book.So I am not against that kind of hunting fox hunting is a no no in my humble opinion for what it's worth.Nice to see you back with us pal Alistair

Dawai
12-17-2005, 12:02 PM
I gave a friend a dove-bag.. He was hunting squirrels.. He had shot a couple. We were walking down the trail, a squirrel "came to" in the bag on the rear, climbed up his back.. He started screaming and running, the squirrel ran up the side of his head, jumped off onto a tree.

He swore later, sitting, crying, bleeding, sobbing.. He thought I was stabbing him with a knife from the rear.. (true) He didn't know me that well. He was tore up.

ANY WILD creature can be really evil. Even a lil cute bunny rabbit has these claws and hook teeth... It's just a tasty supper to you.. but a life and death thing for the bunny.

Evan
12-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Yep, you really gotta watch out for those killer bunnies...

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/bunny.jpg

Tuckerfan
12-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Run away! Run away! Run away!

Dawai
12-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Just ask a "AUSSIE" thier continent was nearly dessimated by lil cute Bunnies.

Gimme a playboy bunny anyday.. whoo hoo..

johnny o
12-17-2005, 01:36 PM
I remember seeing that sight when I was searching cannon info to build a field style gun.The deer picture he posted was a buck he had shot with the howitzer. He fired a bunch of .680 cal. lead balls at the thing and you could see three holes in the torso and three more right up the neck, must've dropped him on the spot.My little gun has only a 1/2" bore x 18" long, dont think I'll be taking down anything too big with it, though.
John

johnny o
12-17-2005, 01:36 PM
I remember seeing that sight when I was searching cannon info to build a field style gun.The deer picture he posted was a buck he had shot with the howitzer. He fired a bunch of .680 cal. lead balls at the thing and you could see three holes in the torso and three more right up the neck, must've dropped him on the spot.My little gun has only a 1/2" bore x 18" long, dont think I'll be taking down anything too big with it, though.
John

thistle
12-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Rabbits,I remember shooting rabbits in Scotland-start out with the air rifle,then move on to the .410, then the 12 bore, the the .22 super sonics, then finish off with a .222 .
lots of dead bunnies and couldnt do any thing with the meat as no one wanted it.
as for deer-deer are just over size rabbits.

Dawai
12-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Jackass rabbits in Colorado, thier ears tops were even with the hood on my 64 El Camino, rabbits are easy to kill, I have caught them in a cardboard box an they died perhaps of heart attack? and them deer out there, they were like goats, not skittish like the ones here.. (south)

david_r
12-17-2005, 10:04 PM
David,
If you go to http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jhtml
you can get the owner's email address.

decoy91288
12-22-2005, 07:31 AM
I thougt I detected some real interest in big guns so here is a site with some general cannon stuff:

http://www.nmpproducts.com/rt07.htm