PDA

View Full Version : Obsolete tooling search...

lklb
12-22-2005, 02:26 AM
I am playing with an old B+S 7 taper M head ,I was suprised to find out that B+S 7 was more substancial than MT2.It came with 4 NEW collets . I would like to use a 2" criterion boring head with this head 7/8 20 to B+S 7.... I tried all the usual suspects....Enco,McMasters,MSC,Shars,J+L,Victor,KB C,etc. Only KBC had a presold link to a B+s 7 shank. Not available.The Victor Machinery guy said that Criterion used to make em'. but now their stupid money...

Does anybody got a link to a source for B+S 7 tooling ?? If no ,how about some advise on how to construct an arbor? No problem turning it, but how about heating /hardening a thing that's maybe 9/16 " on one side and 2" on the other , without the benefit of a proper heat treating oven. Seems to me I could get a 2"X 3' bar of 01 for $60 but, I need halfassed heat-treatment help!! thanx...

JCHannum
12-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Don't worry about heat treating. Go ahead and make a couple of arbors of mild steel, they will hold up fine in home shop use.

If they do eventually wear in ten years or so, make another one.

SGW
12-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Yeah, don't worry about hardening. Use some "good steel" like 1144 Stressproof, which machines well, and you should be fine.

larry_g
12-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Is putting a straight shank on the boring head and holding it in a collet an option?
lg
no neat sig line

[This message has been edited by larry_g (edited 12-22-2005).]

sauer38h
12-22-2005, 12:31 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lklb:
I am playing with an old B+S 7 taper M head ,I was suprised to find out that B+S 7 was more substancial than MT2.It came with 4 NEW collets </font>

In what sense? The two are damn near identical; so close that 7 B&S heads are sometimes sold as 2 M heads - sellers (even dealers) can't tell the difference unless they check closely.

Collets are still available, and not just from Hardinge. The Chinese cheapos (Phase II) I've tried work fine. Shanks are another problem. I just use 1/2" straight shanks on my drill chucks, fly cutters, and boring heads, and hold them with the 1/2" collet.

7 B&S grips like grim death, much tighter than R8.

SGW
12-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Speaking from experience....the straight shank in a collet idea doesn't work very well for a boring head. It's not rigid enough. At least, I didn't find it so.