PDA

View Full Version : OT/ How long?

SHOPA$$
12-21-2005, 08:23 PM
I think the last WWI vet of the "Christmas truce" passed on a little while ago. Heard him on the radio around Nov 11, or maybe as his obit. The other web sites I look at all have this "look at me I spent $$$$$ on myself for Christmas"
I want to ask other combat veterans, "How Long?"
I'm stuckon what to write next, so I will just launch....NOW!

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

jkilroy
12-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Last I heard there were still a few dozen American WWI veterans still kicking around. All of them over 100. The last Canadian WWI vet that saw combat died in November. I think the British list about 9 living WWI vets. Truly these are men that saw the worst of mankind.

jkilroy
12-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Last I heard there were still a few dozen American WWI veterans still kicking around. All of them over 100. The last Canadian WWI vet that saw combat died in November. I think the British list about 9 living WWI vets. Truly these are men that saw the worst of mankind.

SHOPA$$
12-21-2005, 09:24 PM
I think the man I am talking about was a Brit. This isn't to stir up political crap like the .50 BMG thread has. But how long does the young lad behind the rifle who wants to forget become the old man with in the wheelchair and blanket by the fire who wants it to be remembered.

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

SHOPA$$
12-21-2005, 11:05 PM
I have been re-reading the Nov 11 posts. Will not be able to write or read anything more until next year. Will check again then, if it fades and wilts so be it. Until then Merry Christmas, and have a happy New Year.

------------------

Frank Ford
12-22-2005, 02:54 AM
I just like to hope that there will come a time when we can discuss human history without having to mark time by wars. . .

Michael Az
12-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Sad to say Frank, but as long as there is religion, there will be war.
Michael

nheng
12-22-2005, 08:49 AM
As long as there are people, there will be war.

Take away religion and I'm sure that with our infinite creativity, we'll find something else to fight about. Den

debequem
12-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Try to take away religion and there will be war.

This is sort of like the three laws of thermodynamics.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't quit the game.

Forrest Addy
12-22-2005, 09:38 AM
SHOPA$$, I don't wish to to deflect attention away from your sensitive regard for the veterens we all should revere who are aging and fading away but there's a separate issue I'd like to raise.

Is there some way you can adjust your screen name to be more in conformance to a "G" rated message board? SHOPMAN for example? I hate to nit-pick or sound priggish but such things are jarring to new visitors and don't reflect well on the rest of us.

I like coarse or rough language when it seems appropiate. It lends vigor and contrast when appropiately placed but not as personal names. Maybe I am being too priggish. I thought I'd mention it.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 12-22-2005).]

wierdscience
12-22-2005, 07:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Michael Az:
Sad to say Frank, but as long as there is religion, there will be war.
Michael</font>

As long as there are more than two people on this earth there will be war.Jealousy is the root of all strife.