PDA

View Full Version : water quenching-size incease?

Joe S
12-24-2005, 07:47 AM
I am making an expander button for a set of rifle reloading dies. If I water harden the part, how much, if any , will the part increase in size ? I want a finished product of .324".
Thanks for your help! Joe S

rockrat
12-24-2005, 08:08 AM
If you let us know what type of material your working with, we will take a good guess.

I oil quenched some 4140 when making a tool adapter. It was a big chunk. When I finish ground it, I found it to be thick then thin then thick then thin as I checked the diameter along the axis. The id was all over the place by about .001 on the inside diameter.

I should have stuffed it with steel wool or something but it didnt crack and I have been verry happy.

rock-

SGW
12-24-2005, 08:44 AM
If 'twere me, I don't think I'd count on any particular size after hardening. You'll need to lap it anyway, after hardening, to get a smooth enough finish. I'd probably make it 0.324+", just on the strong side of 0.324", harden it, then lap to final size.

CCWKen
12-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Since you're doing a "water quench", I'm assuming that you're using W-1. At .324, I suspect you'll get about .0002 in shrinkage. I don't know what you're tolerance is but I'd get a headache trying to keep that.

Joe S
12-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. I polished the expander to .324, water quenched it , and when I polished it again it might have lost about .0005, but it works just fine so alls well that ends well! Merry Christmas ! Joe S