PDA

View Full Version : 460 ford mods

madman
11-10-2005, 01:31 AM
Any one have any ideas for a torque motor ford big block 460 buildup that is specifically designed with only running propane as a fuel. Im sick of the dual fuel and wish to turn my 1984 460 ford xtracab into a propane only fueled vehicle. Ex any camshaft recomendations perhaps 114 lobe centres whats your opinions . Thanx a lot.

Evan
11-10-2005, 01:41 AM
How cold does it get where you are?

firbikrhd1
11-10-2005, 04:59 AM
In my experience, the best camshaft information comes from cam manufacturers. Most all have good tech support people and the experience of dealing with many situations, one bound to be similar to yours. Most all cams have been run on a dyno at some point with various modifications during developemnt. Unless you know someone with the EXACT same setup as you plan to run and like how their setup runs, manufacturers are the next best resource. Choosing a cam hinges on many variables, compression, RPM of maximum torque expected, width of powerband, head design/porting even things like rod length/ratio.
My 2 cents

[This message has been edited by firbikrhd1 (edited 11-10-2005).]

torker
11-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Did you see this...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-69155-more%20Cam%20Q's%20EFI%20460
May give you some idea.

rsr911
11-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Back in my drag racing days I would just call Lunati and have a custom cam ground. They needed specs like weight, rear end gear, trans type, and as much info on the engine as possible. I was able to supply actual head flow numbers as well, they built me some wicked cams for $10-20 over the price of an of the shelf one. Call Lunati or Comp Cams and ask for tech support, they will be really helpful.

Does the truck have headers? If not for torque you want long tube or tri-Y headers and a true dual exhaust, add a crossover or even better and x-pipe for a strong midrange. Consider port-matching the intake to the heads and the throttle body to the intake.

------------------
-Christian D. Sokolowski

torker
11-10-2005, 07:06 PM
My experience buying camshafts...I eventually found it better to deal with a smaller manufacturer.
Some of the bigger outfits have minimal wage employees answering the phone in the tech department.
They put down your info (as close as they can)and look at a chart and sell you a cam or a custom grind.
A small company often gets you the head honcho on the phone.
I've found several of these guys who used to work in the R+D departments of the larger outfits...they are no dummies.
We built a 366 AMC engine for class rule mud racing a few years ago. The target was 500+hp and a 250hp nitrous hit on top.
We used a recommended cam from one of the bigger companies and it was a huge flop. We where out in left field hp wise.
Calls to the company did little...that was the cam and that was all there was to it.
A local engine builder here gave us the number for Schneider Cams in the US.
We talked to the owner and he spent several hours getting the numbers right for our application. He sent up the cam and we had immediate results.
That little motor just screams now. It'll buzz up to 9000 rpm and takes the 250hp nitrous hit in stride.
The cam did cost a little more but it was worth it.
I think what it boils down to is our application wasn't common and they had little knowledge of the power curve etc. that we required.
The little guy really took the time to factor in every variable.
This makes me think that you may be wise to get ahold of Colt Cams in Vancouver.
He is a regrinder who used to work for Crane if I remeber right.
He's probably had some experience with LPG engines as a lot of tow trucks in Vancouver are running LPG powered Ford 460's.
A buddy of mine actually used to make dual mixer intakes for these big Fords.
Might be worth a call
Colt Cams
Geoff Bardal
Ph. (604) 856-3571
Fax. (604) 856-3572
Russ

madman
11-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Hey Guys thanyou very much. This will be my first truck engine im building. I appreciate all the input.

HTRN
11-11-2005, 07:58 AM
If you're gonna spend some real money and pull the motor, I would STRONGLY suggest you get a stroker crank - the big fords have a relatively short stroke crank and a tall deck height, a cast stroker crank is a nobrainer, and can add 50 cubes easy for less than $800. Also I would suggest partially filling the waterjackets of the block as Fords are notorious for having paperthin cylinder walls, not all the way, mind you, but say to two inchs from the top... This will have an effect of better cooling in the summer and the oil will be in it's proper temp range faster because the coolant won't be trying to cool it off...

HTRN

------------------
This Old Shed (http://thisoldshed.tripod.com)

quasi
11-11-2005, 01:01 PM
If you live in western Canada or Alaska, leave it on dual fuel. Start and stop the engine on gasoline, switch to propane when the engine is close to warmed up, switch back to gasoline before you stop the engine after you get home.

This results in much easier starting in the winter with the Ford 460. My current pickup was dual fuel and then switched to propane only, it is much harder to start with just propane, even when block heater is used.

I have had 4 trucks with 460's all dual fuel or propane only, and one75 gran marquis. Running a synthetic blend or straight synthetic oil also results in much easier starting, especially from -20 on down. At -40, oil presure guage shows normal presure as soon as engine is started, with normal oil, it takes a while to get there.

aametalmaster
12-24-2005, 10:12 AM
You prob will need to run dual propane carbs. The single carb may not flow enough propane. I was going to do the same thing 20+ years ago. We ran all our shop trucks on propane and i set them up. But i was told by the supplier about the dual carbs, so the idea was never tried. I got another job and never played again. But i still have my '71 429 CJ engine...Bob aametalmaster@yahoo.com

Dawai
12-24-2005, 11:03 AM
That 429 is worth a few thousand.

A 460, For your application a RV camshaft is what you want. TOrque from off idle to WOT.

No drag racing rumpi-die rumpdie high power only camshaft will make you happy. It may sound good, but reality is..

COE heads. If you can afford them.

I had a ambulance with COE motor. It sits in a building close by. It sounded like a high compression fuel motor.

Get your wallet ready, to build a ford it costs. You can build four chevy smallblock engines for what it costs to build a Ford.

Lunatti cams rock. Tell them on the phone what you want and they will hook you up. I had this 85 Safari GMC van w/HO 305.. it'd smoke the tires at 40-50.. It had a Lunatti cam. You barely could hear the cam. The cam is the lungs-heart of a engine.

aametalmaster
12-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I have 2 '71 429's one has the COE heads and the other is a plain ThunderJet. They look like night and day looking at the two side by side. Just saw a set of COE heads sell on ebay for 500 bucks a while back. Its gonna run good in my '64 Thunderbolt clone...Bob

------------------
Bob Wright
Salem, Oh Birthplace of The Silver & Deming Drill

Kansas_Farmer
12-24-2005, 11:30 AM
How about a couple 4 bolt 391 Ford's setup to run Natural Fart. They're old irrigation well engines.

Buckshot
12-24-2005, 09:34 PM
.........I offer this only for thought as I don't know if all Ford 385 series engines will benefit. My daughter and I built a 55 Ford pickup and had a 429 donor engine from a '69 LTD. No real engine stuff was in the budget, and the engine was in excellent shape to begin with.

However I just HAD to do something. I'm sure you understand :-)? I talked to a Ford engine guy at a well known local engine builder. After asking me a few questions about what the vehicle would be used for (daily driver for the daughter) he first said, "Hell, the things already 360 hp!" However his suggestion was to pull the heads and bring them in. He said a $150 exhaust port job would net about a 35hp increase. Don't know if you had to be running headers to see that or not, and he didn't ask if we were.

I never did have it done. The stock 429 made that pickup scat, right now.

Rick

J. Randall
12-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Rick, I had a 69 T-Bird with the 429. Thats what it had 360 hp, never did find out how fast it would run. James

aametalmaster
12-24-2005, 11:13 PM
My "good" 429 is from a '71 T Bird. It would run 135 mph anyday, not bad for a 5,000# car. I used to go out on the back roads and do those 1/4 mile long burnouts. I read an article in Super Ford Mag that said when Ford was done with the racing program in '71 all the leftover 429 CJ's went into regular cars coming down the line. They had regular cast iron intakes installed but the good stuff was still there. It gave the numbers to look for and my motor matched. So when i sold the car i kept the motor, put in a junkyard 460....Bob

------------------
Bob Wright
Salem, Oh Birthplace of The Silver & Deming Drill