PDA

View Full Version : Having Fun with Daddy.. Possum on a plate.

Dawai
12-26-2005, 12:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn1272.jpg

My daddy, 84 years old. He lives in the past, the 40's 50's 60's.. He was born in a coal mining town, raised on pinto beans and what he could kill and knock out of trees with rocks.

He has been on a "eating possum" kick on the phone now for a few months. He is the one who came up with the possum recipe.. take a fat possum, tack it to a cedar plank, take a bottle of wine, bake the possum, when done remove it from the oven, throw possum away, eat the plank and drink the wine.

Enjoy life, we live in marvelous times where we don't have to live in a company house, buy our food from the company store, too poor to own a car, too poor to leave.

Carrol, my wife baked the possum, it is a buttercream eggnog cake w/redhots for eyes, toothpicks for whiskers.. Dipped strawberries and bon-bons are DIVINE but almost all gone.

lynnl
12-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Beautiful David! Pass along my compliments to Carol.

A lot of ol' Timers here in the south would get a kick out of that! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif My 8 yr old grandson would too. His life revolves around hunting.

StephenK
12-26-2005, 02:04 PM
David:

I love the cake idea. Going back to the 70's I was a cake baker and had my own business from my home. I've done cakes like a Volkswagon, teddy bears, etc. and oh yes, a reclining nude but never a 'Possum'.

Good to have you back and a Happy New Year.

speedy
12-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Lovely cake Dave. Happy New Year to the family.
In respect of the hard times our forefathers endured I thought you might like our "national anthem" by the great Kiwi John Clarke aka Fred Dagg
--------------------
I was speaking to a mate of mine
just the other day
A guy called Bruce Bayliss actually
who lives up our way
He's been living in Europe
for the year, more or less
I said "How was Europe, Bruce?"
He says "Fred, it's a mess"

We don't know how lucky we are, mate.
We don't know how lucky we are!

I was down the Plough and Chequebook
the night before last
There's a guy down there on the floor
with his brain at half-mast
I said "You're looking really bad mate
your eyes look like strings"
He says "Get me an eight will you please
I can't see a thing"

Me stock agent's got a beach place
where he spends most of his days
His wife bit the dust down there last year
got eaten by a couple of crays
And his two littlest daughters
got killed by a whale
I said "Are you going down there this year mate?"
He says "Fred, right on the nail"

"We don't know how fortunate we are to have that place
We don't know how propitious are the circumstances Frederick"

So if things are looking really bad
you're thinking of givin' it away
Remember New Zealand's a cracker
and I reckon come what may
If things get appallingly bad
and we all get atrociously poor
If we stand in the queue with our hats on
we can borrow a few million more
We don't know how lucky we are, mate
We don't know how lucky we are

Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 12-26-2005).]

madman
12-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Darn that makes me wanna climb a tree and git a rock or two. Too bad them possums dont get out much here in the frozen north. Looks delicious compliments to the chef. Nice Job carol. I still dont know how I screwed up that corn bread recipe. Madman

Dawai
12-26-2005, 04:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn1273.jpg
Dad recieving the cake.. Nobody has cut it yet.. I bet it sits there and gets green with mold.. The old man really enjoyed it anyways.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn1278.jpg
Him in 1941 in Panama
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn1279.jpg
I come from a family of big ole boys. This was when I was kickboxing regular like.

rockrat
12-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Panama?!?!?!? Cool. I bet the feller can tell a story or two.

Not to date myself, but my grandfather lived through the depression. I still remember the stories of diggin' in trash cans and eating lard sandwiches. He grew up in the boys home and was injured there. Despite his injury, he played for the Reds farm team but never never made it to the big league. He did play with Joe Nuxhall who went on to play for the Reds and later call the play-by-play for them on the radio.

I miss the guy. Thats why I enjoy being around dad so much now. He has his own lathe and always shows me what he has been up to.

Enjoy your time with your dad. Looks like his life is interesting. And enjoy that pseudo-possum!

rock-

wierdscience
12-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Funny how it sometimes works,you grow up living with somebody your whole life,but only find out everything about them years later.
Talk to each other often David they are gone before you know it.

BillH
12-26-2005, 09:06 PM
I used to be a member at a live steam club upstate NY.
Theres an older gentleman there who cannot hear too well anymore but he is a treasure trove of information to talk to. Best I can gather is that he used to work in the shops of the New York Central RailRoad.
He told me one time he was riding on the pilot of a NYC Niagra steamer going over 100mph reading the information from a test box. Some one needs to record down the stories he has, he is approaching late 80's.

Dawai
12-26-2005, 09:26 PM
When I was going my rounds. My nose turned different directions several times. In that picture it looks like I can smell my ear. I never got it broken in the Karate School thou. The instructor was excellent at straightening them. Now it takes three directions now. Cracks go over into my eye sockets. Ruptured eyeballs come from such stupid tricks if you continue your actions.

My wife says my nose gives my face character, I think like a ugly English bulldog she just loves me.

ricksplace
12-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Enjoy your time with your Dad, David. I wish mine was still here. My Dad went through the Depression too. His parents (my grandparents) emigrated here from Ukraine, spoke no english, and were farmers. Growing up on a farm, the kids (8 of them) were never hungry. Dad's Mom used to have a big pot of mystery soup on the stove every day after school. For some of the neighbourhood kids, that was the only meal they got that day.

My grandparents on my mother's side emigrated here from Shropshire, England. I guess that makes me Ukelish. or Engkranian.

I yam what I yam... ukukukuk.

Dawai
12-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Rick, the coal mines were a mixing pot too.
I'm a mutt. My brothers got all the good looking genes. I growed up hunting and fetching home game from the woods. Imagine the poor people who could not get food from thier land or know how, or even own a gun.

I was 18, home sleeping outside *I'd been drinking.. I caught a guy stealing my mothers egg layin chickens. He owned a $40k car and a NICE two story house in the neighborhood (70s). He said he had been doing it since he was young. I didn't shoot him but I taught him religion. I owned a old motorcycle and two pairs of jeans but I paid my way. I think the world made quite a few like him. Probably still does.

StephenK
12-27-2005, 06:08 PM
David:

That picture of your Dad brought back memories of Panama. I was stationed there from '53 to '55 with the Medical Corps at Fort Clayton. Hot and dry and Hot and wet. Sure learned alot working as an Army Lab Tech at the Hospital.

Being a cake baker at one time I certainly would appreciate that cake recipe. It sounds scrumptous.

Stephen K.

Dawai
12-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Eggnog Box cake.. Carrol watches them cooking shows till I scream.. But I get the benefits so I can't complain.

1 box yellow cake mix,
1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix
3/4 cups eggnog
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 tspoon nutmeg
Powdered sugar?
Combine first 4 ingredients, mix with mixer
add eggs and nutmeg beat 4 minutes on high
pour into greased bunt pan
bake 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes toothpick test? cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar or drilled with powdered sugar icing.

Looks like eggnog and nutmeg are the different ingredients.

After making some vanilla coffee this morning, I ate the scraps of the cake with my coffee.. Man.. I was in heaven for a bit. I had cooked a Doc's salsa omlette, sausage links. I went into a near coma for a while.

[This message has been edited by David E Cofer (edited 12-27-2005).]