X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim davies
    • Nov 2003

VFD which one, which supplier

I am looking at VFDs on Ebay, and Precision Electric seems to have some good prices. I have a 2HP 3 phase motor for my mill that I would like to run off 220V single phase. They have either Hitachi or AC Tech models under $300 that seem to fill the bill.

Anyone haver one of these, experience with the supplier etc. All input appreciated...

• nheng
    • Jun 2002

I'm not in a position to recommend other brands, having only a single Hitachi L100 series but one thing which it offered, and others perhaps could comment on, was the ability to change the frequency of the VFD "carrier" that feeds your motor.

Without the ability to set this to 15 or 16 kHz, I would have been driven crazy by now listening to a medium to high pitched whistle from the motor. At 16kHz, it's just about inaudible. This will vary by motor construction. Den

Comment

• SGW
      • Apr 2001

You may have already looked here: www.vfds.com and www.dealerselectric.com

Just a couple of other possible suppliers. I bought a Teco VFD for my mill form www.vfds.com and had no trouble. Friends of mine have used dealerselectric and been quite satisfied.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 12-28-2005).]
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• Bruce Griffing
        • Jan 2003

I have a couple of brands in my shop. I like the LG's the best. They are rated for single phase power (not all are - some require a HP derate for single phase). They also are capable of sensorless vector control - a more advanced control algorithm. Here is a good link for the LG units.

http://www.driv eswarehouse.com/index.php?osCsid=0d8ed80fd248240340ae9a3fe0a7a934& manufacturers_id=12&osCsid=0d8ed80fd248240340ae9a3 fe0a7a934&cPath=149&filter=1

[This message has been edited by Bruce Griffing (edited 12-28-2005).]

Comment

• barts
          • Aug 2002

I've been very happy w/ my teco from dealer's electric; works like a charm. Supplies 2 HP 3 phase for my BP mill.

FM100-202-N1 $275.

They're easy to deal with as well.

- Bart
          Bart Smaalders
          http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

• Ryobiguy
            • Sep 2003

I got a deal from ebay on a 2HP Delta VFD.
            Works fine, although the actual unit has older firmware so it doesn't have as many features as the online manual says, and I can't seem to get the RS485 port to talk to my PC (maybe I blew it.)

(edit - sorry, I accidentally discovered the Post Message hotkey!)

Originally I almost picked up the LG model, looked like a good unit.

What difference is sensorless vector control going to make to your average lathe/mill user, better communtation or more accurate speed control, or what?

[This message has been edited by Ryobiguy (edited 12-28-2005).]

Comment

• Bruce Griffing
              • Jan 2003

On sensorless vector control - This provides a better sense of when the motor is deviating from the set speed. It allows the controller to maintain the set rpm under a wider range of load. It also responds more rapidly to a change in load. I think the LG's are generally pretty good. But they are also among the cheapest. Check the link - the one HP is below $200 new. The two HP is $259.

Comment

• sch
                • Sep 2001

The DealersElectric site noted above also has TECO FM50, which are $50-75 cheaper than the FM100 and only slightly less functional.
                Think Pentium 2.4ghz versus 3.4ghz. You will not likely note a difference. Both models have the ability to change the high freq drive freq if buzz or whine is a problem. Browse on the Dealers site on inventory to find the FM50s.
                Steve
                Steve

Comment

• beckley23
                  • Sep 2003

The Sensorless Vector Drive will also allow motor control at lower hertz than the regular VFD.
                  Harry

Comment

Working...
                  X