PDA

View Full Version : EDM articles

enray53
12-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Hi
I am in the process of designing an EDM machine and I have found from the searching the article index that a series called " EDM - Removing Metal by Spark Erosion" was published in HSM. I want to get the back issues containing this article. The problem is that the search only shows parts 7 to 12. Can some one tell me what issues parts 1 to 6 were in.Part 7 was jan/feb 2003 so it would have been 2002 issues
Thanks
Ray

Tin Falcon
12-30-2005, 05:46 AM
Enray:
Village Press has that in "Book" format at a reasonable price. Also Lindsay publications has a book on building an EDM machine. http://www.lindsaybks.com/
Good luck
tin

SGW
12-30-2005, 07:10 AM
Plans for an EDM machine were also published in "Strictly I.C." magazine.

Dawai
12-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Nothing really complicated.

Are you doing a sacrificial electrode type or a wire edm? (like a saw)

Seems the Normal way to build? is a Variac/bridge/capacitor/large resistor type power supply. I got a variac xfrmer the size of a wagon wheel here. I was using it on the tattoo bus to raise the voltage coming in from the swap meets, (off the end of a drop cord)... Seems it is good for quite a few amps.

A cheap-arsed welder might do what you want in the way of a supply, but ..

Current control? Spark monitoring? See last night's post for a HUGE ass build on that. Most people just use a rack of resistors and mosfets and switches.

I am not sure anyone actually "needs Vp's plans" unless they want to build a cnc copy.

A cnc powered cross slide, old drill press column like my very first cnc would work great for what I have in mind. I am tempted to build it all on the welding roll-around cart.

sch
12-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Robert Langlois wrote two series of articles on EDM, the first describing a sinker type EDM machine was republished as the booklet available through Village Press. The second series described a wire type EDM machine and this series has not been republished. There is a book by Ben Fleming describing a sinker type and he started a yahoo group for enthusiasts styled EDMhomebuilder(s) found at www.groups.yahoo.com. (http://www.groups.yahoo.com.) Ben's book is $20 to 25 and is well written. Dan Mauch sells plans for both sinker and wire EDM machines that were originally written in Europe. Dan's site can be googled up.
Steve