PDA

View Full Version : Paypal warning

Alistair Hosie
12-31-2005, 02:08 PM
I just got notification that I had $28.99 dollars taken from my paypal account from a firm I know nothing about or have ever ordered or bought from.It seems they are in Spain what should I do?Paypal want to know what I ordered have I complained to the company etc etc etc before they can continue.Alistair

Yankee1
12-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Hello,
About 3 years ago I received a phone call from my credit card company, they wanted to know if I purchased something for 1570.00.
I said I had not. I thought that was the end of that. Last year when I tried to order an item from e-bay using Pay-Pal to pay for it (as that was the only olainption the seller provided) I was informed that my account was permantly closed and could not be reopened. When I called them they sent me an e-mail stating that I had charged 1570.00 to my account and refused to pay for it. I explained what happened to no avail.They were not interested in the facts.
I've been very peeved about it ever since.
No recourse.
Chuck

turn2pb
12-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Alistair

Was the money actually taken or was it an email saying it was taken? Recently I had a email saying that a email name has been added to my account and should confirm it. Of course I did not follow the link provided to get to my paypal account but logged on myself and there was no email account added.

Brent

Yankee1
12-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Hello,
About 3 years ago I received a phone call from my credit card company, they wanted to know if I purchased something for 1570.00.
I said I had not. I thought that was the end of that. Last year when I tried to order an item from e-bay using Pay-Pal to pay for it (as that was the only option the seller provided) I was informed that my account was permantly closed and could not be reopened. When I called them they sent me an e-mail stating that I had charged 1570.00 to my account and refused to pay for it. I explained what happened to no avail.They were not interested in the facts.
I've been very peeved about it ever since.
No recourse.
Chuck

Yankee1
12-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Sorry about the unintentional double post.

Jim Caudill
12-31-2005, 03:12 PM
First thing is to immediately change your password. Then report this as a fraudulent transaction. They will investigate and make a determination and reverse the transaction. I had this happen to me for about $1,500. They were able to determine where the transaction had originated from and that I had not authorized it even though someone had logged on to my account using the proper password.

Alistair Hosie
12-31-2005, 03:55 PM
No it seems the money has been taken from my account I wrote to the company that took my money and they sent me this reply needless to say I have not responded to them.Alistair Ps I have just chenged my password

Dear Sir/Madam,

For further assistance, please come to our live chat help desk located at livehelp.ige.com/livehelp.mysupersales.com and one of our live customer service representatives will assist you in real time.

Best Regards,

Wilson C
IGE Customer Support
E-mail : support@ige.com
Live Chat : http://livehelp.ige.com
U.S. Toll Free Phone : 1-866-348-0205

Your Old Dog
12-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Alistar, not splitting hairs but there is a differance in "seems" they hae taken money and "I have actually gone to www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com) and logged in using my information and found that my account has been charged that specific amount.

If you follow a link from the email telling you of all this you may actually not be going to paypal at all but some scammers website setup to "look" like Paypal site.

If you havent yet, go to https://www.paypal.com and sign in and see what it says.

good luck.
ray.......

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 12-31-2005).]

Evan
12-31-2005, 04:48 PM
It's a scam Alistair. That domain name is registered to:

Internet Gaming Entertainment Ltd.
C&C 5/F, Yeung Yiu Chung 8,
Ind Bldg 20, Wang Hoi Road
Kowloon Bay, Kowloon
HK

Do not attemp to contact them or visit their website. Go to PayPal and check your account. If anything is out of order immediately notify PayPal.

Tim Mehner
12-31-2005, 05:09 PM
I just went through a similar deal. Someone swiped my CC info and tried to charge something to my paypal acct. Fortunately my CC co. was suspicious of the transaction and froze my acct. w/o letting it be charged to me. Unfortunately, they didn't notify me of this. I found out a few days ago when I tried to order a new computer from Gateway. My acct. was forzen and I couldn't purchase the computer. The guy at Gateway was very helpful, he got my CC co. on a conference call with us and we got it all straightened out. But I had to get a new card and acct. number. 2nd time this happened to me. I have since closed my paypal acct. since it was determined that the info was swiped from there. I mistakenly opened one of those fraud emails once a few weeks ago and they think that's how the hacker got my info. They said if the address doesn't have "https" at the beginning to not open it as that is a sure sign it's fraudulent.

.RC.
12-31-2005, 05:21 PM
The more I read about PayPal the more I think it is a scam on it's own...

I have read that it is best to keep $0 in your pay pal account(make a seperate account for pay pal only) and only put money in there when you buy something....

Alistair Hosie
12-31-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys I checked and they have taken the money from my account definitely I immediately on advice from you guys changed my password I wonder how they got my other password from my details as I am very careful Alistair

Arcane
12-31-2005, 05:38 PM
There`s quite a few disgruntled former users of PayPal out there.

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

aboard_epsilon
12-31-2005, 05:41 PM
Perhaps you are being hacked.
have you got a firewall in place other than the xp one ..
Also put a prog called adaware on your computer..........
if I pay for anything on the net or do any trans-action ........after I immediately log out delete my cookies temps the lot .........close my Internet down....so that when launch explorer I have a new IP Addy.
sounds extream.....but I don't trust the net.

all your ebay dealings should be done from the shortcuts in ebay its-self..all the end of sale messages are there...for you to verify.

ALL THE BEST.MARK

CCWKen
12-31-2005, 05:56 PM
If he has been hacked, how do we know this is the "real" Alistair? Ummmmmmm.

I suspect you have inadvertently subscribed to some hoax email.

Alistair Hosie
12-31-2005, 06:01 PM
but how would they know my paypal password?Alistair

aboard_epsilon
12-31-2005, 06:17 PM
from the norton site

Tools that can be used by a hacker or unauthorized user to attack, gain unwelcome access to or perform identification or fingerprinting of your computer. While some hack tools may also be valid for legitimate purposes, their ability to facilitate unwanted access makes them a risk. Hack tools also generally:

Attempt to gain information on or access hosts surreptitiously, utilizing methods that circumvent or bypass obvious security mechanisms inherent to the system it is installed on, and/or
Facilitate an attempt at disabling a target computer, preventing its normal use
One example of a hack tool is a keystroke logger -- a program that tracks and records individual keystrokes and can send this information back to the hacker. Also applies to programs that facilitate attacks on third-party computers as part of a direct or distributed denial-of-service attempt.

all the best.mark

CCWKen
12-31-2005, 06:18 PM
A simple task if you have a "key logger" on your computer. Check to make sure all your AV & spyware software is up to date and run some scans.

Make sure you check spybot's "ignore" lists. I checked a while back and found a couple checked that I didn't do. There's five or six lists you need to check.

You might want to use a Host file also. This will block outgoing links to known chumps.

Evan
12-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Rule number one: Never visit any website that requires confidential information or where you perform any transaction by clicking on a link in any e-mail. Links in an e-mail are trivial to "spoof".

Always enter the address yourself in the address bar of your browser.

Rule number two: For online transactions only use an account that you are willing to close tommorow, preferably one with a very low limit and at a different bank than your other accounts.

aboard_epsilon
12-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Rule number two..
Never share your main email address on the net .
When you post in these forums use Yahoo or something else as your Email address.
This way ..(but it's too late for you now unless you change your main email address altogether) ..........all the Ebay stuff I get is gen ..because I only share my outlook with Ebay and friends.
all the spoof stuff goes into yahoo.........where I know it's not gen.
because Ebay don't have my yahoo Addy.

So one of my blocks in Yahoo .is the word Ebay.
There are email harvesters that go thru the profiles in these forums and yahoo groups or whatever ...and that's how they get your Email Addy .......so that they can send you the dummy Ebay crap + Nigerian bank scams.

all the best....mark

johnhurd
12-31-2005, 07:01 PM
You guys make me very glad I have no PayPal or CCs, never had a problem with cash yet (knock on wood)

johnhurd
12-31-2005, 07:11 PM
oops double tap

[This message has been edited by johnhurd (edited 12-31-2005).]

.RC.
01-01-2006, 02:12 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnhurd:
You guys make me very glad I have no PayPal or CCs, never had a problem with cash yet (knock on wood)</font>

*sniff I thought I was the only one...

[This message has been edited by Ringer (edited 01-01-2006).]

PTSideshow
01-01-2006, 06:12 AM
As to harvesters I found it real interesting that after opening a photo bucket account and not yet getting around to up loading anything. I had a whole load of emails in the other mail box. with in 12 hours of opening the account.They were the only one that I had used the addy at.

------------------
Glen
Been there, probally broke it doing that

Evan
01-01-2006, 07:30 AM
"You guys make me very glad I have no PayPal or CCs, never had a problem with cash yet "

I have been in business selling computers retail for eight years now. I only take cash or check. Never had a bad check or counterfeit bill. I do check the bills under UV light but have never seen a bad one.

J Tiers
01-01-2006, 06:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:

I have been in business selling computers retail for eight years now. I only take cash or check. Never had a bad check or counterfeit bill. </font>

The car repair place down the street only takes CC or cash, no checks http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

When they have your name, ID, a licence number, address, AND the vehicle ID, you'd think they coould collect anything.... but they claim they've been bad checked enough not to.

They got nasty about it, actually, when I mentioned that they were not getting any more biz from me until they changed that. (no reason for me, just p.o'd at a stupid policy that racks up CC transactions and uses up credit line for no good reason.)

Incidentally, I am reliably informed that even if you leave no money in your paypal checking account, all they do is overdraft you, which you naturally then have to make good. So there isn't any differnce if your money is there or not.

Evan
01-01-2006, 06:45 PM
This is a small town and it's hard to hide. Besides, I have a few friends in low places. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif