PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of a Clausing Vetical Miller 8520

RockvilleRon
12-31-2005, 05:40 PM
I am a newbie looking at buying a 115V SINGLE PHASE CLAUSING VERTICAL MILLER. Any thoughts on value or general opinion as to utility of this mill for a home machinist? It is classified as a "knee mill" desirable or not desirable? Told you I was a newbie.. Thanks for any time spent commenting. My other current choice is a new Sieg X3 mill with powerfeed etc. Thoughts???

mike petree
12-31-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi Ron,
A friend of mine had a Clausing mill and he was very pleased with it. They are not as rigid as a Bridgeport but are nicely made and
a pleasure to operate. He built some very nice 1.5" scale locos with it. I think most came with a #2 morse spindle taper. I'm pretty sure that #2 collets are still available. He sold his for 1200.00 with a vise and some tooling.
p.s. the knee is a very desirable feature.

[This message has been edited by mike petree (edited 12-31-2005).]

sauer38h
12-31-2005, 07:17 PM
The Clausing 8520 uses 2 Morse collets, the 8525 uses 7 Brown & Sharpe. Both are available.

I'd buy the Clausing if it's all there and not totally clapped out. They were usually home shop or amateur machines. Most spent their lives in garages or basements, so some have suffered greviously from rust.

At auction I've seen these sell for anything from $750 to $1700.

SGW
12-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Search the archives; those mills have been discussed before.

For its size, it's a really nice milling machine -- assuming it's not worn out. Morse #2 collets, or B&S #7 collets, are still available, and you need only 3 or 4, if they don't come with the milling machine. 3/16", 3/8", and 1/2" will hold nearly all end mills. Those collets have a maximum size of 1/2", but for the size and limits of the machine, that isn't really a drawback.

A "knee milll" is good because you can adjust the spindle-to-table distance easily, without upsetting alignment.

Re: the Clausing vs. the Seig; if 'twere me, I'd get the Clausing, no question. IF the Clausing is in good shape.

MikeHenry
01-01-2006, 09:49 AM
The Clausing 8520 mills are usually considered very desireable for a home shop as they are easy to move with a van and into a basement and were well made. Folks with more room and sturdier transport would probably prefer a mill closer in size to a Bridgeport.

I've got an 8520 and like it, but mine was in nearly new condition whem I got it. Paid a lot more than $750 for it too, and have never regretted the decision.

Mike

Al Messer
01-01-2006, 10:25 AM
GRAB IT!!! Learn all you can on it and as you can always up-grade later.

Pat Miles
01-01-2006, 11:03 AM
I,ve had my 8520 for several years now. Bought it from a neighbor for $1100.00 with a good amount of tooling As it was and continues to be my first mill I have nothing to compare it to.For what I want out of it I am very happy with it. Comes apart in three major pieces each of which can be handled by two men for easy moving. 4" Kurt vise is a perfect match. If yours doesn't come with a manual/parts diagram let me know and I'll send you a copy. You will find that a lot of folks on this board own one and are willing to give advice and info regarding the mill. I am in the process of installing a power table feed thanks to the help from an individual on this board. As with any machine check to see that it is in good overall shape.

bob308
01-01-2006, 02:40 PM
i started with an 8520. still have it even after i got my fullsize mill.
i have said it before and will say it again they are way ahead of any mill-drill you can buy. yes the knee feature is good to have.

RockvilleRon
01-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Many thanks for all who responded I sincerely appreciate your time. Ron

RockvilleRon
01-02-2006, 01:47 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pat Miles:
I,ve had my 8520 for several years now. Bought it from a neighbor for $1100.00 with a good amount of tooling As it was and continues to be my first mill I have nothing to compare it to.For what I want out of it I am very happy with it. Comes apart in three major pieces each of which can be handled by two men for easy moving. 4" Kurt vise is a perfect match. If yours doesn't come with a manual/parts diagram let me know and I'll send you a copy. You will find that a lot of folks on this board own one and are willing to give advice and info regarding the mill. I am in the process of installing a power table feed thanks to the help from an individual on this board. As with any machine check to see that it is in good overall shape.</font>