PDA

View Full Version : High Helix cutters.... very nice.

J Tiers
01-02-2006, 06:23 PM
I got one a while back, not a really high helix, but an intermediate type for flattening surfaces. I was a little apprehensive about using it. Looked like a big load for a little mill.

hah....

Got better finish, and a whole lot less "mill abuse" as well as cranking of handles.

The high helix really lowers the cutting forces. I suppose somewhat like a high rake lathe cutter.

All those folks who I see in pics with what are basically wide slitting saws used as cutters on their little horizontal mill need to wise up. Those, by personal experience, tend to beat on the mill a lot harder. They aren't saving any wear if they need to flatten a larger surface.

It was less cutting and crank force to crank this cutter across mild steel in one pass than 4 or 5 passes of a narrow cutter with straight or mildly angled teeth. No banging, easy start....

And did I mention a whole lot less cranking? I was done before I started, almost.

Oh, yeah, chips are interesting long stringy curled ones, easier to clean up, I think, than small ones.

Worth a try if you have a smaller horizontal mill and need to flatten surfaces of stock

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/slabm.jpg

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 01-02-2006).]

bobbybeef
01-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Really great picture. worth a thousand words. What feed and speed did you find most comfortable.
Regards,
Bobby.

Evan
01-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Seems to me that is known as a slabbing cutter.

J Tiers
01-03-2006, 08:31 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bobbybeef:
Really great picture. worth a thousand words. What feed and speed did you find most comfortable.
Regards,
Bobby.</font>

Frankly, medium, and "just right".....

I ran the cutter around 100 fpm, in mild steel, which with a 2 1/2" cutter would be about 150 rpm.

Feed is manual, I fed until I got the regular "rrrrr-rrrrr" sound, which is what I usually do.

Yes, slabbing cutters sort of, but there is an even higher helix cutter for that.