PDA

View Full Version : 12... Miners are ALIVE

Tinkerer
01-03-2006, 10:57 PM
12... Miners are ALIVE. Thank God

CCWKen
01-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Good news! But I heard they found one that wasn't.

I wonder what kind of "payola" went on to keep that mine open. From what I heard, the place had over 200 safety reports in the last few months. It sounds like it was death looking for a time to happen.

I hope heads roll over this but I'm sure it will just get swept under the carpet with a little cash.

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 01-03-2006).]

speedy
01-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Just hearing the news today; nasty. Ken, I`m afraid that you are probably correct. We have all worked in environments that skip the rules or defer required action until a more conveniant time. It is easy to say that men can walk if they aint happy with the conditions but there is food to be put on the tables and the bills keep on rolling in. Kinda oweing the soul to the company store?
I do hope that more men are recovered.
Does anyone know how many are missing?

Ken

Millman
01-03-2006, 11:23 PM
My Dad was a coalminer in eastern Kentucky, kept us fed and clothed and yes ; had a company store. Black Lung killed him in 1969, so I have alot of sympathy for the miners and their families. Hope for the best.

------------------
Dave da Slave

Tinkerer
01-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Your right CCWKen... it is truly sad for the family that lost their Kin. But this could of been a worst tragedy for the community to have lost all of them. I'm just happy this ended as well as it has... my prayers were with these folks.

There was 13 trapped in the mine 1 died 12 saved.

Dawai
01-04-2006, 12:13 AM
The beginning of the Union movement was coal mines.. People were dying..

They made the basis of all the union agreements. More money, more saftey, retirement.

My folks were coal miners too. Grandpap/Dad got to Chattanooga where they ended up in the booming Steel industry. When we quit making nuclear vessels, Dad got a early retirement.

Steel industry went out of country in the 70s.. Now, Wheland has shut down, US pipe has been merged with Mueller, laid off more people. It is just a matter of time before the only work we have is handling foreign products or working at Mcdonalds.

You know? Like that Chinese Tool grinder I bought.

Tough job mining, it all could be done with robotics. Yeah, the rescue robot sucked. They should fire that engineer.

chief
01-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Glad to hear they are alive, Most of my family were coal miners, only way to survive if you were an immigrant unlike today. Miners are proud people and I bet within a week they will all go back to work wihtout any whinning or sniveling and if you ask them about their experience they will just say it's part of the job. I also express my admiration to the rescue gang.

sauer38h
01-04-2006, 12:54 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CCWKen:
From what I heard, the place had over 200 safety reports in the last few months.</font>

Sounds like typical newspaper hysteria to me. I suspect that number of reports is more or less normal for mines. Government inspection of mines must be as bad as OSHA. Just think what an OSHA inspection would say about your home shop - they'd bury you in a blizzard of citations, even though your shop probably isn't all that hazardous ... is it?

dicks42000
01-04-2006, 02:16 AM
1992....Westray mine explosion in Nova Scotia. Numerous safety violations in a barely economic underground mine...??? Not much came of the inquiries and did any of the owners/ managers go to jail ??? The mine operators went bankrupt....Only people who suffer in such events are the miners who loose jobs or die....

Tinkerer
01-04-2006, 02:26 AM
REPOST

posted 01-04-2006 01:57 AM

Damn.... Looks like only one miner may have survived. Sad very sad

He is in critical condition.. Man I can not believe this... I really hoped they were ok. But following this I can only say if this happened in the past,. They would of had them out... the rescue effort was so constipated in fear of what could happen instead of just getting in as fast as could be. Wheel in carts with oxygen and look for survivors and get them out.