PDA

View Full Version : Shaper poll

wierdscience
12-30-2005, 11:18 PM
I've been seeing pictures of people's shops on here for years and many have shapers in them,but I have been wondering.

First,how many here use the're shapers and second how often do they get used?

Since I'm the one asking I'll be the first to answer.

I have a shaper,it sits outside in the rain it never gets used.At work we have three,no maybe four and the last one to get used was a 20"Cinn about three years ago just before we bought our big broach set.
I used to use them more often nearly once a month and even cut some rack gears on them,but as the years have passed the uses get fewer and fewer.

So how is it by you?

hoffman
12-30-2005, 11:24 PM
I used mine the other day to make a little dovetail part.

J Tiers
12-31-2005, 12:11 AM
I used to use mine a lot. That was "before mill".

A shop re-arrangement, and acquisition of a newer shaper shifted several machines to where I can't use them easily.... shaper, die filer, bandsaw, and grinder. Newer shaper is a long-term scraping project, not done yet.

I am trying to find a way to get the old one back in use, since it can't be beat for flattening surfaces, etc. The mill sucks by comparison for that.

I've "milled" on a shpaer, cut gears on a shaper (bevel, at that), etc, etc. I like them. Just had to move SOMETHING and those items got moved.

Shaper I can do without, of course, because the mill does more. But I have no intention of not having a shaper in a usable place for much longer.

CCWKen
12-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Throw a tarp over it D. I'll be up to take it off your hands. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

thebusdweller
12-31-2005, 12:14 AM
i have a 7" south bend, i use it to square up stock for the mill. tom

vmil3
12-31-2005, 04:17 AM
Used the 14S to make a tapered steped block to fit in a fly cutter head on Monday, so I could chuck the fly cutter head and open up the threads.014". Asian head wouldn't fit the 1-1/2" - 18tpi adapter. Also squared up some plates for a 25 ton press I am building. Week before I beveled some plate for welding, and a couple of 5/8" and 3/4" keyways. My son used shaper also but I don't know what he was making, I just saw the chips on the shaper vice and table.

------------------
Doug

pgp001
12-31-2005, 04:42 AM
I am on my third shaper, iv'e had a 10" Alba, an 8" Boxford, and now use a 7" Atlas.

Mine gets used for profiling replacement teeth for antique musical box combs, if a mill is used it generates too much heat and distorts the thin material, the shaper works nice and slow, and everything stays flat.

Phil

Your Old Dog
12-31-2005, 06:19 AM
I use one alot as an excuse. I tell SWMBO that not having having a 7" Atlas is the reason nothing gets done around the house.

pistonskirt
12-31-2005, 07:34 AM
My 14M gets used at least a couple of times per month, mostly for "parting off" thick plate & chomping square / rectangular section down to required size.
It is probably quicker than & certainly saves excessive wear & tear on my relatively light duty master toolmaker mill.

Wishing all you good fellows a happy & contented New Year

Brian

rockrat
12-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Used mine the other day to put a flat on some worm gears for a fellows telescope. Used it cus the mill was set up for something different. I like mine. I try to use it once a month. Just to keep my mind sharp if for nothing else.

rock-

JCHannum
12-31-2005, 08:00 AM
I have had four Atlas 7" shapers. I have used all of them to make a profit.

I did keep one for a couple of years and tried it. It was kind of fun, but took an inordinate amount of time to accomplish anything. With a milling machine next to it, it was mainly taking up space needed for something else. When the T&C grinder showed up, it went.

I have never missed it. I made almost a $1000 profit on that one, used $30.00 of that to buy two dovetail cutters.

Luke55
12-31-2005, 08:22 AM
Use mine as much as the mill drill. Shaper tooling is less expensive for special shape

Al Messer
12-31-2005, 08:36 AM
I don't have a mill, so I use my 7" South Bend a lot, especially cutting down scrap that I have scrounged to a usable size and shape. I used to have an Atlas--I think that I like it better than the South Bend because it is more "operator friendly"--you don't have to crawl into its guts to adjust the stroke, and you can precisely set the position of the ram without guessing.

JRouche
12-31-2005, 09:55 AM
I use mine 24/7 to hold up a shop blanket http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Thinkin bout ebayin her on up. I better get out there and cut something to get those thoughts out....JRouche

hoffman
12-31-2005, 10:19 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRouche:
I use mine 24/7 to hold up a shop blanket http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Thinkin bout ebayin her on up. I better get out there and cut something to get those thoughts out....JRouche</font>

DON'T DO IT! You're the reason I got mine...

mochinist
12-31-2005, 10:56 AM
Don't have any at work, and the only time I have ever seen them is when you guy's post picture's of yours. I also go to alot of shops around the Phx area and have yet to see one. I think shapers probably still have a use in a few shops out there, but they are mostly destined for garages and one man shops.

lynnl
12-31-2005, 11:05 AM
My metal cutting has been kinda dormant the last few months, but when I'm more active I use my 7" Logan shaper at every opportunity.

Given the choice between it and the Bridgeport, I always pick the shaper ...'cause it's sooo much fun to watch.

littlelocos
12-31-2005, 11:27 AM
I had an Atlas 7" shaper for about 5 years and enjoyed using it. It was slow, but relatively accurate. Then it went dormant for about 2 years (after I got the mill-drill). The guy I sold it to enjoyed it as well, but has not used it very much in the last three years or so since he bought it.

Now, I'd like to have a way to cut internal gears for a couple of miniature I.C. engine projects and am considering purchasing another one (or buying back the first one.)

Profiling small steam engine blocks and making duplicate parts (sandwich style) is where it takes over from the mill.

Call me nuts (or a pack-rat), but if you've got the room for it IN the shop, they are still useful.

Todd.

------------------
Todd Snouffer
Littlelocos Model Engineering

Wirecutter
12-31-2005, 11:50 AM
Oh boy. I just bought one, and I'm waiting for it to get shipped. It's an Atlas, and the guy I purchased it from is just like some folks here - he doesn't use it enough and he needs the room.

I want mine for cutting internal gears and keyways, and perhaps regular gears. Also, like Luke55 said, it seems like it's easier when special tooling and profiles are needed.

For now, I have the room. The shop might start exanding into more of the basement, though.

-M

Alistair Hosie
12-31-2005, 04:21 PM
What does it matter (unless your really short of space) if you have one if you don't use it all the time! Sometimes machines just have to be had http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifAlistair p.s happy new one in a few hours http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

JRouche
12-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Thats my problem, running outta room. I have a 10EE coming in and I was gonna sell the S.B. 10L to make room but started thinking I would like to use the S.B. still, I am very comfortable with it.

Then as I was thinking of selling the shaper this thread comes up. So I start thinking of the internal keyways/gear ways. Oh man, now I gotta keep the shaper.

So, the 50 ton press gets shoved to a less desirable spot in the garage, along with the grinders. I'll push the water softener tank over abit. I think I'll make it work.

I will still have to sell off a couple of goodies soon. I think I can live without the Barker mill, a largish indexer, the Bridgeport M-head and some useless woodworking equipment http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Yep, the shaper stays. Thanks for the brainwashin, I almost came to my senses and sold her...JRouche

Bob Quale
12-31-2005, 05:36 PM
I have a step toe. I have not done much machining in the last year, I have an internal key way to do next, and a few other things laying around. I love my shaper!

Bob

Peter S
12-31-2005, 07:35 PM
I had a 24" Butler for many years - man was that a solid machine!
Unfortunately, it didn't come with a vise, so one day I decided to advertise it, and a guy wanted one just like that to use as a mini planer.
So now its gone..one day maybe, I'll get another thats not so big, and with a vise.

jkilroy
12-31-2005, 07:50 PM
I have two, a 7" Southbend and a 20" G&E. The 7" Southbend gets used as much as any tool in the shop. If I don't have anything "real" for it to do I will put it to work squaring up blocks that don't even yet have to be square. I'll face off mild steel just to watch it run. The 20" is just getting set to go, I have not made chips with it yet, but soon. And it has the full universal table so I will be able to cut all sorts of interesting stuff on it.

NAMPeters
01-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Got a 7"SB which is in a refurbishment cycle, needs a new gib and the pawl/gear is badly worn. Use it for misc. odd ball things that need light cuts for old machine restoration. Other times it is used for therapy, love the motion and sounds, so soooothing. Have a Happy New Year. Neil Peters

edbannister
01-01-2006, 04:19 PM
I have a Peerless 9 inch that i use on a regular basis. I have just purchased a Wells Index milling machine so maybe the shaper will not get as much use.
Ed

wierdscience
01-01-2006, 07:15 PM
I guess it boils down to having the room and weather or not a mill is availible.

I had a 8' stroke Ohio planer offered to me the otherday,I have always wanted a planner,but don't know if it would see much use.You think something will be handy and then you get it,set it up and it collects dust 90% of the time.

quasi
01-01-2006, 07:15 PM
used my Elliot 14m yesterday to remachine a couple of powermatic tablesaw extensions.

uute
01-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Have had an Atlas for about a year & 1/2 now, no mill, so it gets a fair amount of use. Last item was squaring the ends of some railroad rail (don't ask & I may tell you someday) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

That's one thing i do like about it, on sh*t steel scrap, if you hit a hard spot, you can regrind a tool bit easier than you can a mill cutter (and you don't even have to straighten it! ) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

PolskiFran
01-02-2006, 07:41 PM
I have a 7" South Bend. I used it for cutting specially serrated heads for custom punches. There hasn't been much for it to do for the past few years, so it has been moved to the lower level of the storage rack until it is needed.

Frank

#66B
01-02-2006, 08:07 PM
I have a 16" Cincinnati, & it will be here as long as I'm here, don't use it real often, but when needed it is the ticket. Picked it up at a auction 8 years ago for ($17.50) ready to go & in real nice shape,everyone there was jok'in about how we were goin to load it. For that price we laughed the whole way home, thank goodness it was an estate sale with no loading equipment in site, so we went home & got our own.

Cecil Walker
01-03-2006, 06:52 AM
I have a 7" AMMCO. Can put it to work, walk away for a few minutes and try to accomplish something else. Like to hear it working in the background, music to my ears.

caddy
01-03-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm just a shaper "wanna be". I would like to have one but never seem to be in the right place at the right time. Besides, some of the asking prices are a bit steep for machines that don't see a good deal of action.I had hoped to find one before I retired when I had more "play money"
If any of you in the Great Southwest (AZ) know of or want to sell you machine PLEASE let me know either by forum or e-mail. (can I post my address here? oh well, here it is:
ib61soon@cox.net
Thanks guys

madman
01-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Have an elliot 14 inch. Used it quite a while ago squaring up some stainless blocks. I built a automatic wire cutting attachment for it and also a nice vice made of plate angle and keyed to table then used the shaper to cut the v out. Nice for keying shafts. Nice to set up shaper switch it on auto feed. Then you can bore holes on bridgeport and while thats feeding run the lathe a bit. A true one man operation. I havent used the shaper for a while though cause it made a big loud bang and now the stroke adjustment doesnt work right. Also my one man shop has once again turned into im sick of customers and once again i have a job. Handy machine though.

Alistair Hosie
01-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a boxford 8" which Thrud uses for slicing his sisters meatloaf http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifseriously it is a nice machine,don't use it very often mainly due to illness but I do sometimes Alistair

JCHannum
01-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Anybody in the South Carolina area looking for a small shaper might be interested in this one;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6240976737&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX

BillB
01-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Have to admit I haven't used my 8" Shape-Rite nearly as much since I got the v. mill. It's still more fun than any other machine in the shop though, and can do a few tricks otherwise either nearly impossible, or requiring far more costly tooling.

Interesting how many guys from the HSM BBS/Cabin Fever Expo group have weighed in on this thread....

BillB

andypullen
01-04-2006, 06:39 AM
I have a 12" Sheldon that I use quite a bit. There are just some things a shaper can do that a mill can't do economically. I don't see any future shop without at least one. They are great to set up and run even if just roughing material off while you do something else....Saves wear and tear on the mill, too.

Andy Pullen

I'll have to agree with Cecil; I like the sound of the machine cutting and the chip "clicking" off the end of the part and ringing when it hits the floor....

[This message has been edited by andypullen (edited 01-04-2006).]

heavysteamer
09-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I got a Smith & Mills 16" shaper in about 1977 or 78. Started it up and it had a little noise, so I thought I'd just go through it before I put it to work. Well, it's still sitting there all apart, partially scraped etc. I am of course developiing a very powerful shaper urge. Don't have room for the S&M in my new shop area so am now looking for a smaller shaper that needs NO working on.

09-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I have a Hendey 12 inch, Something I really didn't need but I wanted one so I got it. It is setting in the new Addition I'm building for my machine shop, It will be the frist thing that gets hooked up.I already have some projects for it....Hope to have it hooked by winter, And I've got to build a new rpc for the new part also.

John Stevenson
09-10-2007, 05:13 PM
After reading how good they are at flattening large surfaces I bought an 18" Alba.

Made space for it in the workshop, wired it in, never used it but the sheer weight did manage to flatten the floor so they do work.
Took it out and sold it now the floor's flat. :D

Seastar
09-10-2007, 05:56 PM
I bought a 7" SB last spring and used it once to square up it's own table and vise.
It's in Indiana and I am in Minnesota and can't wait to get back and use it this fall.
Bill
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2387/img03911br5.th.jpg (http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img03911br5.jpg)

HTRN
09-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Well, I almost bought an Aammco last week.

Seemed to be ignored, so I figured, I'd throw in a bid of $212 at the last second.

Unfortunately, somebody else(2 actually) was also sniping(using software I'm guessing) and drove the price above 300 in the last 5 seconds.

Ah well.

HTRN

jones
09-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I have an 11" Douglas "High Speed" shaper, the vice on it is not currently sitting flat, or something is wrong because the table is exactly parallel with the ram, but it makes things tapered around .010 over 5 inches. I mostly use it for non-critical surfaces, since it gives such a nice finish and you don't really have to polish the surface afterwards.

platypus2020
09-10-2007, 09:39 PM
I just bought an Atlas 7B shaper, I have plugged it in, the motor runs, the ram moves back and forth, and the ratching table feed work in both directions. Now if I could get home from the job in Vermont, I could start using it.

Jack

madman
09-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Ground a 2 inch thick table with milled key ways and holes to mount a electronic rotator for internal splining jobs (havent gott any yet ) But any how I got so much old stuff if the shaper was gone there would be space in my shop for another old machine. I just like it and its a neat old piece.

Michael Edwards
09-11-2007, 01:20 AM
I've got three right now. First one is 1942 G&E 28" universal table, 8 speed, 7 1/2 HP, manual clutch,rapid traverse, standard vise. Second one, and my favorite is a 1979 G&E Mitts & Merrill 24" uni table, tool lifter, power downfeed, 16 speed,10 HP, power table lift (wish the 28" had that) rapid traverse, twin screw vise, electric clutch (wish it was manual) Third shaper approx. 1905 G&E 16" standard table, two speed (but someone added a variable speed drive) 3HP, standard vise. Just recently started using them cause I got my RPC going. I find myself using either the 16" or the 24". I'm just a HSM, and don't get as much time to use them as I would like, but I much prefer the shapers over my POS ENCO mill. Obviously my 10HP shaper will remove metal much faster than my R8 spindle and 1.5 HP. Ya gotta have a mill first, but I love my shapers, great finish, chips are not as annoying as endmill chips and its more fun to run. :D

ME

Michael Moore
09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
What does it matter (unless your really short of space) if you have one if you don't use it all the time! Sometimes machines just have to be had

That pretty much sums up my 8" Rhodes. If I can ever clear enough space to get to it I might use it, but so far many of my projects that could be moved to a shaper from the mill are just too big for a small shaper.

cheers,
Michael

oil mac
09-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Shapers are a way of life!___ I have two, a nice little power driven 6" stroke Super Adept, which i have had since about1959, ( we have both grown old graciously:D Also a 10" stroke Royal, ( built by New Realm Engineering Co of Croydon), And a nice old last war vintage6" stroke slotting machine by Denham of Halifax, absolutely the best thing since sliced bread for internal spline and slotting work, although i made a relieving toolholder and use her as a vertical shaping machine, and last but not least a 20" sroke hand power planing machine,
Although my milling machines are more efficient, i still find the shapers a more pleasant tool to use, more of a " last remaining link," to when engineering was more of a mechanical art, Who cares when the name of the game is a pleasant hobby to pass the time.

Saying such the older designs of milling machines are lovely things as well machines by Herbert, Parkson, Brown & Sharp, Cincinnati,
Kearney & Trecker and others Examples of high art in engineering design, similar to their sisters the shaping machines, Lovely flowing lines !.

sandiapaul
09-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I have 2, an old Rhodes 7" and a German Gack which I just got running last weekend. I ground a decent tool, did a little honing on it put it in the machine and played around a bit. Wound up getting the nicest finish I have ever seen made on a machine tool by a cutter. I'll be keeping mine!

speedy
09-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Oil Mac you have one of these? I have the head and clapper for this now and am currently looking for a table. I haven`t machined anything on it yet but it does run nice. it makes better background music than the radio:D
I also have a Viceroy Royale 250 and I believe the castings were made in India? maybe the maching also?
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v367/speeedy/shapers/?action=view&current=9a22a3b8.jpg

I had an incomplete hand shaper that I sold to a chap in town, it was the Aussie version of the Adept.

wierdscience
09-12-2007, 12:25 AM
That is a neat little shaper,are they still in production?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/speeedy/shapers/9a22a3b8.jpg

speedy
09-12-2007, 06:18 AM
Wierd, I do not believe that these are produced anymore but I understand that there is an Aussie hobby joint that sells a similar hand operated shaper; kit , complete or raw castings? I am unsure but our cousies across the ditch or the loco crowd may know more.
here is the ever used link that will give you the guts on the Adept and others.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/adeptshaper/

jdleach
09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Just now seen this thread and decided to post my shaper.

I have a (God knows the size, the ram is about 4' long) Wm. Barker of Cincinnati, OH standard vibrating arm shaper in well-worn condition. We used it for production of flat surfaces on castings my family made for the medical industry.

Looks exactly like this one, except there is a Rube Goldberg drive assembly my grandfather cobbled together from a huge 7hp elec. motor and a '37 Dodge transmission in the back. Also, the ram adjusting lever is gone, replaced by a nut, and my vise has the swivel base.

http://home.sprynet.com/~bshank01/id3.html

Just started it up after ten years of collecting dust week before last. Promptly shucked the rotted flat belt. Got it back up and running last week after lacing up a new length of SBR rubber belt from Grainger.

Have zero intention of ever selling it, having grown up listening the the growl, slide, and flap, of the monster. Just need to find the time and money to go through it. Still cuts OK, but is not very accurate anymore, with most of the wear on the saddle and cross-way. Another problem is that the vibrating arm disintegrated at some point in the distant past, and is now comprised of a built-up steel affair that definitely doesn't look original.

Dave

Fasttrack
09-09-2009, 08:12 PM
26" Bertram Shaper

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/fasttrack237/Shaper/100_1420.jpg

Haven't gotten her running yet, but I don't ever plan on selling it. It's too purty. :D

oldtiffie
09-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Oil Mac you have one of these? I have the head and clapper for this now and am currently looking for a table. I haven`t machined anything on it yet but it does run nice. it makes better background music than the radio:D
I also have a Viceroy Royale 250 and I believe the castings were made in India? maybe the maching also?
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v367/speeedy/shapers/?action=view&current=9a22a3b8.jpg

I had an incomplete hand shaper that I sold to a chap in town, it was the Aussie version of the Adept.

Ken,

I did see that site in OZ for the hand-shaper castings. I didn't keep the link - sorry.

But if anyone is interested in giving some old flappers and slappers a good work-out - try these!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapper

http://www.redcafe.net/f8/old-slappers-who-prefer-younger-men-25450/

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=old+slappers&meta=&aq=0&oq=old+slapper

They sure sound like "shaping machines"!!

jdleach
09-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Neat shaper! About when was it made? I would think that with the front support, some serious hogging could be accomplished.

By the way, if you was to take a guess, when do you suppose my Barker was made?

The Artful Bodger
09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
That is a neat little shaper,are they still in production?

I have one, just like it, complete and in full working order. I like to give it little jobs to do just to watch it 'click', 'whirr' and 'scritch' its way across a chunk of cast iron.:)

oldtiffie
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Wierd, I do not believe that these are produced anymore but I understand that there is an Aussie hobby joint that sells a similar hand operated shaper; kit , complete or raw castings? I am unsure but our cousies across the ditch or the loco crowd may know more.
here is the ever used link that will give you the guts on the Adept and others.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/adeptshaper/

Ken,

still can't find the site in OZ.

I did come across this though - any comments anyone?

http://www.pitstop.net.au/view/technical-workshop-technique/page/query/plu/293/

.RC.
09-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I have an Elliott 14M, It does it's job of making people wonder what the hell it does..

Pherdie
09-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I've never had one, have no room for one or any conceived usage for one.

I want one REAL BAD!

09-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I have a 12 Hendey use it about 2 times a week. I would never sell mine either...:D

Ken_Shea
09-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Big shapers are sure impressive, you gotta love em.

Been eyeballing this 25" Smith & Mills

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x175/Ken_Shea/SMITHandMills25BG.jpg

Herm Williams
09-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I have an 8 in logan that I use two or three times a week, much easier to get a smooth finishing cut on dies. At work we have a 36 inch rockford planer and a 14 foot rockford the plan to use both to make pressbrake dies.

J Tiers
09-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Wow... yet another Zombie thread...... back from the dead....

I just recently saw a small hand shaper, I want to say it was Drummond, but I can't recall for sure, at an estate sale. There was a very nice S-B lathe there as well, apparently neither used that much, by the wear.

The deceased had a telescope mount in the attic over the garage, and the shop apparently supported that.

The little shaper was not for sale, the S-B was.

I still am not using my Atlas that much, but it (actually still "they") is too useful to get rid of entirely. I've had that little shaper throwing 3/16" x 0.020 (max feed) chips around the shop several times..... really roughs down a surface fast.

Fasttrack
09-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Big shapers are sure impressive, you gotta love em.

Been eyeballing this 25" Smith & Mills

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x175/Ken_Shea/SMITHandMills25BG.jpg

Do it! :)

JDLeach - I'm no expert on shapers. Far from it, in fact! Based on what the seller told me and based on Bertram's history, I believe this shaper is of 1930's vintage. I would guess yours is in a similar era, maybe 1940's?

I expect this Bertram to take some monster cuts. I've seen similar sized Cinci's take a DOC of .5", pushing off chips that are huge! I need to rebuild the clapper box before I can test out mine. Then I need to rebuild the auto-downfeed (all the parts are missing :( ) and a few other details, like the pressurized oil system.

speedy
09-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Ken, still can't find the site in OZ.
I did come across this though - any comments anyone?

Mick, I hade a dig about.

Try here http://www.hobbymechanics.com.au/products_page.htm

http://www.hobbymechanics.com.au/metalmaker.htm

JCHannum
09-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Mick, I hade a dig about.

Try here http://www.hobbymechanics.com.au/products_page.htm

http://www.hobbymechanics.com.au/metalmaker.htm

I see that kit is about a 6" X 6" stroke X travel and priced at $608.50. The Martin Models kit mentioned here a few weeks ago is about 4" X 4", and quite a bit cheaper at $365.00.

http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools.html

oldtiffie
09-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Ken (Speedy).

That's it!!! - many thanks.

Is that similar (enough) to the one you posted about?

Have you seen it work? How well does it work?

I've been looking for it for a while.

It seems small enough for me as I only need it for dove-tails and "slotting" work (keyways and splines etc.).

From the little I can see from the very sketchy sketch (??) it seems that I may be able to modify it to go onto the table on my HF-45 square column mill. I would also use it in conjunction with my largish angle plate and my 6" rotary table as well.

50Kg should be manageable.

I am very tempted to contact them and get some advice and pics etc. and if OK I reckon that I might just go for it.

It would be a good project.

Any advice or comments?

Again, many thanks as your effort is very much appreciated.

Evan
09-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Here is a link to my shaper video.
It's a Whipp 16" from 1929 or so. I used it recently to cut a chunk off a huge slab of extremely work hardened bronze that my bandsaw wouldn't even touch.

http://ixian.ca/gallery/displayimage.php?album=7&pos=2

Tinkerer
09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi my name is Tinkerer. I've been hooked on them for some time now and use my Atlas weekly. I've been working on a QC tool post and some wrench heads lately... also have a radius clapper head in the works. I'm a Shaperhalic... On a twelve step program. IOW all my machines are within 12 steps form one another... well maybe a couple of hops as well... things been pilling up a bit. :p

Walter
09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Have one sitting out in the storage building at work. There have been many times I could have used it. I look forward to getting it in to the shop, cleaned up and into service.

Am currently in the middle of moving a Hardinge second op lathe into the shop. Due to the layout of the building and the location of my shop we have had to totally disassemble the lathe, and will have to do the same with the shaper.

928gene928
09-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I have an 8" Shaperite, and it is a very handy machine. I can do many projects that are difficult or impossible on my mill or other machine tools.

bob308
09-10-2009, 06:23 PM
i have a 12" verion i use my tool post grinder in it a lot to make thread chasers. it does make a fair surface grinder

speedy
09-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Jim, that is US$365 plus freight and insurance to Australia? Against A$608 for a fine local Australian item 50% bigger :)

Mick, I used to own an incomplete TNC, the Australian copy of the Adept that I subsequently sold (without the table).
IMO It was every bit as good quality as the Adept.
Today I checked back and it weighed near enough to 17kg on the old bathroom scales.
The HMS 150 MARK 1 has a net weight of 50kg so should be a tad heavier build allowing for the table and how much material needs to be removed.
I have only ever communicated with Hobbymechanics when I was searching for a table for my motor driven Super Adept.
Some time and good luck later I came upon a table that, although not original, is as close as dammit.
Whether I was to buy the Hobbymechanics item? Welllll, that would depend on how available small shapers are over your way and your needs or wants. Whatever gives you pleasure is OK by me; so go ahead, you have my permission :D

JCHannum
09-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Jim, that is US$365 plus freight and insurance to Australia? Against A$608 for a fine local Australian item 50% bigger :)

No it is merely an alternate. I had posted the Martin kit a while back, and several others thought it was rather pricey. In comparison to the Australian one, it does not appear to be out of line.

Shipping of either kit between US & Australia is probably prohibitive.