PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot/ Roybi "Deal"

caddy
01-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Howdy Boys
Not wanting to create any controversy but I am looking for some opinions. My Milwaukee battery has expired (again) and the replacement is $80. A tad spendy I think! The Depot has a Ryobi "deal" going that if you buy SELECTED kits you can get a cash rebate for any additional tool you want. The kit is $169 and you get more stuff than I want BUT I can obtain an additional drill with two new batteries and charger in the "extra" tool ($60) for the 169 (+tax)
after the rebate. The only issue is that there is more stuff than I want and I being cheap cannot just trash them! any ideas? How does everyone like the Ryobi stuff? 18V dill have enough torque?
Thanks
Caddy

madman
01-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Batteries are still an issue. I finally broke down bought a couple nice heavy extension cords. Sick of rechargeable junk. Plug it in and giddeup. Also have a good generator in work truck for on site work.

laddy
01-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey,
I had a Ryobi rechargeable drill for years. I was I believe an 8 or 9 volt. I also went and bought a replacement battery when the original one died and paid almost as much for just the battery than if I bought the whole drill, but it seemed like a waste. I used it for years till the chuck broke. I then went and bought a HF cheapy and it stinks. I'd go with the Ryobi again or Dewalt. I hear good things about them. Fred

Bruce Griffing
01-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Everyone is going to 18V drills. I have an 18V DeWalt, a 12v Makita, a 9.6V Makita and a 12 V Ryobi. Before the brand discussion, I would like to point out that I use the 12V drills the most. I would use the 9.6 more as well, but it is 25 years old and a little tired. Drills of this size and weight are just more useful - in my world. I do sometimes use the DeWalt - but not that often. It is just too heavy for no gain in most situations.
As to brands, the Makitas have been very very good. The DeWalt quality is good as well. Ryobi is a lower end brand, but so far, I have had good luck. It has fewer features and less torque for the same voltage, but I still find it useful.

3 Phase Lightbulb
01-03-2006, 10:02 AM
I have the Ryobi 18V combo pack and I abuse the drill all time. It's only about 1 yerar old so I haven't noticed an issue with the batteries yet, but I've worn out the keyless chuck so it's very hard to keep bits from spinnning in the chuck now..

I prefer to use my Dewalt corded drill on the ground, and the cordless when I'm up-and-about on a lader or moving around alot.

-Adrian

Milacron of PM
01-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Does *anyone* make a cordless drill that utilizes standard C size NiCad or NiMH batteries, that you can just replace like in a flashlight...except in this case in their own "cradle" for quick changeout/charging possiblities of course.

If not, is there any reason this couldn't be done if they wanted to ?

(and yes I know you could make up your own pack, to replace any drill battery pack in theory, but too much PITA)

cebump
01-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Caddy,

For what it is worth, I had three dead batteries rebuilt at a local battery store. The cost was 35-40 per item. I have 5 tools that use the same battery so it seemed the best way to go, not to mention not throwing away the tools as they still run great. The batteries were 18v millwaulkee.

Brian

3 Phase Lightbulb
01-03-2006, 10:47 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D. Thomas:
Does *anyone* make a cordless drill that utilizes standard C size NiCad or NiMH batteries, that you can just replace like in a flashlight...except in this case in their own "cradle" for quick changeout/charging possiblities of course.</font>

I think Fisher Price does http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Fasttrack
01-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I had a 12v Milwaukee drill with two dead batteries. Took it into a battery place around here and they rebuilt both of them for a total of $60. Besides that the ampere-hour rating was better on the rebuilds than the factory made ones. Look around and see if you can get them rebuilt!
My brother-in-law runs a fairly large farming operation and they have had 3 ryobis for a long time. One of them is at least 8 years old. They are all 18 volt and, due to all the climate change and general abuse they do run through batteries pretty fast but the drill themselves seem to be real workhorses. The only one they junked was one that they dropped from the top of an 80 foot leg...the plastic handle broke but the rest of still worked even after that. They have a good deal of torque, not as much as the rigid 18v but it is more controllable. Unless they have changed in the last two years they are real good drills.

dvideo
01-03-2006, 01:11 PM
well....

you could make a batt pack that was pretty butch....

this is not rocket science... NiCads are not good.... you know the problems.... NiMH are just batteries..

If you hace the dead batt pack - then canabalize for connections and fit.. make a mount for local C Cells.... or extension to a back pack D Holder....

would this be a good arcile for HSM? Hacking the Pack?...

--jerry

Tin Falcon
01-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Caddy:
Ryobi is IMHO Yak Dung!!!! I have had a couple of ryobi tools and hate them. I like the idea of battery rebuilds.
Tin

wierdscience
01-04-2006, 12:19 AM
My advice is to spend $169 on JUST a good drill and forget the rest.

I got a Makita 14.4 volt 3/8 VSR with an extra battery and four packs of drill bit and drivers for $165 a little over three years ago.I know I have driven at least 10,000 screws of various types.

Forrest Addy
01-04-2006, 04:51 AM
18 V Ryobi system tools work pretty good for me and I work hell out of the drill and the chop saw.

I think them that completely denounce what works for others may be ding a disservice to people trying to find a tool balanced to meet their affordability/reliability requirements.

I just wish that the various battery packs interchanged withing a given voltage. Quick and easy cell replacement would be nice too. That will never work because everyone knows that Ryobi's 18 volts is mush different from Makita 18 volts and so an interchange voids the warranty.

DBW
01-04-2006, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by caddy:
Howdy Boys
Not wanting to create any controversy but I am looking for some opinions. My Milwaukee battery has expired (again) and the replacement is $80. A tad spendy I think! The Depot has a Ryobi "deal" going that if you buy SELECTED kits you can get a cash rebate for any additional tool you want. The kit is $169 and you get more stuff than I want BUT I can obtain an additional drill with two new batteries and charger in the "extra" tool ($60) for the 169 (+tax)
after the rebate. The only issue is that there is more stuff than I want and I being cheap cannot just trash them! any ideas? How does everyone like the Ryobi stuff? 18V dill have enough torque?
Thanks
Caddy[/QU

Why not make a extension cord with the battery box and a set of alligator clips? Then you could run the drill off a small 12v
car or boat battery with a carring handle

Lynn Standish
01-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Last summer, Home Depot was selling a pair of 18V Ryobi batteries for 39.95. I bought a pack to replace the ones in my Homelite weedeater and hedge trimmer that had gone dead. Did you check to see if they can sell you the batteries only?

Fasttrack
01-04-2006, 10:09 AM
"Ryobi is IMHO Yak Dung!!!! I have had a couple of ryobi tools and hate them."

Yeah I dont know anything about thier new drills, but the older (by two years) battery powered drills really do work well for thier cost. Especially considering all of the abuse they get and they still are cranking away with plenty of power. On the other hand, our school's shop used to have a ryoby drill press. It was the biggest piece of sh** made. I guess you have to be really careful about wich product you buy

Tin Falcon
01-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Guys:
Did not intend to offend anyone with the Yak Dung comment. I have a friend that owns a steel fabrication business. About three years ago we were discussing tools. At that time he swore by Ryobi. He said I can buy three Ryobi tools for the price of one Dewalt.I worked for him most of this past year. The ryobi tools are gone and have been replaced by DeWalt and Milwakee. Yes by all means use what works for you. And tool quality changes from year to year. Very few of us can afford top of the line across the board. . I tried a couple of Ryobis because of the price but did not find them to be a good value.
Tin

tyranorbis
01-04-2006, 05:13 PM
brand wise i will not own a ryobi, unless they come up to the quality of Milwaukee is at.

as for comparing a drill vrs drill based on voltage alone goes, i think that is total horsechit. voltage is only one part of the factor, the main part is the motor itself.
how many wires and turns it has ,type of magnets, brushed or brushless. then you got the eltronic speed controll, how many amps can it handle, how many how many speeds does it have. then the battery itself capacity, weight, how many cycles is it good for.
i only know this because of messing with r/c cars,plus my father spent couple years in industrial electronic course. and from what i can tell its either scaled up or down of what the r/c industry is using today

BillH
01-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Just dont store batteries dead, and periodically top them off to keep them charged. Nicads self discharge over time, well most batteries do.

SHOPA$$
01-04-2006, 06:25 PM
My old part time worked involved selling these things, if I recall correctly there was "only" two manufactures of sub-c nicads, I think Panasonic, and another one. Everyone else use one of these two makers for their batteries. The batteries were graded somehow as to quality. The better ones went into the higher grade tools. Heat is a killer of batteries. This is why those 9.6v long battery Makita drills lasted a long time. The more cells clustered the harder it is to dump the heat. All bateries self dicharge, I think the Ni-MH are worse than the Nicad on this. Ni-MH where a reaction to Europe outlawing Nicads, and put on the market at much lower margin than the Nicad batteries to get the American market. The manufatures did not want to have two lines of batteries and chargers in their system.

So if I remember it correctly, and IMHO it was something like this as of three years ago

Panasonic had great drills, great batteries, and no so great service

Makita had good motors, and I liked most of their other battery tools, with good service

Dewalt had alright motors, but some of their other tools seemed alittle awkward to my hands, with a fair amount of local service

Hitatchi was kind of a orphan without a lot of support.

Porter Cable was in a "Drill design of the month" back then with a lot of different short run designs, with different batteries/chargers designs.

Milwaukee cordless was not a big seller until the others tools(saws, etc) started to
show up in kits with good support. But had a few quarcky orphins before that, seem to take them a little longer to figure out a good motor design.

Bosch cordless really stayed loyal to their European designs, that did not sell well in the states. But where not a "bad" tool just a slow seller.

The "home owner grade" Ryobi, Skill, B&D, where all relatively equal in price and performance. The Chinese cheapies had not hit the market yet, HF, Griz, Etc.

Just an observation from the sales, repair in and out of warrenty desk. Time has changed companies and their tools so your mileage may very, AND I have typed to MUCH.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//tongue.gifNO FLAMES INTENDED, I REPEAT, NO FLAMES INTENDED http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//tongue.gif

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."