PDA

View Full Version : OT- Duck Gumbo

BillH
01-02-2006, 07:15 PM
I shot it, plucked it, cleaned it, cooked it. Ahh Duck Gumbo with smoked sausage. Cooked ALL day in the crock pot, still cooking actually.
http://home.comcast.net/~billh308/DuckGumbo.jpg
I wish I could post the lovely smell it has.
Beats the crap out of the crap you buy at a grocery store. No hormones, very lean, and tastier. Last week of Duck season here, going to go out and get some more.

CCWKen
01-02-2006, 09:52 PM
The last duck I had tasted a little on the sweet side of chicken. Not bad but us Southerners prefer Rattlesnake or Jack Rabbit--No restrictions on hunting season. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Hey, by the way--Did you get your rods? If it's anything like the mail service here during the holidays, you should get in a couple of days.

Yankee1
01-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi Bill,
Looks great! I know how it tastes, been married to a Texan that cooks Cajun style for fifty years.
Chuck

Dawai
01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
yeah, where's the cornbread? need a recipe?

Looks good..

Fasttrack
01-02-2006, 10:10 PM
I just came down with a little stomach bug, but even so, man that looks good. I wish i had a bowl of it here...

BillH
01-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Ken, I didnt check the mail today, been cooking, and playing with 3d studio max and photoshop. Tommorrow I will definetly check the mail, and go get my 2006 license. Thanks for sending those rods out. Where I live is in suburbia, as soon as I can I am going to move out to the country even if it means losing the cable modem.(Hmm, I better think about that one)

Yankee, I had a small bowl of it, tasted kind of bland, 1 hour ago I added a whole bunch of spices and it tastes much better now. Would love to know the preferred spices for a good gumbo.

Dave, sure, I love recipes, I've only been on my own now since say end of August, I really dont know too much about cooking. I only request that the recipes be all healthy. I do not use butter or salt for anything. Probably why I lost over 60 lbs since end of august. If you have any recipes for duck or Goose, I would love those as well.

FastTrack, it was tons of work but seams worth it. I ate a steel bb too, gotta be more careful or I will chip a tooth.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 01-02-2006).]

Dawai
01-02-2006, 10:25 PM
yeah, cornbread has a lot of oil in it...

1 egg
2 cups self rising corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cooking oil
buttermilk or milk till thick batter is formed.

scorch lightly oiled iron skillet in oven while heating to 435 degrees..

pour batter into hot skillet, place in oven and cook till browned and knife comes out dry.. Take a fork and go around skillet to make it turn loose, lay big plate on it, invert skillet and it should drop out..

I sometimes put jalepenos and corn in it to give it texture, used to put cracklins in, then I figured out what they were.. NOPE.. not this old boy.. do that before making a batter or it will be too wet..

Al Messer
01-02-2006, 10:36 PM
One Egg! one EGG?! David, me laddie, where on Earth did ye learn to make Cornbread? Certainly not in my part of Southern Appalacia! LOL!

Dawai
01-02-2006, 10:56 PM
whilst we are at it?

biscuits:

2 cups self rising flour,
two round t-spoons crisco
cut that up into the flour w/fork..
1/2 tspoon baking powder
dash salt
milk till you got a thick dough.

flour rolling spot (I use wax paper for cleanup)
smash them out, cut them w/cup or cutter
lay them in a pan on the stove to rise while the oven heats up..
cook till the tops are brown..

Sorry: Youngin... You flour your fingers so the dough does not stick as you manipulate them into biscuits..

I learned how to make biscuits just so I could teach my daughter.. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Jessiebiscuits1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Jessiebiscuits3.jpg

[This message has been edited by David E Cofer (edited 01-02-2006).]

Yankee1
01-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi Bill,
My wife uses "File" Pronounced "Fee Lay" and a shot or two of Tobasco. The File goes
in last just before serving. The File is dried and ground Sassafras leaf.
Sure tastes good.
Chuck

Evan
01-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Yumm. A little while ago we had bison roast done in the crock pot. It was semi wild as a bunch had escaped some time ago way up north and a friend of ours who is a hunting guide had permission to find and take one. That was one of the best roasts I have had in a long time, even better than the moose roast we had a few weeks ago.

CCWKen
01-02-2006, 11:20 PM
One range egg is all ya need in these parts. The yoke is so orange, I can't even make a white cake. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

You must be thinkin' of them mass produced store eggs. All pale yellow and runny white. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Oh Evan, That reminds me--We had Feral right before Christmas. Dandy tasting pig!

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 01-02-2006).]

Dawai
01-02-2006, 11:48 PM
I made gumbo about a year back.. Carrol loved it.. then stopped,, said.. I taste fish, we didn't have any fish..

I had put sardines in spring water into the mix.. It was good.. they cooked to nothing and just left the flavor..

My cooking privilidges were revoked for a long time.. ha ha..

wierdscience
01-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Good Gumbo

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup olive oil or vegatable oil
1 yellow onion,medium
4 cloves garlic
3-4 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1/8 cup Tobasco or similar

Veggies
1 16oz can of quatered tomatos
1 8 ox can of whole kernal corn(Vietnamese lady showed me that)
1 10-12 oz bag of okra(Yankees consult encycolpedia)

Meats,
Smoked,beef,pork,or deer sausage about 1-1/2lbs,sliced thin
Chicken,duck,rabbit,your choice,about 1-1/2lbs sliced in strips(boneless)

Seafood
Shrimp,bout 2 pounds of 10-12 count(peeled of course)
Fish,any good white fish,trout for example,but only about a 1/2 lb
Oysters,in season,15-20 left whole
Crab meat(if well cleaned of shells)

First in a skillet pour in 3/4cup of the oil bring to sizzle add flour and keep stirring the mix constantly(do not stop)keep stirring until you see the flour brown.The point is to fry the flour not burn it.Keep going until it is dark brown nearly black.At this point quickly remove from heat and add 3-4 cups water to stop the cooking action.Dump it in quick or you will have slop and have to start over.

In a second pan,cast iron or magnelite pot,use the remainder of the oil to brown the garlic and onion just to light carmelization then add the browned flour and water mix.This is your base or reux.

Bring that to a boil and add the veggies and spices.

If your making sausage,or chicken gumbo add the meat next then just let it cook till the meat is falling apart and the veggies are tender.

If your making seafood gumbo,take all the seafood,rinse it off with cold water,pick through the oysters and look for pearls,shells etc.Put it in a bowl and fill to cover with milk,yep that's right milk.It takes away the bulk of the fishy taste of the seafood,Let it sit in the milk for a couple hours then rinse with water and pour the milk down the drain.
Wait until everything else in the gumbo is nearly cooked then add the oysters,then the fish,then the shrimp.Reason is you want the seafood to cook,but not over cook.

As a rule,once the seafood is added,bring the pot back to a boil and then cook about 10-15 more minutes.That will leave the seafood soft,but well done.

Next cook up some rice,if you can't cook rice,forget cooking gumbo.

If you can read the newspaper through the reux it ain't right,but it will do.

With all that said when I make a pot of gumbo I add everything,meat,seafood the works,I also end up in a 3 gallon stock pot.I keeps for 3-4 days in the fridge,longer I freeze it.

If the amount of Tobasco doesn't sound like it's enough,that's because I prefer to let my guests add thier own at the dinner table.Same thing with the File.Real Cajun or Creole food isn't supposed to be overwhelmingly hot,if it is,you can't taste anything else.

Dawai
01-03-2006, 01:43 AM
My Jambalaya last week? Damn was it good too.

can cream of chicken soup.
Smoked sausage, two links
Two cans stewed tomatoes w/garlic
can tomato paste
large can spagetti sauce
add water to make it juicy.
Chicken breasts three, pan fried brown
corn if you so incline,
shrimp added last (lil buggers dissapear)
Cajun seasoning to taste *not too hot plz.. Lawrys seasoning salt.. about tablespoon
Salt, about 1/3 teaspoon

I use a crock pot. Simple to prepare, chicken is only thing that needs cooking real good, sausage is pre-cooked. I slice it long like bologna spears. The smoked sausage really adds the flavor if you buy some good stuff.

I do rice, we have a steamer, I don't eat it if I make cornbread thou.

AND I STILL CAN'T SLEEP..

Al Messer
01-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Now, Gentlemen, as my sainted Mom wil tell you (she'll be 93 on Saturday) Eggs go in Cake, not in Cornbread. If you want Yellow Cornbread, you use Yellow Corn Meal.

CCWKEN:

Does it cost an arm and a leg for an out-of-state hunter to hunt feral pigs in your State?

Dawai
01-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Sorry, HIjacked for a second..

Al:

Here, or in southern Georgia, you only have to be in the woods, the hogs run at you. I was even charged by a 35-40 pound black porker w/hair standing straight up (his and mine), squealing as he.she ran at me. They ain't scared of crap. I was tangled in a saw briar and scratched the $2500 rifle trying to shoot from the hip. I looked like I had been in a knife fight.

As the large ones bear down on you they pop thier tusks - jaws in anticipation of clamping down on something tasty.

I normally hunted with a pistol, a 44 Super blackhawk. Everything that gun has shot has laid down and played nice. A smarter man would be off the ground. I never had to run.

THAT, is as big of a thrill as splitting lanes at 100mph on a straight piped harley.

They say some of our ancestors stripped naked, hunted them with spears in a old fashioned hunt. I don't think my heart could stand it.

The meat? It was so adrenalin riddled it stunk to high heaven as it cooked. Even a dog turns its nose up at it. Perhaps if you killed them before they got mad? A lot depends on thier diet, acorns make bitter meat.

I never hunted grizzly bears, not sure I could stand it.

jkilroy
01-03-2006, 10:48 AM
FISH? There ain't no stinking fish in Gumbo. Blue crab, oysters, shrimp, NO FISH. That duck gumbo looks good expcept'n I can't see the OKRA! This is GUMBO not soup! How in the hell do you have Gumbo without Okra? "Gumbo" is derived from the Portuguese word 'quingombo' which itself is a derivation of the word 'quillobo', native name for Okra in the Congo and Angola area of Africa.

Also, you MUST start any 'Gumbo' with a rue, and a good Gumbo should look *dark* reddish brown NOT green. Here is a link to a good looking seafood gumbo. The coloration is about right, maybe a tad too much red.

http://www.gumboshop.com/recipes/seafood_okra_gumbo/recipes_seafoodokragumbo.html

Now before anyone ties it in a knot, I was born in New Orleans and raised in south Louisiana by a Cajun mom who can cook like you wouldn't believe. I know Gumbo. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif It is also a miracle and proof that God exists that I don't weigh 500 lbs.

BillH
01-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Making a rue, thats something I never done before last night, still need practice doing it. Okra, I never had Okra as my mom always thought it was disgusting and never used it growing up. Maybe cause im also a yankee. I used corn starch instead of flour for the rew and definetly I didnt make it thick enough.

Rustybolt
01-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Saute some mushrooms and shallots or onions in a pan, set them aside. breast and skin a mallard. Slice the breasts in half. fry them till they're medium rare.Add salt and pepper and the mushrooms and onions and serve. Bettern roast beef. Especially if ya make em in your blind.
Duck hunting can easily be a way of life. After Steelhead season and before trout season, that is.

CCWKen
01-03-2006, 02:42 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Messer:
Now, Gentlemen, as my sainted Mom wil tell you (she'll be 93 on Saturday) Eggs go in Cake, not in Cornbread. If you want Yellow Cornbread, you use Yellow Corn Meal.

CCWKEN:

Does it cost an arm and a leg for an out-of-state hunter to hunt feral pigs in your State?</font>

I don't know. I haven't had a hunting license since I was 14. This hog was on a friend's property I was helping clear. I've found tracks on my property but no hogs. Lots of animals cross this property headed toward the thicket or creeks. When you have a piece of land out here in the sticks, hunting season is ALWAYS. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I take that last statement back! We don't hunt, we protect our livestock. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I always pack a sidearm when working down in front or on the far fence lines. Too many rattlers, coyotes and wild dogs not to. Last summer, I found some BIG cat tracks. There's areas of the property I wouldn't go to at night or alone. There's things out here that will eat you, if you give 'em a chance. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

Dawai
01-03-2006, 02:47 PM
I always thought it was "what you had" to put into the gumbo.. Kinda like a hobo 55 gallon soup.

Evan
01-03-2006, 03:20 PM
"There's things out here that will eat you, if you give 'em a chance."

Yep, we have bears and cougar around here. A neighbour was climbing up into her hay loft and just stuck her head up through the floor when she heard and felt something SWISH through her hair. She turned her head around and was looking a cougar in the eye. He had just swatted at her head and missed. She jumped off the ladder and ran for the house. Made it too.

I found his tracks a few days later on my place well away from the house. Big one. There are lots of cougar stories from around this province including one old guy who was attacked by one and managed to kill it with his buck knife. It chewed him pretty good. Another woman died saving her two kids by basically feeding herself to the cat while they got away. She was went after it with a stick to distract it.

A cut down 12 guage with solid slugs is good.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 01-03-2006).]

SHOPA$$
01-03-2006, 03:38 PM
You guys are making me cry just left 'Le Sud De La Louisiane' crossed back north of the Mason-Dixon line. Bonfires and fireworks, feasting and drinking with family, now thats Christmas. SHOPA$$ is not a COONA$$, SWMBO is. Bones don't float, yea cher.

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

wierdscience
01-04-2006, 12:26 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkilroy:
FISH? There ain't no stinking fish in Gumbo.

Now before anyone ties it in a knot, I was born in New Orleans and raised in south Louisiana by a Cajun mom who can cook like you wouldn't believe. I know Gumbo. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif It is also a miracle and proof that God exists that I don't weigh 500 lbs.</font>

There is at my house http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif You don't know what you been missin.

South Louisiana?Ever here of Edgard?Bossier City?Over on the Best Bank http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

BillH
01-04-2006, 12:35 AM
I gave some of my gumbo to my friend and photo teacher, they both loved it. I had some for dinner, I loved it. I'll call it a success. Next time I will try okra.

Norman Warfield
01-04-2006, 04:11 AM
Jambalaya

2 pounds Italian sausage link, cook till brown, slice

2 cups celery , sliced

2 cups onion, chopped

2 cups green pepper, chopped

2 cups red bell pepper, chopped

4 teaspoons garlic fresh, minced

2 cups long-grain rice

4 cups chicken breast, cooked & cubed

4 cups water

64 ounces Chi-Chi's salsa

4 teaspoons paprika

1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper

1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

2 bay leaf

2 pounds shrimp, shelled & deveined

1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

1. In a dutch oven cook sausage till brown and cooked through.

remove from pan, cool then cut into slices

2. in same pan add celery, onion, peppers and garlic. Cook vegetables till tender

3. Add remaining ingredients except shrimp and cilantro

.4. Cover, cook on low for 20 minutes or until rice is tender

5. Add shrimp and cilantro, cook till shrimp turns pink.

6. Remove bay leaf, Serve

------------------
Norm'
If it's not broken, why do I keep trying to fix it....

Yankee1
01-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Hello All,
I used to hunt deer in the Big Thicket and used to go through Bossier City on my way to dive in the Gar Rodeo at Lake Bistineau. My friends used to land their airplanes on the roads over near Lake Bistineau and taxi over beside a gas station
there and leave them there until the weekend was over, then fly back down to Beaumont Texas. Yes I know where Bossier City is.
Chuck

CCWKen
01-04-2006, 07:22 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Here, or in southern Georgia, you only have to be in the woods, the hogs run at you. I was even charged by a 35-40 pound black porker.</font>

I had to read that again. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif LOL A big burly guy like you afraid of a 40 pound pig? Heck, we got wild turkey that big. Wait till mama or popa comes thunderin' through the brush. You can feel the ground shaking but can't tell from which way it's coming. Believe me, it's coming! ... With nasty razor teeth too. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

Al Messer, I found this for ya.

"PLANNING YOUR HUNT: Wild hogs are not considered game animals in Texas and can be hunted year-around. A hunting license is required. The cost for non-resident 5 day special hunting license is $45. For out of state hunters that plan several hog hunting trips to Texas within the same year, the $125.00 one-year special hunting license might be a better deal. License may be purchased over the phone by calling 1-800-895-4248. For more information about hunting in Texas, check out the Texas Parks and Wildlife website: www.tpwd.state.tx.us (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us) ."

Most of the hunt leases around here charge anywhere from $25 to $150 per gun/day depending on services. Some provide quarters and meals. Hogs 170lbs and up cost an additional $50 and $100 for the second. This is up to the lease owner. It depends on hog population. I haven't heard of any "premiums" on the big hogs around here. The largest I've seen weighed in at close to 280lbs. and measured 6'6" nose-to-hoof on a hook. If you get a pack of these stirred up, you better be a good shot. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Here's an example:
http://www.texas-sbowhunting.com/Will%20(Dave%20Redded).jpg

Dawai
01-04-2006, 07:28 PM
CCW: I was making a point that even the little ones are not afraid.

My dog would have ate that one.

The one I killed that day was a striped boar, about 350lb after dressing. It collapsed a rig I had made to clean deer. A 2x2 tube w 2 chains to wrap around a tree and lift..

biggest surprise I have saw in this country in the way of game are them damn colorado rabbits.. big..

that, and the elk that jumped out in front of my harley in Montana.. Looked like a volkswagon on legs..

Al Messer
01-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Many thanks, Ken. I'll have to put a trip like that on the back burner for the present.

uncrichie
01-05-2006, 07:44 PM
BillH, how did you get the electric for the crockpot all the way out to the duck blind? As you well know that meal should be eaten in the blind at around 10am with the pups staring at ya! Good job, uncrichie...

BillH
01-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Never tried eating the duck at the site, man that would be some fresh meat. We actually just stand under a tree and dont have any dogs, my friend goes into the river with a pole to get the ducks out. Im going to make an R/C boat to retrieve the ducks but as it stands, the 7th is the last day of duck season til October http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif Think im going out one last time.

madman
01-05-2006, 11:03 PM
David id like to go hog hunting with you some day. I would just bring my old shotgun Audrey bought me years ago to shoot bears and moose. Its a 3 and a half inch chamber slug gun but im comfortable with the 3 inch magnumn slugs. Oughta do a pig in right quick. Remember the Motto of the North. No Brain No Pain. Madman( PS ive quit drinkin for good so i oughta be safe around loaded weapons.)