PDA

View Full Version : Extend a Taig lathe

Rusty Wrench
01-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Greetings from Toano Va. I am in the process of adding a second section of lathe bed to my Taig. The whole project is mounted on a piece of 80/20 aluminum; metric 50mmx100xxx760mm (2x4x30"). The motor frame and legs are of aluminum c-channel. There are 6 adjustable feet to level the machine. I am currently fitting the two bed section together, The fit for the tailstock was easy. The interesting part is adding the rack gear for the carriage and making the two sections mate so closely that the carriage moves effortlessly along the length of the bed. No real problems so far, just can't rush the process. If anyone has succeded in this type of work I would like to hear from you. Oh, by the way, the t-slots in the 80/20 will be covered with their neat cover strips.

topct
01-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't know if you have seen this site or not,
http://www.cartertools.com/
But there is a couple of people that have extended there Taig lathes. And much more.

I have had one of them for 18 years. It's the neatest little "Erector Set".

I have a milling machine that I was able to build using thier lathe parts.

------------------
Gene

Rusty Wrench
01-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Greetings Topct Thanks for the heads-up. I bought my Taig 2018 mill from Nick Carter. I have e-mailed the operators on his site that have extended their lathes and downloaded the pictures. As far as I can tell they have not included the carriage drive. I am close on the alignment as of last night. When I get it down solid, I will post it. The Army Engineer motto is "Essayons"; "Let us try". I guess when I get to that point, I will have to look at installing a "Frog" drive on the carriage so I can thread. Great hobby isn't it?

------------------
Russ Hobgood

topct
01-05-2006, 06:54 AM
The Frog is not available. The owner is quitting and looking for a buyer. His web page just has a note on it. He might still have one.

I'm looking at a software alternative. Maybe Turbo CNC?

------------------
Gene

Rusty Wrench
01-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks, back to the TurboCad board.

------------------
Russ Hobgood

Rusty Wrench
01-10-2006, 08:30 AM
I have the rack gear matched, the beds have been fitted and just need to be lapped to complete the work. Will advise on the final outcome.

------------------
Russ Hobgood

Nick Carter
01-10-2006, 03:17 PM
I hope you have been taking pictures and notes along the way for my pages!

How are you dealing with the gap between the bed ends - sometimes the end isn't that square...

Rusty Wrench
01-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Greetings Nick. I worked the ends down as close as I could to get a good fit. The problem I ran into was the minute height variation between the end of one and the beginning of the other. Coated both with red Dykem and worked the problen out very slowly with a mill and then a second cut file. Buffed the surface with a AVOS wheel. As far as a workng surface, 80/20 is a very stable platform. Still working the details, keep you posted.

------------------
Russ Hobgood

Rusty Wrench
01-11-2006, 02:53 PM
There is one part of the lathe bed that is not on the exploded parts screen; the plastic rack gear shield. I e-mailed Taig Tools; it is $5.00 and $5.00 for shipping. This is yet to come, it appears to give the pinion gear some backing and will improve the appearance of the project. I cut the ends as I mentioned previously, filed them a nd fitted the beds together as close as they would go. Still have a small gap which I will fill with Lab-Metal and lap this down to smooth the transition. Yes, Nick, I will send pictures as soon as I stop screwing up with the camara. I added a small puck light oner the head for direct light on the work area, saw that in "Home Shop Machinist" last issue. Added the 2" range dial indicators as seen on Nick Carter's web site. Digital would really be cool. If you try this addition, take your time. It took me a couple of weeks just speculating and laying out the work before I started cutting the ends off of the beds. Changed me distance between centers to at least 22 inches.

------------------
Russ Hobgood