PDA

View Full Version : New Member

GunnySnow
11-23-2002, 09:51 PM
Hello all,

My name is Mike and I am a new Member. I am als the proud new poppa of small(50"x18"x37") mill/lathe combination machine. The machine is made by Chizhou Household Machine Tool Co. LTD (China of course). Model #HQ500 It was purchased up here in Ontario Canada, (Whitby area) on Wednesday. I lugged it home and am in the process of cleaning it and sticking it all back together. I also purchased a 6" Rotary Table, and a Spin Indexer and all necessary tooling to get started. I have many questions, but will only ask a few now. First if all this machine's dials are all in metric, and I was wondering if there is a semi easy way to convert the machine over to SAE, or should I just learn the metric system?
would I have to change the leadscrews and table cross travel screws as well as the dials or could I just get new dials machined in SAE for me?
The machine comes equiped with a powerfeed table, has two 3/4 hp motors.
It is my first machine so please dont be to hard on me http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
Any setup tips that I should do while it is apart?
can anyone recomend a good but fairly cheap lubrication system?

Thanks to all in advance

Mike

RPease
11-24-2002, 07:57 AM
Learn metric or keep a calculator handy. It's not that hard and it wil probably be cheaper than trying to convert a machine over. IMHO

Regards,
Rodger

RPease
11-24-2002, 07:59 AM
GunnySnow,

Forgot to mention.......Welcome to the WWOM (Wonderful World of Machining).

Regards.........

SGW
11-24-2002, 08:13 AM
Like RPease says...learn metric, keep a calculator handy. Not a big deal. You'd need to do as you suggest: change the leadscrews. If you just changed the dials, the graduations wouldn't come out even.

You could, at some point, get yourself a DRO (digital readout) setup with inch/metric conversion and "convert" to English measurement that way, but a good DRO is expensive. Even a not-so-good DRO is expensive.

By "lubrication system" are you thinking of mist or flood coolant or something of that sort? If so, don't bother for now. Get yourself some cutting oil and a small acid brush (so-called) and just slather it on as you're going. Works fine. If you're thinking of machine lubrication...just a pump oilcan. One-shot lubrication and all that is unnecessary.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 11-24-2002).]

chip's
11-24-2002, 11:45 AM
Gunny,
Welcome to the zoo. I hope the machine works out well for you.

docsteve66
11-24-2002, 01:28 PM
DRO is probaly the final solution- Friend punches the DRO button to convert his inch mike readings into metric- faster than a calculator. A good interim solution is to mount dial indicator (fixed or moveable) and measure with it. Two inch travels DI are cheap and mine is accurate and repeatable to .0005. Bought it from enco maybe 10 dollars and it works as well as my Starett or Mit.....yo, how ever you spell that japanese name. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
Steve

Alistair Hosie
11-24-2002, 02:01 PM
Welcome gunnysnow
I don't mean to be controvercial but I have found metric to be much easier when you give it a try we were brought up on imperial and changed to the metric system its realy much better in my opinion oops thrud will be after mah bones wih a sock full oh cold porridge .Alistair

jfsmith
11-24-2002, 03:24 PM
Well, to the group. I am Originally called Waterloo home. Now I live in Ohio ( long story there)

Learn what makes your machine go,running and
hope you are snowed in for a week this winter, so you can play with your toy.

Jerry

Herb W
11-24-2002, 04:16 PM
Hi Mike
Nothing wrong with the metric system, but... most of the plans, drawings, books, etc that we use are done in inches. Can all be converted of course, if you have the patience!

BTW did I hear you say something about having new dials -machined for you-? No no no Mike, I'm sure you meant to say should -I- machine some new dials for it http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif With lathe, milling attach. and rotary table, you have the means to do so...not necessarily the best solution as you would end up with one "off" division, but it could be made to work.

The other guys are giving you good suggestions...DRO, indicators...that way, you can work readily in either system of measure.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Herb W (edited 11-24-2002).]

docsteve66
11-24-2002, 05:10 PM
Gunny snow? is there a story behind your name?
Steve

GunnySnow
11-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Hello again

Thanks for all the info everyone, I think I will just have to practice practice and practice some more with this Metric system stuff.

I am sure it will work out in the end

As for the name GunnySnow

Ex-Marine

Thanks again for all the help

Gunny

Al Messer
11-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Semper fi!!

GunnySnow
11-24-2002, 09:14 PM
HOOO RA!!

Gunny

RPease
11-24-2002, 09:15 PM
I didn't think that you guys referred to yourselves as "Ex-Marines". I always thought that it was "Prior Marine". At least that's what my uncle Gunnery Sgt. Bowen always said.

Regards.........Rodger

Thrud
11-24-2002, 10:04 PM
GunnySnow
Welcome to the zoo. I am the resident 400 lb. Gorilla.

A DRO would be a good investment as it makes life a whole lot simpler. That being said Metric is far easier to use if you ignore the imperial (inch) system altogether. My advice is to convert any drawings (1 inch = 25.4mm exactly) to metric and life will be good.

If you have never run machine tools before I suggest that you do look for instruction from a school, trade school, or University so you can learn the basics and avoid major injury to yourself and the machine tools. SAFETY FIRST! And by all means ask us for help if you are stumped or unsure of the accepted methods of doing things.

Are you aware of conventional and climb milling? If you are not it is important that you always feed the work against the cutter rotation (conventional milling).

Climb milling should only be used if you have Ball Screws - it can break tools (if you are used to woodworking this is also known as the "hungry way" in routing as the tool sucks the work into the bit - a real BAD thing). This method gives the best finish and is almost always used on professional CNC machines, but it should not be used if you have conventional leadscrews (too much slop, not enough control).

Have fun, be safe.
Dave

docsteve66
11-25-2002, 07:49 AM
RPease: Its funny thing about ex-marines or Marines. I think we had/have a complex- that we fail to measure up to the Corps standards. Often a Marine will say "I am in the marine corps",rather than saying "I am a MOORINE". To claim to be a Marine (with capital M) is bragging. To be A Sgt Of Marines is the finest title a man could wish for. Made Platoon Sgt (Staff) twice in six years total (from PFC) myself.
I figgurred the "Gunny" was your brag and list of all the qualifications a man requires http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif. Welcome

Steve

Tibertus
11-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Welcome, again I remind you the most important tool you need in this hobby (or really any other) is a willing spouse. Everything else is downhill. Mind if I quote SGT Mike (name of the cartoon sargent) from Letherneck magazine? "There is two types of Marines, Ex-Marines, and them that wishes they was ex-Marines".
Best of luck with the new machine.

docsteve66
11-25-2002, 02:17 PM
Leatherneck says " only two good duty places in the whole Corps- Last one you were at and the next one you want to get"

jfsmith
11-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Marines are never ex or otherwise, they are loan to world. Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Drink one for Chesty!

Jerry

docsteve66
11-25-2002, 11:24 PM
Here's to chesty puller. I served his regiment when he commanded a regimant as a col in Korea. Little SOB saw that we wiremen had a drink of coffee when we got wire to him (he was in reserve and we laided wire left to right, front to rear) so as the reserve he was in the rear -and hated it http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif. Saw him back in states and he still remembered the long walk in the dark and snow that brought him a wire line to his switchboard tent. Old puller wanted to know what we saw, what we thought, a million questions. and I was just a PFC. the troops loved chesty.

ShavingMaker
11-26-2002, 01:01 PM
For quick and easy metric conversion try tis program "Convert" downloaded free from:
www.joshmadison.com/software/convert (http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert)