PDA

View Full Version : I have a very cunning plan.........

Rustybolt
11-27-2002, 11:46 AM
I don't like having to redial in the table for my milldrill every time I raise or lower the head. I was thinkin that I could replace the round column with a square one made of heavey wall square tube. Its a gear head from HF and the head can be rotated on the trunion so the head is essentially a seperate peice. I thought I'd add a dovetail to the column and modify the trunion to fit.

Al Messer
11-27-2002, 12:03 PM
Don't know why it won't work just fine. I knew a man once that took a surplus Bridgeport head and a table with X & Y feeds and made his own mill. He was very good at what he did.

jcurrell
11-27-2002, 12:10 PM
HI
Most people put a key on the coulm if it is gibbed snug it would be easier.

------------------

Thrud
11-27-2002, 12:47 PM
Rustybolt:
Install a triangular key the length of the column. It is easier than what you are suggesting. Between a triangular key and a square one the triangular one is easiest. One of the Village Press books had a reprint of a milling column for a lathe (Emco) for this very reason. Great article BTW.

Sorry I can't recall the book (Projects in Metal #_?) - do an article search on the BBS or call Neil's crew.

SGW
11-27-2002, 01:18 PM
I don't think square tubing would be anywhere near accurate enough, unless you could somehow get it ground square/parallel "to fine limits," as they say.
But adding a key to the round column shouldn't bee too impossible. I think one of Guy Lautard's MBR's has a discussion of a triangular key on a milling column.