X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alistair Hosie
    • Aug 2002

Hydraulic home made press??

Anyone ever made a hydraulic home made bench press for bearings etc and are there any plans floating about.I can buy a nice bottle jack ten tons or so quite cheaply so any advice would be helpful also I have a trolley jack sitting here doing nothing as I am now beyong car repairs can that be hacked down for use ?Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease
  • Dawai
    • Dec 2005

This one was home made, Ibeam wrapped around, two linear slides holding ram in alignment, 5hp pump, electric solonoids.

Do you remember seeing he HSM article about a year or so back?

If you have Harbor freight, they have one that goes on sale for $150 at times, as good of a small one as you can get. It will press out the case on a harley in a minute.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by David E Cofer:
      If you have Harbor freight,</font>
      lucky bastard....

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
        • Aug 2002

That's a nice big one Dave.I only need a little, either bench one preferrably or a floorstanding one is that air driven unit or fluid. alistair It's 5.20am here cant sleep it's blowing a storm outside force 10.

Comment

• torker
          • Dec 2003

Alistair...I can take pics of mine if you need. I made it out of scrap and a 15 ton jack. Used Chevy hood springs for return. Been using it for 10 years now. Don't know what I'd do without it!
          Russ
          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
            • Aug 2002

That would be great torker I am sure I saw plans somewhere on the net.Alistair

Comment

• Buckshot
              • Jan 2004

........Alistair, I made one several years ago. I scribbled a design out then went to the metal dealer and bought the steel channel and had them make the 5 cuts to my lengths. My dad had a 225 Amp Lincoln (doesn't everyone?) and I welded it up. A couple tabs welded on the top and on the ram plate hold the springs to retract it. It just holds a 12 ton bottle jack.

The hardest part was drilling the holes to take the pins for adjusting the table up and down. It's about 3 times the weight of any other bench type hydraulic press I've ever seen, ha! Those 'consumer' types are all sheet metal compared to mine.

Rick
              Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

Comment

• Dawai
                • Dec 2005

I had a square one, it was made of 4" channel. I put a hydraulic jack in it to press out universal joints in cars. Built a 3" brake to go in it. (bending copper bus)

It don't take a lot if the side to side wobble don't hurt anything. Making one exact is a art.
                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

• gkman11
                  • Mar 2004

Alistair,
                  Happy to oblige. I was inspired by the plan for the hugh one in Home Shop Machininst about a year ago and used what I had around. I works good, but one mistake I made was using square tube for the vertical columns. It should have pairs of flat bar or angle or chanel with space between for the movable beam and the workpiece (if it is long). If you know any Hanlan's over there in the old country tell them we made it OK.

[This message has been edited by gkman11 (edited 01-13-2006).]

Comment

• PTSideshow
                    • Nov 2005

30/50 ton plans page 20 may/june 2004 HSM

------------------
                    Glen
                    Been there, probally broke it doing that
                    Glen
                    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

• cam m
                      • Mar 2004

Alistar
                      The link shows a great set of plans for a bottle jack press complete with pictures of the press and some neat tooling.
                      Stagesmith metal fabrication by Ernie Leimkuhler, Renton, Washington

Cam

Comment

• Too_Many_Tools

"Alistar
                        The link shows a great set of plans for a bottle jack press complete with pictures of the press and some neat tooling.
                        Stagesmith metal fabrication by Ernie Leimkuhler, Renton, Washington

Cam"

Nicely done setup...does anyone else have pictures of presses that they could post?

TMT

Comment

• pistonskirt
                          • Jun 2004

Alistair

Here is one I made a few years ago which is very compact & utilises a 12 ton bottle jack, width between the uprights is "15 with 17" max beneath the ram. A feature that proves very useful is that the ram slides sideways by 3" each way.
                          If you would like more detail or dimensions I would be happy to oblige.

regards

Brian

Comment

• Ries
                            • Sep 2004

If you want a really small one, copy this jewelers texturing press- its tiny.

Comment

• PTSideshow
                              • Nov 2005

check this site out and the other post on a small press with threaded rod supports.
                              The primary focus of our WebSite is HYDRAULIC JACKS and related equipment - The different types, uses and capacities, along with their general history, manufacturers and tips on buying and care of.

Norco offers a broad selection of high-quality American made and imported professional shop equipment covered by a limited lifetime warranty.

------------------
                              Glen
                              Been there, probally broke it doing that
                              Glen
                              Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                              I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Working...
                              X