PDA

View Full Version : OT: Moving sometime in the near future....

halac
01-02-2006, 04:08 PM
I tried to search for a past posting but couldn't find it about whether or not to move your shop equipment.

We just came back back from a quick there and back to Tullahoma, TN. If everything goes well we should be closing on a home with a large workshop out back sometime in March. Really nice home; 2.5 bedroom, 2 bath, about 1650 sq. Ft. Shoe is huge! 30 x 40 Ft and has two 14 x 14' sliding doors on opposite sides. Floor is 6", 4000 psi concrete. Has its own bath room and is wired for 220 V, 100 amp service.

Now comes the task of moving all my stuff. Hopefully a friend of mine with a large triple axle trailer will be able to help. Will probably make the move in several trips.

[This message has been edited by halac (edited 01-22-2006).]

BillH
01-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Well do you want new tools? Do you want to look for good used machines again? Do you want the potential for new headaches? Disasters? If you love your tools, keep em.

halac
01-02-2006, 06:42 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
Well do you want new tools? Do you want to look for good used machines again? Do you want the potential for new headaches? Disasters? If you love your tools, keep em. </font>

I plan on keeping as much as I can, including stock, parts, etc. Will probably have to make several trips to get things moved.

------------------
No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C. , www.teampyramid.com (http://www.teampyramid.com)

halac
01-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Getting closer to the closing on this new place of ours.

I've been thinking about the workshop. The interior of the shop has a roof peak about two and half stories. I was thinking of building an enclosed area within the shop that would be insulated so I can control the environment.

How high should one make the ceilings? I know in most homes 8' is standard. Or should make them higher. Inquiring mind wants to know.

I would also like to make this structure within a structure strong enough to be able to store some stuff on top of it.

------------------
No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C. , www.teampyramid.com (http://www.teampyramid.com)

[This message has been edited by halac (edited 01-22-2006).]

Dawai
01-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey I worked up in Tullahoma Tn, you are about a hour away. Watch out for deer up there. They jump in front of motorcycles and Mustang cars.

I did know this nice redhead there.. She loved harleys and guys with beards.

I'm married now and must format that hard drive..

greywynd
01-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Do some looking around for warehouse racking, maybe it can be configured like a mezzanine for storage, but if you need to change it you can. Even if you 'block off' the upper part with the racking, then use a tarp or curtain to limit the air flow into the upper area. Even without insulating it properly, at least the majority of the heat (or AC) will be in the smaller volume that you are using.

Dawai
01-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Warehouse racking can be had locally here for pennies on the pound.

Lots of carpet mills that go out of business have the buildings cleared.

The t-slot metal is expensive if you purchase it by the piece.

I found it humorous, a black gang from South Carolina was the best at putting it up, They'd stand it up, hold it up, two would Shimmie-climb it while the group was holding it then hang on with one hand and "latch" in the cross t-bars with the other about fifteen feet up. Once they had the 4 corners anchored it would hold itself up.

I was stout as a mule then, I arm wrestled the guy who did the climbing and he liked to have broke my arm. The rest were really laughing at me till I offered to arm wrestle them too, most didn't want to.

I'd say minimum of 8 feet on the ceiling. My bridgeport has about a foot over the head. If you plan on pulling car engines and stuff you need more. 8 feet and a Ibeam is not high enough.

Wirecutter
01-23-2006, 11:17 AM
My basement shop has 9' ceilings and I was surprized to find that I need and use it.

I'm with David on needing the height for pulling and lifting big stuff. I used a pallet jack to move and position my Bridgeport, and it would have been uncomfortable under an 8' ceiling. I also got some shelving racks from Home Depot. They're great for storage and organization, but they stand about 7' tall. The top shelf would be a lot less useful under the typical 7.5-8' basement ceiling.