PDA

View Full Version : Air over hydraulic jack for H press?

Wayne02
01-26-2006, 03:21 PM
The latest horrible freight flyer has this jack on sale for 69.99, less the 10% email coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search

My H press currently has a regular 20 ton bottle jack, and I was thinking about replacing it with this air unit. Is the air unit that much of an improvement over the standard jack in the H press application?

I realize that for serious pressing one should look at a hydraulic powered/ controlled psi system, but for what I do right now, that would be overkill.

I've never used one of these air over hydraulic jacks before, are they very "jumpy" when the air is applied? I would think they would be.

I can see maybe a benefit in using the air to quickly position the press until it's touching the material. Then using the pump handle for semi-controlled pressure from there on out. Beyond that can you use the air to actually do any pressing? Seems like it would be unpredictable?

Wayne

3 Phase Lightbulb
01-26-2006, 03:23 PM
10% email coupon?! What's the coupon number?!

Wayne02
01-26-2006, 04:56 PM
10% off entire purchase.
ID# 77917028919
Expires 2-1-06

You can sign up to receive these on the HF site. I seem to get about one per week, sometimes two per week. I used a 20% off one a couple weeks ago.

Wayne

ragold
01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
wayne
the jack works great on the press
its not jumpy at all
i have been useing one for about 6 months on mine
ray

Dawai
01-26-2006, 05:54 PM
that 50 ton press.. I got over $600 in steel in the one I was building by HSM plans. That 3/4"x5" Hot rolled really bit me in the wallet.

How do they do it? Thier whole press is little more than I paid for the steel.

snowman
01-26-2006, 06:46 PM
sound like me.

i must have been immaculately drunk the day i bought the steel for mine. bought I beam instead of channel....still trying to figure out why?!?

I just made myself work twice as hard to build a good press with it....

Bought it a month and a half ago, still sitting on the floor in the shop.

CCWKen
01-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Adrian, the coupons are for in-store use only. I get about 6-8 a month. They seem to alternate from $5 off on $35 purchase, 10% off entire purchase and 20% off on a single item.

I just bought a couple of air nailers, compound saw, recipricating saw, cement mixer, grinding disks and a bunch of nails at 10% off on top of the sale price. (Building shop addition)

Eat your heart out. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Duct Taper
01-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Predictability is the key. If you have a part that is tough to move, once it begins to move the air pressure will be hard to control.
The hydraulic pressure however will only push when you push the lever and will only push as far as you want it to.

Dawai
01-26-2006, 10:55 PM
My press is not forgiving.

I was pressing a bearing into a cnc part. The part was aluminum. The board underneath it was oak.

The bearing housing, the oak board exploded. Parts and shrapnel hit the wall, hit my limited edition tool box, hit my cnc. Almost hit me in the ass cause I was running away.

I had robbed the ENCODER power supply for my cnc bender project.. If not I could have set the depth, but not the "feel"

The part broken cost me over a hundred dollars. (was not mine) I bought three more 24volt supplies off ebay for $25.

I am looking for the lil arbor press I got. It would have worked as well I think.