• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abn
    • Feb 2002

Book Review: Machinery Vibration, Balancing

Machinery Vibration, Balancing by Victor Wowk

This book was recommended to me in a previous post regarding balance...I was unable to obtain the other texts mentioned but my local library (Los Angeles County) happened to have the Wowk text.

I'm almost finished with it. It's about a two week read or a four week study (I had to renew it once as I've been studying it and taking notes)

I am a layman and I feel I've easily come away with enough knowledge to build my own balancing fixtures or evaluate surplus machines.

There is some math, it is relatively basic, but does presume a knowledge of basic algebra. A freshman physics course would be a good prerequisite as he does some unit conversions without explaning them...some of the steps would be confusing without prior knowledge of unit conversion and basic physics. The math did not confuse me. (I have had math to college algebra (the first transferable course in the algebra progression), trig, pre-calculus, and I got a "D" in calculus and dropped once. I've also taken the first half (4 semester units) of freshman physics (non-calculus), and freshman level Chem, and bio.

If you neglected the math it is still clear and predominantly language rather than calculation based. I think without some scientific classes or experience under your belt some of the book will be wasted.

All in all a concise (310 9x6 pages) book that took me from ignorance to the point that I feel confident in the subject. Obviously I still lack practical experience, but I have sufficient knowledge to experiment effectively.

As one who has bought texts that were either too basic, too highbrow, or were defacto manuals for a specific machine I was happy to get a good text. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the subject.
  • RPM
    • Aug 2001

Dear abn,
    This is kinda funny, but I live in LA also, and I also need a book on balancing, and i'm betting that LA County doesn't have two of those!
    Could you let me know when you've finished using it, and also do you have any record of that previous post? I started to track down a copy of 'Fundamentals of Balancing' by Wowk, but didn't get very far, so wanted to re-read that post but could find it no longer. Seriously, take your time with the book, it promises to be a long wet winter out here.
    Richard Medway

Comment

• abn
      • Feb 2002

You can reserve it on line via their website with your card number and pin, they will hold it and send you a notice when it's available. I've got some notes to wrap up and I'll return it in about two weeks.

Comment

Working...
      X