PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Plans

Georgeo
06-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Rudy K had a number of plans for sale, before his death. Does anyone know if there is still source for these? I know that HSM has a Rudy book or two, but what about his non-HSM stuff? (His beam engine as a for-instance.)
George

PHiers
06-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Goergeo,

Rudy also wrote for Modeltec Magazine. I think the beam engine was in there as well as others. I have built one or two of these, the man was a genius. I don't have any idea where you could get back issues of Modeltec except at shows likes NAMES and Cabin Fever. I have some but could never part with them. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

------------------
Paul in NE Ohio

Michael C
06-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know what issues of Modeltec that Rudy's plans were in?

Thanks
Michael

PSD KEN
06-12-2005, 08:26 PM
http://modeltecmagazine.com/

Neil
06-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Georgeo:

We are in the process of securing Rudy's plans from his heir so that they may remain available to the hobby machinist. The number of plan sets and the timeframe are to be determined. Since we've had dozens of inquiries so far, we're trying to move the process along quickly.

Neil

Georgeo
06-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Neil,
Great idea, many thanx.
George

laddy
02-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Hey,
Curious about how the accession of the plans is going. Sure would be great! The Popular Mechanics article on Rudy's beam engine (Aug 1969) says for a full set of plans send $3.50.....the article is a teeze. Not enough information to buil it. It would be great to get some of the demensions to finish an old project. Thanks Fred

Neil
02-03-2006, 07:07 AM
We have the working plans for eighteen of Rudy's engines and are scheduling them for release in June. It looks like the best economical approach is to offer three different plan books, each having six engines.

laddy
02-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Hey,
Sign me up for a copy of each. I can't wait. Thanks Fred

Lee Paul
02-03-2006, 12:39 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil:
It looks like the best economical approach is to offer three different plan books, each having six engines.</font>

Economical for "whom"......just joking.... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

laddy
06-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Hey Neil,
Any progress on the book containing the plans Rudy had which were not in his previous books? Hopefully coming soon, can they be ordered yet? Thanks Fred

Neil
06-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Laddy:

The status as of yesterday, Rudy's plan sets have been scanned and are in the process of layout prior to going into the art department. Photos are being collected to include with each plan as a visual aid. Press runs are scheduled for 9/5-6 and a time slot at the bindery has been set for the week of 9/11-15. The dates are reference and subject to being impacted by regular publication press runs.

Bottom line... yep, we're working on them and hope to have them on the market this fall.

Neil

laddy
06-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks Neil,
Great to hear it. The sooner the better. I trust there will be a blurb in the magazine on its release and ordering instructions. Can't wait. Thanks Fred

mmambro
06-09-2006, 06:44 AM
Great idea.....I'll be buying one of each. I never met Rudy, but feel like I know him through his engines and articles.

Mike

jkilroy
06-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I think a more fitting tribute to Rudy would be to get his plans into wide as possible circulation. I think electronic distribution online, individually, for a reasonable fee would accomplish this to a much greater degree than selling books. I would also be willing to bet that selling his plans in an electronic form, individually, for a very cheap price would make more money than selling the books at $40 a shot.

Sure, there are folks that would distribute them illegally, but hey, Xerox machines have been around for a long time as well. Use the same technique UPS and the USPS uses for printing postage online, the end user can print only, no saving a PDF. We have the technology, we can do it.

How about you sell each of his 16 plans online for $5 each. No storage, much less up front, minimal 'electronic' shipping, minimal webmaster handling. So you make something like $4 per plan, which is more like $24 per 6, or more profit than the books! And bet you dollars to dimes that more people would buy them online, impluse buying.

Another plus is, unlike books, there is no need for a second or third printing. Rudy's great work could be available for years and years to come. The home shop guys of the future wouldn't have to hunt down rare copies or beg for a reprint, or worse yet, get a photo copy from a buddy.

If you want to look into it, let me know, this is my day job, and I'd even consider donating large amounts of time just to help out.

laddy
10-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Hey,
Any news on the Rudy plans???? Hope it is soon! Where can we order a copy?? Thanks Fred