PDA

View Full Version : The Gunsmith Machinist by Steve Acker

joejoe2trucks
02-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Does The Gunsmith Machinist book have plans for a bolt action rifle and are the plans actually useful.
If you were to compare this book to A Master Gunmaker's Guide to Building Bolt-Action Rifles by Bill Holmes which do you think would get an individual closer to being able to construct a bolt action rifle. My personal opinionn is that the Bill Holmes book is a fun book to read and gives a nice broad overview but it is not a reference tool for building a bolt action rifle the drawings are of very poor quality and some of the dimensions seem to be inacurate. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IOWOLF
02-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Bill Holmes may build guns, but his plans suck, and its not just my opinion.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

flatlander
02-05-2006, 01:22 PM
joejoe - Steve's book doesn't contain plans for building a bolt rifle from scratch. However, he does go into how to true up a Rem.700, as well as explain the steps involved in fitting & chambering a barrel for a 700. The book is well-written, and there are plenty of photos which help the reader visualize what Mr. Acker's talking about.

cntryboy1289
02-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Joe, the drawings are not drawn to a scale. You will need to make your own drawings on paper and then to metal according to the actual measurements given. I like the book, and I agree that there are somethings that was left out either on purpose or by just plain forgetting to write anything on subjects like the extractor for instance.

I have been trying to decide if I am going to use the broach to cut the reliefs for the lugs or if I am going to try two use a mill to cut them from the front of the receiver.