PDA

View Full Version : Small c&c table for plastic & light gauge aluminium portable? Where to start looking?

VAMPIK
02-07-2006, 10:36 PM
I have been looking for a device to print very basic patterns (able to cut would be amazing) on to a plastic medium and a light gauge aluminium medium that comes in rolls, 36 inches wide by 100ft roll length. I would like it to be as portable as possible. The only thing that comes close to my need is a HP print device that can't handle the aluminium.

I was told that I should be looking at c & C tables but I don't know where to start??? any information would be greatly appreciated

torker
02-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Would you be thinking of something like a CNC router?

VAMPIK
02-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm not familiar with this at all, would it work from a windows based application or what type of laguage does it need to run? etc.QUOTE]Originally posted by torker:
Would you be thinking of something like a CNC router?[/QUOTE]

Evan
02-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Look into CNC sign making and cutting equipment. These are basically plotters that can both print and handle a cutter for light materials. It's how all the vinyl signage is now made. Almost nobody paints signs anymore. I service this stuff now and then for a local sign maker.

Another option is CNC matte cutters for picture framing.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 02-07-2006).]

Dawai
02-08-2006, 12:08 AM
There are Yahoo groups using old pen plotters with swivel knives.

I think you want a gantry machine.

How much you are willing to spend? You can get something "professinal" or hobby grade?

If you don't build it yourself, look out.

Ebay is covered up with gantry type machines, normally 6-20k.

There are sites, posted here before where you can build one for $25.