View Full Version : Plastic veneer(?)

02-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Anyone know where I can buy some laminated plastic (or whatever). I’ll try and describe what I need. Something approximately 3/32” thick. Either white on the top and bottom and black in the middle or the other way around. Looking into making a special purpose small scale (you know, similar to a ruler or architectural type scale). I’ll be engraving it via a Taig mill. Probably looking for more of a veneer on the top and bottom so the black will show through after the engraving process.

02-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I did a search for "engravable plastic". Here is the first one that comes up on Google:


[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 02-08-2006).]

02-08-2006, 10:27 PM

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 02-08-2006).]

J Tiers
02-08-2006, 11:35 PM
What you are describing sounds exactly like some pickguard material for electric guitars.

Luthier's supply places may have it in sheets.

I would imagine you could get it cheaper elsewhere.

For instance it is still used for desk nameplates and door labels etc, so sign folks and trophy makers might have it also.

02-09-2006, 07:54 AM
As almost always, the first place to look for something should be McMastrer Carr.

They carry this as Blank Engraving Stock in various sizes, thicknesses and color combinations. Adhesive backed or plain. www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com)

02-09-2006, 10:02 AM
As JC Hanum says...try McMaster-Carr for small quantities.
This is common material for engravers, I've referred to it an "Lamicoid". We used to order signs, valve tags and panel labels made from it when I worked in the shipyard.
Most should have it in stock, or find out where they order from if you need a lot.

02-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks ...

02-09-2006, 07:43 PM
For all things Plastic check out US PLastic

Been there, probally broke it doing that