Lathe tailstock alignment: dye on center?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryobiguy
    • Sep 2003

Lathe tailstock alignment: dye on center?

I'm in the process of setting up the ancient South Bend lathe. Previously, before I took it apart and painted it, there were shims raising the tailstock, between top & bottom castings.

Without the shims, an eyeball test (yes, that bad) reveals the the tailstock axis is about .032" lower than the headstock's axis.

I found some info on alignment, mostly regarding the lateral alignment, by taking cuts (near and far to tailstock) and indicating the back side of the test bar.

But then I wondered about just getting it into the ballpark, maybe there's an easy way. If I put a dead center in the tailstock, and dyed the pointy face blue, then affixed a wire or something stiff and off center in the 4-jaw, couldn't I just carefully advance the tailstock and turn the chuck by hand to see where it removes the blue from the dead center? Hopefully it wont scratch up my cheap-o center, but it should reveal a vector of which dimensions are off alignment.

Is this a technique anyone has tried, or is it just a waste of time?

I think this is just a permutation of using chalk and a steady hand to line up work on a 4-jaw.

Dead center in the tailstock and a dead center in the spindle, place a 6" metal ruler between the points, quickly find out whats up.Then shim until the ruler is perfectly straight in all axis.

Comment

• malbenbut
      • Nov 2005

Put a short piece of bar in chuck machine to same dia as tailstock barrel put dial gauge on cross slide clock stub in chuck then tailstock barrel difference is thickness of shim needed
      MBB

Comment

• SGW
        • Apr 2001

...or chuck an indicator in the headstock and run the point around the inside of the tailstock socket, to see what's what.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• Arcane
          • Oct 2002

Don't you have to measure your tailstock diameter, use a depth mic at half that dimension while touching the top of your nuts...or sumthing like that??

Comment

HERE WE GO AGAIN.

------------------
            The tame Wolf !

Comment

Working...
            X