PDA

View Full Version : Rotex Milling machine??

240GTRZ
11-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Hello Everyone,
This my first post here. I'm wondering if anybody has every heard of a Rotex milling machine. Here is a link to what it looks like http://www.lathes.co.uk/rotex, My machine came with both the horz.setup and vert. head setup and the factory stand. When I got it home a took it completely a part and had the parts hot tanked. The machine looks like it was used for about a year and then sat idle for the last 50 years, all the parts show very little use. I was think of using Hammerite Blue paint in the spray cans. Any help with painting? Tricks or tips on smoothing castings? If anybody has seen or knows anything about this miller, let me know. Very much a newbie, but hope to learn much from you boys!

Dan Lewis

chip's
11-30-2002, 08:06 PM
I have a nice little horizontal mill. It's a great little machine. It has alot of capacity for a machine it's size.

RICK DELONG
11-30-2002, 10:31 PM
Hi Dan. I know the machine tool rebuilding companies around here dip the castings in a tank then spread a very thin layer of a laquer based putty over the castings and sand smooth with a DA sander. the putty is the same putty that you would use to fill in the scrathches after sanding body putty. I think it is called Nitrastan? I know guys that have used bondo but had to do alot of sanding.

SGW
12-01-2002, 08:14 AM
A friend of mine took his lathe to an autobody shop and had them paint it with DuPont Imron, or whatever it is. He had all the surface prep and masking one, so it didn't cost all that much.

chip's
12-01-2002, 11:55 AM
Mine was a mess when I got it. I had to tare it all down and get rid of all the sandy grease granuals. I washed it up with good solvent. I primed it, then painted. It worked out great. The flecked paint covered fine and the small chipped spots were filled with spot putty before painting.
Good luck, Rick.

240GTRZ
12-01-2002, 03:58 PM
Chips,
What model of mill do you have and what kind of paint did you use?
I saw a lathe on the net that was painted with a Hammerite dark blue and was thinking doing the same. Any feedback?
Dan

chip's
12-01-2002, 05:34 PM
I believe it is an HM-1. I'm not sure, I'll hve to look. I used krylon smoke gray. It looks really great too. The smoother the finish the easier it s to keep clean, too.
I hope it works out good for you, Rick.

240GTRZ
12-01-2002, 06:47 PM
Rick,
Is your machine a Rotex?
Dan

chip's
12-03-2002, 11:32 PM
Dan,
My mill is indeed a Rotex. It is a great little mill. I wouldn't want to do without it, Rick.

240GTRZ
12-03-2002, 11:41 PM
Rick,
Does your Rotex have both horz and the vert. setup? Do you have any pic's? What about any print info or manuals. I'm glade to hear that I'm not alone. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
Thanks for your reply,
Dan

jlrsn
12-04-2002, 01:15 AM
Dan and Rick,
I also have a Rotex Horizontal Milling Machine, Model: RM-1, Serial No.: 10253. Mine is fully tooled but I don't have the the vertical setup. I have all the parts manuals and original brochures. The Rotex factory is/was located about 8 miles from my house and I went through their attic collecting paperwork after I bought mine back in 1991. I drove by the Rotex factory last week but didn't notice the sign out front any more.

Where are you located? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area (Hayward, Calif.).

I'd like to get some close up pictures of the vertical setup to identify what I need. I'll be happy to duplicate what paperwork I have.

Jim Larsen

[This message has been edited by jlrsn (edited 12-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by jlrsn (edited 12-04-2002).]

240GTRZ
12-04-2002, 10:42 AM
Jim,
Please respect your elders, my is the RM1 #10239 I bet that our machines were in the factory together some 50 years ago. I have the complete head unit and it is completely apart for cleaning. I will take pictures of the parts and also when it is together and email them to you. If you could please take copies for me I would be very helpful. I would be happy to send you money for the the costs of doing it. At present, I have no print info to work with and it would be helpful to have when putting it back together. Thanks for your help, and if you need anything drop me a line zgoo@attbi.com

Dan Lewis

jlrsn
12-04-2002, 11:51 AM
Dan,
I sent you an email. I'll copy the parts breakdown into pdf format and email you that ASAP and follow it up with the sales brochure.

It's amazing that our machines serial numbers are so close. I talked with an old timer at the factory who used to put these machines together and he told me that they couldn't find suitable machines to manufacture their punch presses and decided to build their own. They wanted a semi small yet very rigid machine that would operate to close tolerances. The Rotex mill was born.

Rick, aka chip's,
I'll be happy to share what I have with you also. Give me your email address.

Jim Larsen

chip's
12-04-2002, 08:49 PM
Dan and Jim,
You guys have me beat. My mill is an RM-1
S/N 10344. I guess this just means I have the newest machine.
Jim I would be very greatful for the information. I would be more than happy to pay for it. E-mail me at rick@pompbay.com.
Thanks for the help, Rick.

[This message has been edited by chip's (edited 12-04-2002).]

240GTRZ
12-04-2002, 09:05 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the info!! If anybody need pictures of the miller parts or when it is back together, please let me know. I plan on using a DC gear motor to drive the table feed. That way I can have forward and reverse plus var. speed.

Dan

jlrsn
12-04-2002, 11:43 PM
Rick,
I emailed you a pdf copy of the 1959 parts manual. Where do you live?
Jim

jlrsn
12-05-2002, 12:17 AM
Rick,
The email I sent you was returned as unopenable. Do you have a Acrobat reader?
Jim