X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kenrinc
    • Dec 2004

Double angle cutter

I'd like to mill a block to fit the V-ways on my 10" Logan. I've seen similar people do this when making carriage stops etc.. I tried doing this with a 4-flute end mill on the lathe (don't have a mill) and the work angled 45* .. It worked but it's not up to snuff. It doesn't fit very well. How do people normally cut these?

Ken-
  • Mike Burdick
    • Jan 2003

Ken,

This is how I do mine. I cut them with an end mill using the mill (or lathe) like you did. In addition, I also cut a small vertical grove at the bottom of the "V". This vertical grove is cut using a 1/8" end mill and allows room to scrape them in to any fit your heart desires!

Don't have a scraper? I'll show you how to make one with the materials that you have in your shop. Actually, this is a good project if you want an introduction into scraping. You can even "frost" the sides!

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 02-15-2006).]

Comment

• SGW
      • Apr 2001

I'd do it on my milling machine, but basically the same way. On the milling machine there is also the option of tilting the head, of course.

Your problem is probably lack of rigidity in the setup, which is sort of inherent whenever you try to do milling on a lathe.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• Evan
        • May 2003

"which is sort of inherent whenever you try to do milling on a lathe."

Not always...

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• J Tiers
          • Jan 2004

I HAVE done that with an end mill in a Logan using a Palmgren adaptor. Worked fine.

Yes it is somewhat bouncy, so don't take big cuts.

Use the biggest end mill you have, so as to take final cut in one pass. That way it is at 90 deg.

The Logan has a flat at the top of the V, so you don't maybe HAVE to cut the relief, but I would (and did).

Possible problems:

If your machine is NOT made with V at 90 deg, it may not fit right. That could happen if it was re-ground, since I think they were 90 deg when made. Mine fits, anyhow.

If your V-cut is too deep, you will ride on the flat and not snugly fit the V. Then you just trim down the bottom to suit.
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Furnace
            • Jun 2005

Do it Mike! I'd love to see something hand scraped, especially a project like this. Since its a project on top of my "to do" list when I get my new lathe set up.

Comment

• kenrinc
              • Dec 2004

I looked at this last night and it looks as if the v-way is not exactly 90deg or a combination of the two. I've varified that it is not ridingon the top of the v-way. I guess I could use a 1/8 or 1/4 2 flute and do each angle separate.

Ken-

Comment

• vmil3
                • Mar 2004

Jobs like this are easily done in a shaper too!!
                Doug

Comment

• J Tiers
                  • Jan 2004

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kenrinc:
                  I looked at this last night and it looks as if the v-way is not exactly 90deg or a combination of the two. I've varified that it is not ridingon the top of the v-way. I guess I could use a 1/8 or 1/4 2 flute and do each angle separate.

Ken-
                  </font>
                  Double-check. My Logan is right on a 90, so unless yours looks re-done there is a question. And the beds for 10" and 11" at least, are same dimensions. I have a 10".

There is NO light or space under the 90 deg cut using an end mill on mine. Two different holders, made at different times, neither one scraped.

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• kenrinc
                    • Dec 2004

So my guess is that the cutter is walking. The milling setup I have is less than rigid so my guess is that it's just not cutting straight. It seem to cut better when I increased the speed and took a bit lighter cut. I need to check the z axis on the mill attachment. I have a feeling it's not straight up and down.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                    X